The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
APS Aeon vs. Aeon 2 Studio Monitors
Old 12th August 2018
Here for the gear

APS Aeon vs. Aeon 2

Long time listener, first time caller. The info on here has been very helpful in making my studio monitor selection. So thanks for that! But where I find myself now, is trying to decide between the APS Aeon and Aeon 2. If money wasn’t an issue, I’d go for the Aeon 2, but it’s a bit more than I want to spend at the moment. Has anyone owned both, worked with both, or at least heard them both? Is the Aeon 2 significantly better sounding than its predecessor? Deeper lows, more accurate mids and highs? Looks to me from the specs, that it’s just a little smaller of an enclosure, with slightly more powerful amplifiers and a smaller tweeter. I know its all subjective, but I’d like to hear your opinions all the same.

Thanks sluts,
Mike
Old 12th August 2018
Lives for gear

It’s a sizeable upgrade yes... worth the money!
Old 12th August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencerc View Post
It’s a sizeable upgrade yes... worth the money!
In what ways?

Both of these are on my radar this year.

Wiggy
Old 14th August 2018
Here for the gear

More detailed opinions encouraged! The other options I’m now considering are Klassiks with the sub 10 or Coax with the sub 10. What do y’all think?
Old 27th August 2018
Here is some more impressions and opinions on this thread. I have aeon 2's paired with sub 10. All I can say this is a sublime setup.

APS Aeon 2
Old 27th August 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveMike View Post
Long time listener, first time caller. The info on here has been very helpful in making my studio monitor selection. So thanks for that! But where I find myself now, is trying to decide between the APS Aeon and Aeon 2. If money wasn’t an issue, I’d go for the Aeon 2, but it’s a bit more than I want to spend at the moment. Has anyone owned both, worked with both, or at least heard them both? Is the Aeon 2 significantly better sounding than its predecessor? Deeper lows, more accurate mids and highs? Looks to me from the specs, that it’s just a little smaller of an enclosure, with slightly more powerful amplifiers and a smaller tweeter. I know its all subjective, but I’d like to hear your opinions all the same.

Thanks sluts,
Mike

Hey,

sh*t this is my first post and i have to say something bad.

I worked with the Aeon 1 in a fairly well treated environment for a few month.

I was not really happy with them. The sweetspot is really small with this monitors. As soon as you move your head while working they really lose their accuracy. In the sweetspot they are good sounding monitors but nothing special. At higher volume levels they blow wind in your face from the front ports. Higher levels are usually just required to impress the clients but it is something to keep in mind - not every client wants that wind in his face.

In the price range of the AEON 2 i would rather look at the Genelec 8350. I really fantastic sounding monitor for its price.

If you want to get into monitoring heaven save more cash and go for the 8351. Probably one of the best monitors made in the past few years. My personal weapon of choice.

You will never regret to save more money and go for a good monitoring solution. This and your room will be the factor when it comes down to flawless mix translation.

Give them a listen and judge yourself - those new Genelec´s will put a smile on your face.

Nigel
Old 28th August 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel T. View Post
Hey,

sh*t this is my first post and i have to say something bad.

I worked with the Aeon 1 in a fairly well treated environment for a few month.

I was not really happy with them. The sweetspot is really small with this monitors. As soon as you move your head while working they really lose their accuracy. In the sweetspot they are good sounding monitors but nothing special. At higher volume levels they blow wind in your face from the front ports. Higher levels are usually just required to impress the clients but it is something to keep in mind - not every client wants that wind in his face.

In the price range of the AEON 2 i would rather look at the Genelec 8350. I really fantastic sounding monitor for its price.

If you want to get into monitoring heaven save more cash and go for the 8351. Probably one of the best monitors made in the past few years. My personal weapon of choice.

You will never regret to save more money and go for a good monitoring solution. This and your room will be the factor when it comes down to flawless mix translation.

Give them a listen and judge yourself - those new Genelec´s will put a smile on your face.

Nigel
I am assuming you have not heard the Aeon 2's then?
They don't have a narrow sweet spot and no air port chuffing. I put them on the same level as focal sm9 and event opals in transparency and linearity. Power delivery is excellent for their size and they can really thump when driven.
I have paird mine with an APS SUB 10 and this setup gives me everything i want in a monitoring system.

