The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Custom Discrete 2-Buss - "The Boy Box"
Old 3rd August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by burns46824 View Post
No, they're +4. Is there some magic to unbalanced inserts? haha
Not at +4.. usually single ended output has 6db less headroom. Are you sure there +4? Did you measure?

SSL console's inserts have 0dbm output and essentially single ended, (low side is just 10 ohm off ground) 50 ohm output.. really match's vintage gear well.. and all outboard in my opinion..

I say in my opinion for now on to keep the moderator off my case.. lol
Old 7th August 2018
Hmm...so the Italian company I was going to use to make this is apparently "on vacation" until the end of the month. Does anyone recommend any American companies that could make this?
Old 7th August 2018
Lives for gear

They'll build you a better one after a vacation. It is august!
Old 7th August 2018
Lives for gear

Try NRG audio out of Modesta Cali. Guy is building me some REDD 47 preamps, im designing the faceplate right now but he has all the parts and is making it easy to repeat order when i want to grab oanother.
Old 7th August 2018
Hard to understand the mindset of European companies that take an entire month off. Stagger your vacations, d00ds. Well, there's a reason why America kicks economic butt...

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuc647 View Post
Try NRG audio out of Modesta Cali. Guy is building me some REDD 47 preamps, im designing the faceplate right now but he has all the parts and is making it easy to repeat order when i want to grab oanother.
Thanks for the tip...googled it but didn't find anything...
Old 18th September 2018
Just a tease...will reveal final photos later...
Attached Thumbnails
Custom Discrete 2-Buss - "The Boy Box"-bb-tease-1.jpg   Custom Discrete 2-Buss - "The Boy Box"-bb-tease-2.jpg  
Old 7th October 2018
Finally done...wowzer...here are some pics and a technical video:

YouTube
Attached Thumbnails
Custom Discrete 2-Buss - "The Boy Box"-img_6780.jpg   Custom Discrete 2-Buss - "The Boy Box"-img_6773.jpg   Custom Discrete 2-Buss - "The Boy Box"-img_6763.jpg   Custom Discrete 2-Buss - "The Boy Box"-img_6770.jpg  
Old 8th October 2018
bump

(posted Saturday night haha)
Old 8th October 2018
Lives for gear

Looks great!
Old 8th October 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12tone View Post
Looks great!
Thanks! Portland Pro Audio's craftsmanship and attention to detail with custom gear is excellent.
Old 9th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by burns46824 View Post
Thanks! Portland Pro Audio's craftsmanship and attention to detail with custom gear is excellent.
Yeah, the innards - looks real!

But - I could do without such a present presence of Mr O'Dowd on the faceplate...

if an image were to be chosen, I could think of better candidates. Perhaps, one Mr Bob Marley? Henceforth could be entitled "Jah Box"...Astor Piazzolla -> "Tango Box", Mark Mothersbaugh -> "DEVO Box", Igor Stravinsky -> "Firebird Box", or "Le Sacre du Printemps Box", etc...
Old 9th October 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12tone View Post
Yeah, the innards - looks real!

But - I could do without such a present presence of Mr O'Dowd on the faceplate...

if an image were to be chosen, I could think of better candidates. Perhaps, one Mr Bob Marley? Henceforth could be entitled "Jah Box"...Astor Piazzolla -> "Tango Box", Mark Mothersbaugh -> "DEVO Box", Igor Stravinsky -> "Firebird Box", or "Le Sacre du Printemps Box", etc...
I highly "Dowd" it would look cooler...
Old 11th October 2018
Lives for gear

Is this for recording Glee Club recitals?

I kid, I kid!

I’m actually doing something (somewhat) similar, but with off the shelf gear, by adding an API 8200A (line/sum mixer with 2520 op amps and 2623 x-fmr on its 2-bus) off my ‘lil Toft ATB mixer.
Old 12th October 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by string6theory View Post
Is this for recording Glee Club recitals?

I kid, I kid!

I’m actually doing something (somewhat) similar, but with off the shelf gear, by adding an API 8200A (line/sum mixer with 2520 op amps and 2623 x-fmr on its 2-bus) off my ‘lil Toft ATB mixer.
Cool idea. Let us know how it turns out.
Old 15th October 2018
Update...The Boy Box sounds great! Been doing some extensive listening tests comparing it to the IC-based Mix B pathway on the console. The Boy Box is definitely superior. More definition to the sound. The noise floor of the master fader is also very low (and very consistent), probably thanks to the dedicated 16 V power supply for the discrete amps. Very impressed...can't wait to mix through this thing.
Old 17th October 2018
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search