The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Q2 Audio Compex reissues - got the magic?
Old 31st July 2018
Gear Addict

Q2 Audio Compex reissues - got the magic?

Anyone using the Compex reissues by Q2 Audio, either the rackmount or the 500 series module, do they have that magic even similar to the original?

Hard to believe a 500 series module, mostly SMT inside, could have the same power, punch and aggression of the original in this case...though I could be wrong.
Old 6th August 2018
Gear Addict

Anyone?
Old 7th August 2018
Gear Addict

I have not heard them in direct comparison to the original, but everytime I've worked with Compex re-issue, I was very happy to say the least :-)
Old 24th August 2018
Here for the gear

I just had a Q2 Compex reissue in my studio to compare to my vintage Compex.. courtesy of Vintage King. I was expecting it to be close, but not the same as the original.. but in fact I was shocked at how EXACT they got it. After a bit of tweaking to get the compression & output volume the same.. I literally could not tell them apart. I did several blind tests and was never successful in picking which was which. The reissue has all the mojo of the original without a doubt and I've been using vintage Compexes for 20 years. I only tried it on drums (because once you've heard it on drums you don't want to take it off anyway).

The single issue I had is that the Compex comes standard as unbalanced (as did the original) . That may not cause issues in your studio, but unbalanced gear always picks up hum in my studio, so if there's any possibility of that I would recommend that you get the Compex with the transformer I/O. It should be noted that my vintage Compex also had the same problem with picking up hum when I first got it, so I had Cinemag transformers installed and it's dead quiet, so the reissue would be the same deal. As far as I can tell, it's exactly the same as the original, but with better pots and switches. Sonically, no difference.

I haven't tried the 500 series Compex yet, but judging by how this one sounds, I'm pretty confident that they would get that one right too.

Vintage King has an excellent 30 day return policy so that's a pretty good deal to make sure you're happy with it, but if you like the sound of the vintage Compex, the reissue absolutely has it.
Old 25th August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTRSHK View Post
I just had a Q2 Compex reissue in my studio to compare to my vintage Compex.. courtesy of Vintage King. I was expecting it to be close, but not the same as the original.. but in fact I was shocked at how EXACT they got it. After a bit of tweaking to get the compression & output volume the same.. I literally could not tell them apart. I did several blind tests and was never successful in picking which was which. The reissue has all the mojo of the original without a doubt and I've been using vintage Compexes for 20 years. I only tried it on drums (because once you've heard it on drums you don't want to take it off anyway).

The single issue I had is that the Compex comes standard as unbalanced (as did the original) . That may not cause issues in your studio, but unbalanced gear always picks up hum in my studio, so if there's any possibility of that I would recommend that you get the Compex with the transformer I/O. It should be noted that my vintage Compex also had the same problem with picking up hum when I first got it, so I had Cinemag transformers installed and it's dead quiet, so the reissue would be the same deal. As far as I can tell, it's exactly the same as the original, but with better pots and switches. Sonically, no difference.

I haven't tried the 500 series Compex yet, but judging by how this one sounds, I'm pretty confident that they would get that one right too.

Vintage King has an excellent 30 day return policy so that's a pretty good deal to make sure you're happy with it, but if you like the sound of the vintage Compex, the reissue absolutely has it.
Thanks for sharing! I’ve been waiting to pick up a used reissue, but they don’t come up often!
Old 25th August 2018
Lives for gear

I have used both and thought the reissue was as good or better than the old ones.......
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search