The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Curve Bender vs TC Swift Equalisers (HW)
Old 16th July 2018
Gear Nut
Curve Bender vs TC Swift

Looking at these booth for mix bus mojo pre my RND Master Bus processor.

I wonder if the Curve Bender price tag is worth it given it has more freq selection, while the Thermionic Culture Swift is limited?

I have a Culture Vulture, I love that valve sound. That hair, would an EQ from Thermionic Culture be redundant in that sense?

Just looking for general impressions and experience using.

In addition to mix bus, how about sculpting kick and general low end on individual tracks?

I Love my Chandler and Thermionic gear... hard to pick.

Last edited by augustin187; 16th July 2018 at 05:37 PM..
Old 16th July 2018
Gear Nut
Im netting out at getting The Swift + an API 5500 instead of the Curve Bender.
Any objections? Any passionate disapproval?

I sum through a RND 5060, so its fun to have separate units to strap across different busses, mix bus included.

.... did someone say "____ them all?"

oh "GET them all" phew thought i misheard!

Im happy with my Kush Electra as well, so looking to round out the flavors. Any thoughts would be great. Will be stacking the coin for a minute.
T
Old 16th July 2018
Gear Addict

If you are buying new, it would be great for everyone on GS if you auditioned them all from a dealer and posted the results.

I would be surprised if you couldn’t make a commitment to buying one or two and have a dealer allow return after you decide on the keeper(s).

Quote:
Originally Posted by augustin187 View Post
Im netting out at getting The Swift + an API 5500 instead of the Curve Bender.
Any objections? Any passionate disapproval?

I sum through a RND 5060, so its fun to have separate units to strap across different busses, mix bus included.

.... did someone say "____ them all?"

oh "GET them all" phew thought i misheard!

Im happy with my Kush Electra as well, so looking to round out the flavors. Any thoughts would be great. Will be stacking the coin for a minute.
T
Old 18th July 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
I have a Culture Vulture, I love that valve sound. That hair, would an EQ from Thermionic Culture be redundant in that sense?

Hi, I own the Swift and can tell you it wouldn't be redundant - i.e., more of that Thermionic Tube-y hair. The Swift is quite clean and Hi-Fi, for lack of a better term. Pairs great with the other Thermionic gear I have (Fat Bustard & Rooster).
Old 18th July 2018
Love the Swift, it has a very airy, pure sound. Super clear, but fat and punchy.
Old 19th July 2018
Gear Nut
Thanks for the replies!

Im thinking about trading in my Culture Vulture and paying the difference for an Anniversary Edition with the stepped controls and some other bells and whistles.

What is your chain with the CV on the master bus with The Swift, what order do you put it in?

With synths and electronic percussion sound designy type stuff I like to send an element to the electra and eq into the CV and bring that up parallel. Usually printing it back in pre summing.

I also put wildly different settings on the left and right channels of the CV and send mono signals to that, level matching-ish and using the different characters to ad width to a mono signal. Its nice to hear a guitar or synth break up differently in the stereo field.

Any advice on how to use the CV on the mix bus would be cool to hear.... thanks for the thought
T
Old 20th July 2018
Lives for gear

Well, I'm a big fan of the Curve Bender. Use it on my 2-bus in every mix I do since i bought it 5 years ago. Sometimes I don't actually eq, just run the signal thru it. Incredible vibe and tone. Never tried the Swift.
Old 3rd August 2018
Gear Nut
Now I’m spinning around the curve bender plus the Bax!!!

The endless search.

I’ve used a CB before. But it was brief and it was an external extra setting. More of a parallel effect to some synth percussion. Felt like a reamp move. So my associations are that it is great. But wrongly that it is extreme.

I had the older version of the clariphonic. And I imagine that I will be betting one of those MS versions.

I wonder if it’s mania. If it’s overkill to go curve bender - Bax - clariphonic

I love thermionic gear. I’d like to get the Swift in there! And the api!!!

I’ll try and try them all asap.

