The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sony c800g Condenser Microphones
Old 4 weeks ago
  #91
It’s a super expensive mic. I get to work at a place that has one. I can say it sounds good on most people, but... it can be really problematic on sibilant vocalists. It also has a nice flattering rise in the lows that make vocals sound big, but can be a serious issue in a room without proper bass trapping. Neumann m149 is a nice smooth alternative, but it’s a hot mix and loud rappers can overpower it’s output stage A there is no pad.
You have bass trapping in the area you record your vocals? If not I would tackle that first. Then the rapper doesn’t have to eat the mic and you don’t have to filter up over 200hz unless you want that sound.

Also check softubes new Cl1b MII. I recorded some vocals last week. I melted the signal after the preamp, one through an Analog Cl1b and the other straight in. Later I copied the settings in the box. They weren’t exactly the same at first. I had to tweak the threshold and makeup a bit. But when they were matched you couldn’t hear a difference without climbing up your own ass. Every e in the room was impressed. I bought it that day.
Old 1 week ago
  #92
Gear Nut
 

I have owned a C800G for 5 years and I am working with the Redd.Mic and a Brauner VMA. C800G is often difficult to work with. A lot of voices can sound either muddy or too bright. It worked best with a Chandler Redd.47, 2nd best with a BAE 1084. I've sold it, because I was pissed, that it worked only on a few voices. In many cases, a U87 Ai with a good signal chain was equal or even more balanced sounding.

The Redd.Mic is so much easier. It never sounds bad and you can tweak it with the Norm/Drive setting. Love it. Paires well with a Zener Limiter. When I listen back to old C800G recordings, I find there is something wrong with the bass. There is something I really like and something I always dislike with this mic. The Redd.Mic sounds much more "right" with nearly every voice.

I also recommend hearing the new Brauner VMA. Paired with a Massenburg GML2020 (I know it's difficult to find one) an unbeatable combo.

Last edited by Starstreet; 1 week ago at 01:03 PM..
Old 1 week ago
  #93
Lives for gear
 

I tracked with a c800g today. Chain was Avalon 2022 to a cl1b. Oh my gosh did it sound amazing. I actually got depressed because it wasn't mine. Singer loved it too and was totally inspired by the sound.
Old 1 week ago
  #94
Gear Maniac
 

You recommend hearing the “new” VMA. Is there something new with the VMA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starstreet View Post
I have owned a C800G for 5 years and I am working with the Redd.Mic and a Brauner VMA. C800G is often difficult to work with. A lot of voices can sound either muddy or too bright. It worked best with a Chandler Redd.47, 2nd best with a BAE 1084. I've sold it, because I was pissed, that it worked only on a few voices. In many cases, a U87 Ai with a good signal chain was equal or even more balanced sounding.

The Redd.Mic is so much easier. It never sounds bad and you can tweak it with the Norm/Drive setting. Love it. Paires well with a Zener Limiter. When I listen back to old C800G recordings, I find there is something wrong with the bass. There is something I really like and something I always dislike with this mic. The Redd.Mic sounds much more "right" with nearly every voice.

I also recommend hearing the new Brauner VMA. Paired with a Massenburg GML2020 (I know it's difficult to find one) an unbeatable combo.
Old 1 week ago
  #95
Gear Nut
 

They have changed the cable from the power supply to the mic in 2012 or 2013. Old Brauners <2012 have the old Vovox initio cable, new ones have a Vovox Sonorus cable. As you can think, on a lenght of 7.5 m (24.6 ft) this is important. And they have optimized their capsule production. I have two 2018 capsules and they sound definitely better than my 2014 and 2015 capsules.
Old 1 week ago
  #96
Lives for gear
 
