The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Apogee Element 88 VS Apogee Quartet Audio Interfaces
Old 12th June 2018
Gear Maniac

Apogee Element 88 VS Apogee Quartet

I'm just curious, which interface sounds better, the Apogee Element 88 or the Apogee Quartet?

I'm confused because they are both very similarly priced.

What's the big difference between the two?
Old 12th June 2018
Lives for gear

The Element Series is a newer product. IIRC, the Element uses the AD/DA circuitry from the Ensemble Series, slightly tweaked, preamp/line circuitry from both the Ensemble Series and Symphony Series and the headphone circuitry from the Apogee Groove. It's an impressive hardware package.

Like the Quartet, much of the control is handled via a software application, which obviates the need for analog pots, switches and other controls on the hardware box, thus lowering the production cost.

When I purchased an Element 46 early last year, Apogee told me there was no further development planned for the Quartet other than software upgrades and that the Element Series was the "new kid on the block" and would be supported for a (hopefully) long product cycle.

One potential deficiency with the Element 24 and 46 (but not the 88) is the lack of dedicated analog ins and outs to allow for use of external hardware, such as compressors or reverb units. Of course, it supports ITB processing just like any other computer interface.
Old 13th June 2018
Gear Addict

I will say this and it echoes the above comment; I was in the market for an Ensemble (OG) many years ago and picked a competing product. That competing product continued to receive updates and support long after the Ensemble was obsoleted by Apogee - many years longer.

Suffice to say as pretty as the Quartet is, and as good as it sounds, I'd opt for the newest interface you can get from them so that you get to choose, as much as possible, when it gets upgraded.

My 2c only.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search