The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
SSL 6040 Question Consoles
Old 11th July 2018
Here for the gear
SSL 6040 Question

Greetings All, First time poster. I hope I do this correctly. I have access to an SSL 6040 from the early 80s with a G+ computer upgrade. It has 24 modules with brown eqs and 16 modules with orange (pultec) eqs. All have been recapped, the 10 main audio four pole switches have been changed, and the 6 six pole (dynamics/eq) switches have been changed. (The two pole buss switches have not been changed). There is no Total Recall, however it has the connectors on the main module board. My question is regarding interests for these two types of channel strips. Is there any? I'm trying to decide on whether or not to just sell the board as a whole or part it out. Thanks for your input.
Old 12th July 2018
Here for the gear
I'm starting to wonder if this is a taboo question or discussed thoroughly in the past (I didn't find too much though).
Old 12th July 2018
member no 666

There isn't a large demand for "additional" 6k modules these days... and its a serious pain in the arse to mount / "rack" SSL modules... sell it whole.

Peace
Old 13th July 2018
Gear Addict

How much u take for it?
Old 13th July 2018
Lives for gear

As much as it pains me to say, given I’m a console freak, Fletcher is right so keep it whole.

E series 242 strips are for sale for around £350 so it’s worth more as a console than as a ‘junker’.

Now the question of how much for the whole thing is another story as very few want the overheads of power and maintenance nor do many have the space for the console and it’s ancillary stuff! Hence why many get chopped down to 24 and 16 frames.

You’ve got to be committed to buy one of these and the music making model has pretty much in the main surpassed thus type of workflow.

Again I see consoles and outboard struggling to sell now that so many are used to ITB workflows and the convenience afforded by DAWs and plugs.

Wiggy
Old 13th July 2018
Gear Maniac

Many good points here so far.

Of course, out of the first gen SSL's, the 6000 is sometimes treated as the "red headed stepchild".

I'm seeing a lot of young engineers who wouldn't even take an SSL if it were given to them for free. Perhaps you could find someone who has custom requests and you could work the desk to fit their specific needs. (Chop, mods, etc?)

Most people, like myself, would prefer these old desks with an Atomic power supply and THD Labs computer.

I do hope you sell the desk as a whole as it's best to see these desks still in commission, rather than forgotten history.
Old 18th July 2018
Here for the gear
I appreciate everyone's input. Thanks
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search