I have not heard the Genelec 8351's, they look to be great contenders, but they are also more than double the price! I would not consider the 8350's to be on the same level as the Aeon 2's.

these are my thoughts.
Old 28th August 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsixtysix View Post
I am assuming you have not heard the Aeon 2's then?
They don't have a narrow sweet spot and no air port chuffing. I put them on the same level as focal sm9 and event opals in transparency and linearity. Power delivery is excellent for their size and they can really thump when driven.
I have paird mine with an APS SUB 10 and this setup gives me everything i want in a monitoring system.

I have not heard the Genelec 8351's, they look to be great contenders, but they are also more than double the price! I would not consider the 8350's to be on the same level as the Aeon 2's.

these are my thoughts.
No i never heard the Aeon 2. I know a guy who loves them - but he also loved the Aeon 1 before he got the version 2.

I am not sure about the 8350 - these are really good. In the Genelec forum there was also a bit of discussion cause the 8350 showed very good results compared to the 8351.

And Focal SM9 compared to 8351... 8351 is a completely different thing - you have to put them side by side to hear it.

Anyway - i will stand to my recommendation - my recommendation was to give the Genelec´s a listen before buying the Aeon. And also that saving more money and investing in better monitoring is not a bad idea overall.

cheers

Nigel
Old 29th August 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel T. View Post
No i never heard the Aeon 2. I know a guy who loves them - but he also loved the Aeon 1 before he got the version 2.

I am not sure about the 8350 - these are really good. In the Genelec forum there was also a bit of discussion cause the 8350 showed very good results compared to the 8351.

And Focal SM9 compared to 8351... 8351 is a completely different thing - you have to put them side by side to hear it.

Anyway - i will stand to my recommendation - my recommendation was to give the Genelec´s a listen before buying the Aeon. And also that saving more money and investing in better monitoring is not a bad idea overall.

cheers

Nigel
The Aeon 1 and Mk2 do not share similar characteristics. If i had to compare the 2's to another APS product to which it is similar i would say it sounds closer to the Klasik's. As i mentioned in another thread, in comparison the Aeon 2's sound more powerful, the are more linear, better defined stereo image and noticeably more depth than the Klasik's. They are an upgraded version of the Klasik's if you will. Everything i thought the Klasik's lacked are rectified in the Aeon 2's. As you heard it on this thread, they are also a sizeable upgrade from the Aeon 1's. I have not done that comparison as i only briefly heard them in the demo showroom.

Let me clarify, i heard the older 8" Genelecs, can't remember the model exactly (i thought it was 8350), next to a pair of Event Opals. I remember the Genelecs sounding a little more brittle on the top end and they had a mid to low range bump which was obvious when i A/B'ed back and forth. To me the Opals sounded like they showed me a more accurate representation and their stereo depth and precision was nothing short of excellent. I did also audition a pair of Focal SM9's, which i ended up buying, but the Opals were a strong contender for sure.

I have long sold off the Focal sm9's because i needed to downsize my studio a few years ago. I started with small Neumann's and clawed my way back up to Klasik's and then eventually Aeon 2's, and when i finally moved to a bigger space again, i incorporated the SUB 10 and haven't looked back since.
I thought that if i was going to upgrade again and buy a three way monitoring system that stacks up to the SM9's, i knew it wasn't going to come cheap...

When i found out the Aeon 2's where in stock at my local dealer, i jumped on them without a second thought and traded my Klasik's and have not looked back! I feel that i do not miss the SM9's at all with my current setup. I have also paired it with a SPL madison and RME madi FX card and will be good for years to come.
Old 29th August 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
The Aeon 1 and Mk2 do not share similar characteristics. If i had to compare the 2's to another APS product to which it is similar i would say it sounds closer to the Klasik's. As i mentioned in another thread, in comparison the Aeon 2's sound more powerful, the are more linear, better defined stereo image and noticeably more depth than the Klasik's. They are an upgraded version of the Klasik's if you will. Everything i thought the Klasik's lacked are rectified in the Aeon 2's. As you heard it on this thread, they are also a sizeable upgrade from the Aeon 1's. I have not done that comparison as i only briefly heard them in the demo showroom.

