The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
High end Neve / SSL consoles and their running costs Consoles
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilRoy View Post
The initial costs have been: Moving it = $1,500. Cooling it = $1,200. Unlke my old Mackie, it runs hot and I don't want to fry it so it's time to install the split AC system I've been wanting. Gotta get an electrician to run a dirty circuit also. Isolated ground = $100. Been meaning to do that anyway, also. Cable = $500 so far, just to wire it as a simple 8 track setup. I'm about 1/4 of the way to a fully wired 24 track studio. fTech guy = $1,000 so far. My analog console has digital switching and automation, which means eprom chips. I didn't want to see my console turn into a brick if they fried so I cloned them. I also picked up dynamics cards and parts for another $1,000. Still have to hire the tech guy to test and calibrate before I can call it commissioned. High end is expensive.
Not off topic at all, this is exactly the question being asked.

The costs can be shocking, especially if you need to pay techs.

To give the other perspective of console ownership, my costs so far have been;

Diesel to collect - £100 ish
Cooling it - £0 I live in Yorkshire natural weather based cooling here.
Mains wiring - £0 I would have done the same work on that whatever console/system I was using.
Cable and connectors around £500 but this is the whole studio (recycled multicore) and would have needed that for any recording setup
Tech guy - £0 that's me so a fair few hours.
Parts - probably around £50 (some caps and other components)
I did have to spend a small amount on getting the power supplies to spec by the guy who really knows those supplies, but he lives near so I could just drop them off to him saves a bunch on call out. Can't remember but around £180.

So it can be reasonable after the initial wedge for the desk but learning to maintain it yourself is the key to sensible console ownership.

I have never regretted buying my LFAC and it's certainly brought me more work than it cost.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

SSL 9k in the San Francisco/Bay Area averaged around $1200/month.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Knowing the power draw per console and per channel would be rather useful. Then you could make an estimate of the running costs.

Great thread in general though. I would like a console down the road, having some real world numbers of the true cost of using it is very beneficial.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search