In this list I wonder where the redundancy is:

The Swift
Api 5500
Dangerous Bax
Clariphonic
Curve Bender

Just thinking out loud.
I’ll poat any impressions I get.
Not sure where to try a Swift in NYC

T
Old 3rd August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Now I’m spinning around the curve bender plus the Bax!!!

The endless search.

I’ve used a CB before. But it was brief and it was an external extra setting. More of a parallel effect to some synth percussion. Felt like a reamp move. So my associations are that it is great. But wrongly that it is extreme.

I had the older version of the clariphonic. And I imagine that I will be betting one of those MS versions.

I wonder if it’s mania. If it’s overkill to go curve bender - Bax - clariphonic

I love thermionic gear. I’d like to get the Swift in there! And the api!!!

I’ll try and try them all asap.

In this list I wonder where the redundancy is:

The Swift
Api 5500
Dangerous Bax
Clariphonic
Curve Bender

Just thinking out loud.
I’ll poat any impressions I get.
Not sure where to try a Swift in NYC

T
Bax and Clariphonic might be redundant.
Old 4th August 2018
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelrod View Post
Bax and Clariphonic might be redundant.

That makes sense

I’m leaning toward the TT HLT2A vs the Bax

And the curve bender for flavor over the 5500.

Wish they were the cheaper choices

Then I’ll be complete person right?!?!
And my lyrics will be both universal and unique.
Old 4th August 2018
Gear Head

Quote:

Then I’ll be complete person right?!?!
Have you considered a fully parametric eq? All the models you have mentioned use fixed frequencies.

Old 4th August 2018
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by coso View Post
Have you considered a fully parametric eq? All the models you have mentioned use fixed frequencies.

I do like my options limited. Helps me move forward. I also have the Electra. Which isn’t what you are talking about exactly. But it can swing around.

Thanks for pointing that out. I’ll think more on it.
Old 5th August 2018
Lives for gear

I wonder how the new WES parametric would go in this application. Recall functionality would be a godsend!
Old 6th August 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by coso View Post

I agree here. Good point

You will need one EQ that can get to any specific frequency. Exactly what you don't have is what you will need some of the time.
Old 6th August 2018
Gear Nut
The Electra can get in there in between. Well not everywhere.

Any other suggestions?

Y’all go fully parametric on 2 bus?
Old 6th August 2018
Gear Nut
Those GML knobs are very good looking. I’ve used the 8200 on a cranky 12 string stem. Big beautiful clean precise all the good things. But I guess Wrong or right I think about spending money on analog outboard for flavor over function. And get my function ITB. Depending on the function of course
Old 5th March 2019
Here for the gear
I have an api 5500eq,API 550A, bettermaker 232p eq, dangerous bax eq & my baby the maselec mea-2 eq, and I also was looking for a nice tube eq like the tc swift to throw into the chain also maybe after the tc kite in combo with the swift for tube love that’s my eq chain so far anybody have any opinions on the tc gear ?? I haven’t had the pleasure of demoing any of the thermonic gear and the reason I decided to go with TC stuff is the Manley massive passive which was 100% was my tube mojo eq with my maselec but UAD killed it because there in the box massive passive sounds identical which made my head go������ boom ! So I’ve decided to get a tube eq that there is no plug in emulations so I was drawn to the TC SWIFT AND KITE !!! also to clue everyone in I strictly mix and master EDM, TECHNO !!!! I could use some insight from anyone using the TC swift and some of my other eq’s in my chain with the swift and tc kite as well ?? I use my maselec mea-2 in everything on my mastering but on occasion on the mix bus but usually it’s the bettermaker 232 p on the mix bus ! So anyone have any insight and experience using the TC Swift in combo with any of the gear I’m using !!! I haven’t purchased the TC swift yet ! But I am very close to !!! I’m not sure if also adding my compressors would help in the combo but here it goes 2 Dave Hill Titans , 2 Distressors EL8X,TubeTech Lca2A , Manley NuMu, dangerous compressor, API 2500, API 527, everything is going through my cranesong Hedd quantum and Burls for my option of ad/da So anyone think the TC swift & kite will play nicely in my rack ???

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search