latestflavor's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starstreet View Post
.....A lot of voices can sound either muddy or too bright. It worked best with a Chandler Redd.47, 2nd best with a BAE 1084. I've sold it, because I was pissed, that it worked only on a few voices. In many cases, a U87 Ai with a good signal chain was equal or even more balanced sounding.
.......
did you use it in omni? thats usually where i start. frequency characteristic and (obviously) the proximity effect significantly different than cardioid with this mic. Which requires a well treated room or very well treated (and roomy) booth imho.
Attached Thumbnails
Sony c800g-cardioid.gif   Sony c800g-omni.gif  
Old 1 week ago
  #97
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejsongs View Post
I tracked with a c800g today. Chain was Avalon 2022 to a cl1b. Oh my gosh did it sound amazing. I actually got depressed because it wasn't mine. Singer loved it too and was totally inspired by the sound.
Congrats! That's my combination also (except I use an LA-2A or no compression)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starstreet View Post
... owned a C800G ... and ... can sound either muddy ... I find there is something wrong with the bass. There is something I really like and something I always dislike with this mic. The Redd.Mic sounds much more "right" with nearly every voice...
It's funny how people's hearing & taste differ. I own both mics & use them every day. The C-800G has one of the most gorgeous rounded basses I've heard. And as per being "muddy" I've never heard it sound like that. You're right about maybe being bright in some cases (voices) but overall it's very balanced.
I love the REDD & it actually comes close to the Sony but falls a little short of it.

And the Brauners have always been a thing of beauty. Have heard & used the VM-1, VMX, VMA & Phantera but only with the Haun (MBHO) capsule. Haven't heard Dirk's capsule.
Old 1 week ago
  #98
Gear Nut
 

C800G loves Redd.47, because it keeps the bass constantly at the same level. It's like recording with a La2a. And you need to have good singers. C800G on amateur voices is a catastrophe.
The constant bass is one of the reasons, why the Redd.Mic is so good. BTW the mids of the Redd.Mic sound more pleasing than the Sony. So soft and open. I'll still think, the Sony C800g is a bit overrated.
Redd.47 with Brauner VMA in VMX mode is also one of the best things you can have. Heard it against a 1965 Telefunken U67 with a Redd.47. Same direction, but VMX had more highs, what I found pleasing. It's funny, how mics can change with the right preamp. Forget the Haun capsules. What Dirk Brauner is doing at moment with his own capsules is spectacular.
Old 1 week ago
  #99
Gear Maniac
 

This is great to know, thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starstreet View Post
They have changed the cable from the power supply to the mic in 2012 or 2013. Old Brauners <2012 have the old Vovox initio cable, new ones have a Vovox Sonorus cable. As you can think, on a lenght of 7.5 m (24.6 ft) this is important. And they have optimized their capsule production. I have two 2018 capsules and they sound definitely better than my 2014 and 2015 capsules.
Old 6 days ago
  #100
Here for the gear
 

Screw it, get a Telefunken ELA M 251 :D:D:D
Old 5 days ago
  #101
Gear Maniac
 
asylumatik's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
I've been just Reading up it's between a redd and ref c I'll eventually get both but i don't know which one I want first. Whichever I get I'm still getting the cm800t also
Old 5 days ago
  #102
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by asylumatik View Post
I've been just Reading up it's between a redd and ref c I'll eventually get both but i don't know which one I want first. Whichever I get I'm still getting the cm800t also
I think you’ll really enjoy the Ref C! We loved ours so much we got a second so that we could make sure there was one in each tracking room! It really is a great mic and it seems to sound right on 95% of voices.
Old 4 days ago
  #103
Gear Maniac
 
asylumatik's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioGold View Post
I think you’ll really enjoy the Ref C! We loved ours so much we got a second so that we could make sure there was one in each tracking room! It really is a great mic and it seems to sound right on 95% of voices.
I figure that. I might get the ref c AND the redd!! Manley is first in line though. U87ai want bad but on my voice it would have a distorted amp sound that I didn't like.
Old 4 days ago
  #104
Lives for gear
Get it done right the first time.

Asylum,

Early in my recording "career" I attempted to find a suitable alternative to the nevish/sony/tube-tech sound. Ultimately, I stopped with alternatives and bought the signal chain(well almost). I opted for a great river MP2NV for additional "flavor" rather than a neve clone.

