The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
AKG-C 61 tube Condenser Microphones
Old 17th June 2018
Lives for gear

AKG-C 61 tube

hi people.

i have a vintage AKG 451eb which i have owned since the 90s.

can anyone give opinions of the AKG C 61 tube mic, and how it compares.

sonic differences etc etc..

thanks Buddha
Old 17th June 2018
Gear Maniac

Yes, I think I can, since I own all three, new AKG C451, old AKG C452/CK1 and C61/CK1.
I made some comparissons, sadly I ain't got the files here.
The difference is very subtle. Really.
My assistant couldn't hear any difference.
I thought I heard a tiny bit.
The C451 or 452 can handle high SPL a bit mor linear. C61 goes into saturation earlier. But very pleasing saturation - soft and smooth like silk, if you don't overstress it. I'd use C61 for tambourine and triangle, but rather C452 on snare.
The newer 451 are brighter and more 2-D sounding. More "plastic", meaning not so pleasing to my ear. Think of comparing Neumann KM184 to old KM84.
My vintage C452 sound 99% close to my C61.
C61 is a bit mor noisy of course.
I had the PSU rebuilt, for adressing those noise issues. And I hand the tubes replaced.
I love the C61 on vibraphone. Nothing comes close, IMHO.
If you ask me, if you should sell the C451EB ang search for a C61 - don't do it, C61 are quite expensive and most of the time you'll get broken ones (=bad tubes). The old 451 is VERY close.
BTW, vintage AKGs react a lot on phantom power supply quality! Don't use your normal go-to preamps built-in 48V source. Try using an external, like Tritone Audio True Phantom (I'm not related with this company, but it makes a huge difference for the better on my C452).
Greetz, t
Old 17th June 2018
Lives for gear

thanks T-Hino.

no i was not thinking of selling my vintage Akg 451eb. i use it lots and its fine.

i was considering adding the C-61 to the collection.

and i already have 2 Neumann pencils kM-184s, and 2 of the newer AKG SE-300B with CK91 capsules.

if the assistant cant hear a difference i guess they are pretty close.

great info. thanks . anyone else?????

Buddha
Old 17th June 2018
I have AKG C-451E, C-451EB and C-452EB mics with various capsules. I also have C-61 mics.

Yes, 451/452 and C-61 mics sound very close...probably because they share the same capsules. The 451/452 in-line pads and swivels will also work with the C-61.

I agree that the C-61 has a slightly higher noise floor, but that never was an issue for me. It uses a Nuvistor, not technically a vacuum tube but affordable and available.

The C-451 preamps will work with any voltage from +9 to +52 VDC. The C-452 works with +48 VDC only. Maybe I'm superstitious, but I prefer the C-452 preamps.

If you want a special vacuum tube SDC, the AKG C-60 might be a better choice. With a CK-28 capsule and AC-701 tube, it has a sweet top end. It will cost you more than a C-61, but should have a higher resale value in the future. Combined with the super-rare CK-4 large diaphragm capsule, it's known as the "Poor Man's C-12".

Last edited by Timothy Powell; 17th June 2018 at 09:18 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 17th June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Powell View Post
If you want a special vacuum tube SDC, the AKG C-60 might be a better choice. With a CK-28 capsule and AC-701 tube, it has a sweet top end. It will cost you more than a C-61, but should have a higher resale value in the future. Combined with the super-rare CK-4 large diaphragm capsule, it's known as the "Poor Man's C-12".
Have you ever compared a C60 to a C28?
Old 18th June 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentvangogo View Post
Have you ever compared a C60 to a C28?
Sorry, I've never used a C-28.

The larger C-28 has internal output transformer and a 6072 vacuum tube. The C-28 shipped with either the CK28 cardioid, CK-26 omni, or the CK-1S cardioid (with a top-end boost) capsules.

The smaller C-60 has an external output transformer located in the power supply and an AC-701 tube. I've seen C-60 mics with either the CK-28 or the CK-1 capsules, but I'm not sure if the C-60 was originally shipped with the CK-1.
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search