The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
SSL Bus Comp vs Obsidian? Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 17th June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
Like it?
I think it’s killer. The guy took the time to really implement the circuit without taking liberties and it sounds like it.

With some pieces of gear, it raises an eyebrow for me when the price is relatively cheap compared to the OG. But knowing what goes into one of these, it’s one of those pieces that always struck me that it would be possible to make at a much cheaper price than SSL.

I thought that the gyraf GSSL and derivatives were a good step towards that, but didn’t quite get it. Hence all of the stuff like the lower ratio and high pass mods...which I think might have come from trying to work around that summed mono detection circuit.

Anyway. The audioscape can do the trick perfectly. The highpass option does wind up being cool, and I usually do keep it engaged. I even like it occasionally as a tracking compressor...kind of doing a pseudo LA3a sounding thing in some ways. I like the work he does; it’s really cleanly done.

I’ve had good feedback from a couple other people who I’ve turned onto them that are generally regarded as pretty golden eared, and with a much higher profile than I have. (I make most of my money nowdays making video, programming music visualizer and related for tours.)

Lately I have been considering picking another one up, because I’m thinking it would be cool to have more than one available for subgroups...ala the Kevin Killen approach basically.

If I was going to criticize anything...maybe it would be the logo not looking super jazzy? I’m straining to find something, but do in the interest of trying to give a balanced critique in comparison to a “real” SSL.

Last edited by toledo3; 17th June 2018 at 07:59 PM..
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search