My advice: Get the Sony C800g and the tube tech CL1B. They are match made in sonic heaven and will never sound "obsolete" and get any nevish inspired pre.

The C800g hates bad sounding rooms. It will pick up any issues with your room! I miss that mic. I should have never sold it. Sigh.....
Old 4 days ago
  #105
Gear Maniac
 
asylumatik's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngmain View Post
Asylum,

Early in my recording "career" I attempted to find a suitable alternative to the nevish/sony/tube-tech sound. Ultimately, I stopped with alternatives and bought the signal chain(well almost). I opted for a great river MP2NV for additional "flavor" rather than a neve clone.

My advice: Get the Sony C800g and the tube tech CL1B. They are match made in sonic heaven and will never sound "obsolete" and get any nevish inspired pre.

The C800g hates bad sounding rooms. It will pick up any issues with your room! I miss that mic. I should have never sold it. Sigh.....
I thought about and I'm still thinking about it I just talked to Larry from adk and I'm interested in the zmod 800
Old 3 days ago
  #106
Lives for gear
 
latestflavor's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by asylumatik View Post
.....but on my voice it would have a distorted amp sound that I didn't like.
that does not sound like a mic issue esp. with an 87.
Old 3 days ago
  #107
Gear Maniac
 
asylumatik's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by latestflavor View Post
that does not sound like a mic issue esp. with an 87.
It wasn't actually like that just a subtle sound I would compare it to. Like in the 3khz range it sounds like an active amp, like I said very subtle but very annoying.
Old 3 days ago
  #108
Quote:
Originally Posted by latestflavor View Post
that does not sound like a mic issue esp. with an 87.
I've had 87's clash with peoples vocals. Sometimes the workhorse don't wanna work.
Old 3 days ago
  #109
Gear Maniac
 
asylumatik's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G View Post
I've had 87's clash with peoples vocals. Sometimes the workhorse don't wanna work.
Could I please pm you paul? I would like to ask you some questions
Old 3 days ago
  #110
Quote:
Originally Posted by asylumatik View Post
Could I please pm you paul? I would like to ask you some questions
Sure go ahead.
Old 3 days ago
  #111
Lives for gear
 
Will The Weirdo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G View Post
I've had 87's clash with peoples vocals. Sometimes the workhorse don't wanna work.
Yep Paul, and not to mention U87's really never sound great IMHO, but usually never bad. They are a great fall back mic to have around but soooooo many other mics can outshine them, thus a nice mic locker is needed.
Old 3 days ago
  #112
Gear Maniac
 
asylumatik's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will The Weirdo View Post
Yep Paul, and not to mention U87's really never sound great IMHO, but usually never bad. They are a great fall back mic to have around but soooooo many other mics can outshine them, thus a nice mic locker is needed.
I think I'm gonna go with Paul's advice and get the as cm800 then to offset it I'll get the gap 47
Old 3 days ago
  #113
Quote:
Originally Posted by asylumatik View Post
It wasn't actually like that just a subtle sound I would compare it to. Like in the 3khz range it sounds like an active amp, like I said very subtle but very annoying.
It shouldn't distort but the capsule ringing in the u87 is pretty bad around 3khz. The vintage ones are much better in that regard, atleast the ones I've tried.
Old 3 days ago
  #114
Gear Maniac
 
asylumatik's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by crille_mannen View Post
It shouldn't distort but the capsule ringing in the u87 is pretty bad around 3khz. The vintage ones are much better in that regard, atleast the ones I've tried.
I called it distortion because that's the only thing that popped in my head but ringing is the word I was looking for...and yeah it sucks bad.
Old 3 days ago
  #115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will The Weirdo View Post
Yep Paul, and not to mention U87's really never sound great IMHO, but usually never bad. They are a great fall back mic to have around but soooooo many other mics can outshine them, thus a nice mic locker is needed.
Very true Will. I have 2 matched P48's and they sound lovely, quite unlike the Ai's.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump