The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
SSL AWS948 - Low signal into External Inputs?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

SSL AWS948 - Low signal into External Inputs?

Hello Slutz!

Sitting here with a problem with my AWS-console. I was connecting an external CD-player to use with some reference CDs...but I can hardly get any signal into the EXT-inputs of the console. I am using the balanced output on the CD-player straight in to the EXT B-input (balanced in). The same thing happening with EXT A so it should be something I am missing with this. Is there a switch (or internal routing) somewhere for unbal/bal (-10dB/+4dB) or is it something else I am doing wrong here? I have tried with different CD-players (both with unbal and bal connections) but with the same results. If I turn up the monitorvolume to MAX I can hear some music but you have to be quiet to hear it, if you speak with someone you wont hear anything.

Checked the manual but couldnt find anything about this little "issue"...maybe it is in there somewhere but I thought I would check with you first if someone else been through this.

Best!
/Mike
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
What is the max output level of the CD player in dBu? It's either too low, or maybe your cabling is unbalanced into the console. Although even a low, consumer level would still tickle the meters a bit.

Console external inputs are generally fixed +4 dBu line-level.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by brew View Post
What is the max output level of the CD player in dBu? It's either too low, or maybe your cabling is unbalanced into the console. Although even a low, consumer level would still tickle the meters a bit.

Console external inputs are generally fixed +4 dBu line-level.
Yes, that's what I thought about the line-level so it should work just fine with a balanced output from a good CD-player (Cambridge Audio Azur 851C). But the level on the meters (on the console) reads -40dB (as highest) so something is really wrong here.
I just read that the Cambridge 851C CD-player has an internal digital adjustable level that you can run from your remotecontrol. I havent checked this yet but will do when I get to the studio tomorrow. I hope that's the problem...then its easily solved. Otherwise I have to check if the DB25-connector is broken somehow (or the cable).

I'll get back later!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Why don't you try plugging the +4 dBu oscillator into the inputs. Then you know it's your CD player or not.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Problem Solved!!

Yepp, it was the internal digital volume on the CD-player that was put down about -30dB. The guy I bought it from must have done it with purpose to trick me...he he.
Well well, everything is working fine now so now its time for some mixing.

Thanks for your input brew!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search