The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sphere Eclipse Alpha 2
Old 30th June 2018
Lives for gear

Sphere Eclipse Alpha 2

Summer NAMM 18: Sphere Eclipse Alpha 2 |

no drooling
Old 30th June 2018
Lives for gear

O.M.G.
I worked on an original years ago and it's still my fantasy console. Those eqs.....

What a nice surprise.
Old 30th June 2018
Lives for gear

$35k fully loaded w the fab 4 preamps and eq’s. Not sure if that is all graphics or 3 bands or a mix like the API 1608?

SOS online has a Namm interview with Duncan.

Wiggy
Old 30th June 2018
Gear Guru

Pretty cool
Old 1st July 2018
Lives for gear

that's not that bad of a price fully loaded
Old 2nd July 2018
Lives for gear

I wonder what the price is empty?
Old 2nd July 2018
Lives for gear

Call or email Duncan.. I’m sure he’d love to get them out in studios whether they’re loaded or not.
Old 2nd July 2018
Gear Guru

I’ll take a few graphics if they nail the
original-
bass drum.
Old 29th July 2018
Lives for gear

beautiful! finally there are manufacturers who listen. small or medium sized consoles with 500 series slots have been requested here for years. this and the looptrotter modular console are what people have been asking for. great times!
Old 21st August 2018
Lives for gear

any more info? updated pics, specs, features?
Old 22nd August 2018
Here for the gear

Hello fellow gearslutz! I actually am one of three who have an alpha 2 on order . Sadly I have had a financial situation Come up because of a recent diagnosis of lung cancer and am looking to sell my spot in the line to get a console. I had only only paid for the the frame when and master section then I was diagnosed . If interested please feel free to message me . If this belongs in different section please feel free to move it . Thanks as always !
Old 22nd August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamb1993 View Post
Hello fellow gearslutz! I actually am one of three who have an alpha 2 on order . Sadly I have had a financial situation Come up because of a recent diagnosis of lung cancer and am looking to sell my spot in the line to get a console. I had only only paid for the the frame when and master section then I was diagnosed . If interested please feel free to message me . If this belongs in different section please feel free to move it . Thanks as always !
Not asking for ur place but get better man, wish you the best and dont give up, if you need anything or if there is anything I can do, feel free to PM me, Im the director of respiratory care at a small hospital in Texas.
Old 23rd August 2018
Here for the gear

Hey Deuc647, I really appreciate that ! They have caught it really early so hopefully they can knock it out , it's just a bit of a money pit . Hopefully I can find someone to take the console off my hands who will use it because it will me a little while before I can because I've just paid for the frame and won't have the money for some time to fill it up with preamps and eq. I really appreciate your encouragement and thanks to gearslutz for all the informative posts over the years . I'm a long time lurker but this is my first post. Thanks again !
Old 23rd August 2018
Gear Guru

Good luck @ Lamb1993
Old 23rd August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamb1993 View Post
that's sad to hear.
best wishes to you!
get well soon.
Old 23rd August 2018
Lives for gear

Anytime man.
Old 24th August 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by the fxs View Post
that's sad to hear.
best wishes to you!
get well soon.

Thank you my friend I really appreciate the support !
Old 25th August 2018
@ Lamb1993 I hope it all works out for you.

On which EQ comes as standard in the fully loaded price, the website says all are graphic. That could be a bit difficult for recall!
Old 25th August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by javamad View Post

On which EQ comes as standard in the fully loaded price, the website says all are graphic. That could be a bit difficult for recall!
The original Sphere graphic EQs had thumbwheel switches rather than sliders, so if the new EQs are the same in this respect, they'll be easy to recall.

Edit: Actually, as SHRIK points out below, the graphic EQs had lever switches, not thumbwheel switches. But the lever switches are also easy to recall.

Last edited by Steamy Williams; 27th August 2018 at 07:17 AM..
Old 26th August 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamy Williams View Post
The original Sphere graphic EQs had thumbwheel switches rather than sliders, so if the new EQs are the same in this respect, they'll be easy to recall.
I just checked what the thumbwheel comment in the video meant and yes, with that arrangement recall would be easy.
Old 26th August 2018
Gear Addict

I’m curious as to how the new Fab500 pres (those which will be loaded in the Alpha 2 consoles) and the 500 series Sphere 900 eq’s Are going to stack up to the originals Sphere modules. Being 500 series compatible means they’ll run at a +/-16v spec. The Sphere spec was +/-24v. I guess that additional voltage translates into more headroom??? Not looking to argue over the differences, just hoping that the new stuff really sounds good and helps to perpetuate the Sphere legacy. I’m a fan of the sound.

With regards to thumbwheels in the EQ’s: I know the only Sphere 900 series eq’s that used a thumbwheel were the 920’s and 930’s. (900 and 910 didn’t) The thumbwheel was used as a Frequency selector in the HPF. The other nine graphic EQ bands were on a lever switch (forgot the manufacturer name) I hope the thumbwheel isn’t used in Sphere’s new designs. It’s a pain to clean/service and I always felt it was the weekest feeling component on the 900 and 800 series eq’s. A rotary switch would be way better IMHO.

Edit: I just rewatched the SOS video and realized they are doing both a 900 series graphic EQ and a 800 series 3 band EQ. The 800’s use thumbwheels to select the frequency band and shape/behavior of the band. Attached is a diagram from a Sphere manual walking you through the functionality.
Attached Thumbnails
Sphere Eclipse Alpha 2-5599f535-b1cc-414a-b2d7-27934aed2081.jpg  

Last edited by SHIRK; 27th August 2018 at 01:51 PM.. Reason: Adding info
Old 27th August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHIRK View Post
With regards to thumbwheels in the EQ’s: I know the only Sphere 900 series eq’s that used a thumbwheel were the 920’s and 930’s. (900 and 910 didn’t) The thumbwheel was used as a Frequency selector in the HPF. The other nine graphic EQ bands were on a lever switch (forgot the manufacturer name) I hope the thumbwheel isn’t used in Sphere’s new designs. It’s a pain to clean/service and I always felt it was the weekest feeling component on the 900 and 300 series eq’s. A rotary switch would be way better IMHO.
Ah yes, I actually meant to say lever switches, not thumbwheel switches in my previous post.
Old 27th August 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by javamad View Post

The Sphere graphics are very easy to recall. Unlike a regular graphic eq that uses sliders, the Sphere 900’s use a detented lever switch that moves in steps. (the positions are: -15, -12, -9, -6, -4, -2, 0, +2, +4, +6, +9, +12)
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search