The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Serban Ghenea Price Tag Reverb & Delay Plugins
Old 8th August 2018
Gear Head

Serban Ghenea Price Tag

How much do you think Serban would cost? I'm obviously not looking for exact figures, I'm merely looking for ballpark numbers. I have no idea what his range may be, but I'm assuming he's around 10k per track. Is this close or is this way out of the ballpark? I know some of you on here have worked with him before...any ideas or experiences with his price tag? Thanks.
Old 9th August 2018
Gear Maniac

10g’s seems high! It’s a day of work. Plus a couple hours for some assistants. I’m gonna guess 4g’s
Old 9th August 2018
Contact his management and ask.

He and Manny are booked up by A-listers months in advance. Guys like this are very discerning - it’s not just cost!

For my opinion, and I don’t know 100%, I’d say the first guess was more accurate. He’s the worlds top 1 or 2 pop mixer. It’s almost name your price.
Old 9th August 2018
Lives for gear
The fee for one of the high profile UK pop mix engineers I've used was £2k (about $2,600) plus a 1% royalty. This is a guy with a Grammy and many big hits under his belt (in the UK at least) No doubt at all that Serban would be higher than this. 10k sounds maybe a liiiittle bit high to me, but that is 100% speculation.

These guys make a LOT of money though. The UK guy I'm talking about is probably doing a mix every day, Monday to Friday.
Old 9th August 2018
last thing i remember reading was 10-25k plus 3%
Old 9th August 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by housegezeichnet View Post
last thing i remember reading was 10-25k plus 3%
Well, that's some very good dough if it's true. I wonder how many mixes he does in a year? I gotta say, some of the records mixed by him do sound incredible but of course you can never be sure how much of that is down to the production rather than the mix engineer.
Old 9th August 2018
Lives for gear

10k sounds really high, but you never know.

Anyone know how many albums he does a year?
Old 9th August 2018
Last time I used him (late last year) he was in the 6-7k range
Old 9th August 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMagician View Post
Last time I used him (late last year) he was in the 6-7k range
How did you like the result?
Old 9th August 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-S-Q View Post
How did you like the result?
I've used Serban many times. He is one of the more consistent mixers I've worked with. He gave us a really solid mix, big drums , vocal up front. He is always good to do a few tweaks to make you happy.

Having said all that, he isn't magic, the mix will sound better then what you send him, but at the end of the day it's only worth it IMO if the song is amazing and you want (and can) take it to radio. If not there are tons of guys in the 2k range with tons of credits who will give you a fantastic mix.
Old 9th August 2018
Quote:
I've used Serban many times. He is one of the more consistent mixers I've worked with. He gave us a really solid mix, big drums , vocal up front. He is always good to do a few tweaks to make you happy.

Having said all that, he isn't magic, the mix will sound better then what you send him, but at the end of the day it's only worth it IMO if the song is amazing and you want (and can) take it to radio. If not there are tons of guys in the 2k range with tons of credits who will give you a fantastic mix.
Did he take royalties?
Old 9th August 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
Contact his management and ask.

He and Manny are booked up by A-listers months in advance. Guys like this are very discerning - it’s not just cost!

For my opinion, and I don’t know 100%, I’d say the first guess was more accurate. He’s the worlds top 1 or 2 pop mixer. It’s almost name your price.
Eventually I will, however, I want to be as professional and as ready as possible for when I do. I need to at least know a rough ballpark number before I do that. But yes, I'm worried about the discerning aspect. I'm assuming there is a chance that he may not be able to do it since I'm a self funded nobody without a label. But I'll try my best regardless.
Old 9th August 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by crille_mannen View Post
Did he take royalties?
Yes he will want a royalty (every top mixer does).
It's rare , but not unheard of, for him and other top tier mixers to take
independent and self funded projects, but they'd have to be completely knocked out by the music.
Generally when I book Serban or Brauer or any of the guys, I generally reach out
about 6 weeks before I know I need the mix completed. The manager is the person you'll need to reach out to and communicate with, at least up to the point of the actual mix.

Hope this helps...
Old 9th August 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
independent and self funded projects, but they'd have to be completely knocked out by the music.
Generally when I book Serban or Brauer or any of the guys, I generally reach out
about 6 weeks before I know I need the mix completed. The manager is the person you'll need to reach out to and communicate with, at least up to the point of the actual mix.

Hope this helps...
Thanks! Yes, that definitely helps.
Old 14th October 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:

Hope this helps...

And how can you manage and get a royalty agreement with your mixer? are the company / artist / or artist's manager willing to?

sorry for my inexperience regarding this matter...
Old 15th October 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiosQ View Post
And how can you manage and get a royalty agreement with your mixer? are the company / artist / or artist's manager willing to?

sorry for my inexperience regarding this matter...
It’s part of the dealing with the label - the same way the producer gets points. It’s not publishing royalties, so they wouldn’t benefit from any cover versions being made - just from sales or any other revenue stream from the master recording.

The artist doesn’t generally have to get involved unless they’re self funded (in which case the royalty would rarely be worth it); it’s between the label and the mix engineer.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search