The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Fearn VT5 or Retro 2a3 (Powerstrip EQs)
Old 14th July 2018
Gear Maniac

Fearn VT5 or Retro 2a3 (Powerstrip EQs)

Hi, I will get a second Powerstrip next week. The EQ is the same like the Retro 2a3, so I’m going to use it for mixing duties (mixbus mainly).

Is it worth getting the Fearn VT5 when I already can use the Powerstrip EQs?

I don’t have the possibility to test Fearn gear... otherwise I would have tested already. But I always wanted to have some Fearn gear. Love the red color
Old 15th July 2018
Lives for gear

You can demo Acustica Audio's Ruby, it's officially endorsed by Fearn and is as close to the hardware as possible..... and yes I've used both Ruby, VT4's, and VT5's. Outside of that the VT EQ's are petty special IMHO and worth every penny. I'm teaming Ruby here with my VT-7 and VT-1.
Old 18th July 2018
Gear Maniac

I like the Retro EQ... But the Fearn VT5 is one step up IMO!
One set of controls that work on both channels simultaneously, perfect for stereo steams. It’s much more expensive. Honestly, worth every penny...
Old 18th July 2018
The Fearn is one of the most amazing things you will ever hear
Old 19th July 2018
Lives for gear

If this fearn is the model with 2db increments it’s far too much for my taste and put me off a few times buying a matched pair. something of this ilk should be .5/1db imho like the pulse mastering jobs
Old 19th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggy Neve Slut View Post
If this fearn is the model with 2db increments it’s far too much for my taste and put me off a few times buying a matched pair. something of this ilk should be .5/1db imho like the pulse mastering jobs
The Fearn VT EQ's are Pultec style EQ's not meant for precision Mastering work, they are amazingly smooth mix EQ's.
Old 19th July 2018
Gear Maniac

ok, thanks for all your opinions
Old 19th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will The Weirdo View Post
The Fearn VT EQ's are Pultec style EQ's not meant for precision Mastering work, they are amazingly smooth mix EQ's.
Yup that’s what I’m after hence why I referenced the pulse ones. I’ve got the surgical side covered with a GML 8200 if required but really looking for a butter eq like these ilk.
Old 19th July 2018
Lives for gear

Another vote for the VT5.

I've had the Powerstrip (great tool), but ultimately found I could get a sound I liked just as much ITB using AA's Ruby. The new RubyHD version is even better. Give that a pop as Will suggests.
Old 8th October 2018
Gear Maniac

I demoed the Ruby plugin and compared to my retro Powerstrip EQs , well, perhaps it’s because one is software and the other hardware, but my Retro EQs sounded clearly better to me. The Ruby (VT5) emulation is a damn good plugin eq though.
Old 19th November 2018
Here for the gear
Fearn VT-4

I have two Fearn VT-4's one left one right..I also have the VT-2 and the VT-7.. It is quite the combination...
Old 19th November 2018
I have been very impressed with the quality and sound of all Fern audio equipment. Its a joy to use every time.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search