Let me clarify, i heard the older 8" Genelecs, can't remember the model exactly (i thought it was 8350), next to a pair of Event Opals. I remember the Genelecs sounding a little more brittle on the top end and they had a mid to low range bump which was obvious when i A/B'ed back and forth. To me the Opals sounded like they showed me a more accurate representation and their stereo depth and precision was nothing short of excellent. I did also audition a pair of Focal SM9's, which i ended up buying, but the Opals were a strong contender for sure.

I have long sold off the Focal sm9's because i needed to downsize my studio a few years ago. I started with small Neumann's and clawed my way back up to Klasik's and then eventually Aeon 2's, and when i finally moved to a bigger space again, i incorporated the SUB 10 and haven't looked back since.
I thought that if i was going to upgrade again and buy a three way monitoring system that stacks up to the SM9's, i knew it wasn't going to come cheap...

When i found out the Aeon 2's where in stock at my local dealer, i jumped on them without a second thought and traded my Klasik's and have not looked back! I feel that i do not miss the SM9's at all with my current setup. I have also paired it with a SPL madison and RME madi FX card and will be good for years to come.
Cool if those monitors work that good for you.

Anyway - i will stay with my recommendation. In the price range of the Aeon 2 the 8350 is the monitor to beat. Just my opinion.

Few very important things:

I agree that you can hear the general character of a speaker in any position.

But you can never compare what you hear in the frequency range of a monitor if you are not with them in an anechoic chamber.

Most speakers are different constructed - front ports - back ports - no ports - bla bla.

All share different dispersion characteristics in the vertical and horizontal direction.

You move a speaker in your room 10 cm and you get a different frequency response.

Even if you think that you put them in the same spot while listening to them - most likely they will interact different with your room - even if just the woofer is not as the same height as at the other speaker the response is different.

But as i said - apart from the frequency response everything else like imaging and so on can most likely be heard.

Just a few things more to consider.

There is the GLM Technologie that comes with the 8350. That means if they sound too bright for you and you hear a mid bump - you make few clicks with your mouse and they sound like you want them to sound.

GLM can do a lot of great things in not so well treated rooms and even greater things in well treated rooms.

All new Genelec´s include their own D/A converter inside the monitor.

You go digital out via AES or (SPDIF with a converter) and you get the cleanest monitoring you can expect. No other D/A conversation - no analog cables.

You get a lot more for the money than just the monitor.

I have not listened to your Aeon 2 and you have not compared them to a new Genelec Monitor set up with GLM.
So our party is over here.

But LiveMike has now two or three probably very good tips at which monitor he should look at.

Nigel
Old 29th August 2018
Gear Maniac

FWIW, I recently upgraded my setup from Neumann KH120s to Aeon Mk1 Speakers. I demo'd a number of speakers in 1200-3000 USD price range, and felt that the Aeons were the best fit for me.

I did get a chance to listen to some MK2s in a friend's studio, but felt the difference in price wasn't worth the difference I was hearing.

A few folks have mentioned finicky positioning with the Aeons- I've not had this trouble, at all. In fact- my old Neumann KH120s had the bass and treble reflecting wildly different depending on where your head was (despite some decent room treatment).

With the Aeons, I'm getting a much flatter image regardless of positioning and the bass is right where it needs to be, allowing me to make more informed decisions. Despite the massive size of the speakers, the sound is controlled and balanced.

If it means anything- I used to have to check all my mixes on studio-grade headphones to really hear everything (and spent a lot of time comparing to the cans).

With the Aeons, that's no longer needed (though I still like to check).

Last edited by Malkit; 29th August 2018 at 05:54 PM..
Old 29th August 2018
This just goes to show, that any monitor can sound wildly different depending on the listening environment. So something valuable to take from this is try and demo speakers in your own space see what works best for you.
Old 30th August 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
This just goes to show, that any monitor can sound wildly different depending on the listening environment. So something valuable to take from this is try and demo speakers in your own space see what works best for you.
I agree 100 %. Probably the most important part in the choose a monitor game.

I met so many young guys and girls just relying on what they read in the world wide web. It is ok for getting ideas what might be worth looking at. What works for me - works for me - and might not work for anybody else.
It is 2018 and trying out various stuff is easier than it ever has been. Save cash, order the stuff you are interested in, try it for 14 or 30 days, do 3 clicks in the webstore to get a free label to send it back.

Just try to see what works best for you.

Nigel
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search