The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
BAE 1073mpl D.I. Gain Direct Injection & Re-amp Boxes
Old 10th June 2018
Here for the gear

BAE 1073mpl D.I. Gain

I had recently purchased a BAE 1073mpl and have an issue with the D.I.

I have not been able to get much distortion out of the D.I. when using my jazz bass or es-335.

When using my bass I set the input to the max,
70db, but the signal does not distort. It barely distorts with my es-335.

Is this normal, or is there something wrong with my unit?
Old 10th June 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarGuy92 View Post
I had recently purchased a BAE 1073mpl and have an issue with the D.I.

I have not been able to get much distortion out of the D.I. when using my jazz bass or es-335.

When using my bass I set the input to the max,
70db, but the signal does not distort. It barely distorts with my es-335.

Is this normal, or is there something wrong with my unit?
Welcome to Gearslutz GuitarGuy92
Is it meant to distort? I have a BAE 1073 mpf and if I need to distort it I will run out of the channel and into the second channel (with attenuation down and gain cranked). Otherwise it's just harmonic distortion. I need a really hot input to get 'nasty' distortion.

How hot are the outputs on the jazz bass and 335?
Old 11th June 2018
Here for the gear

I believe the jazz bass output isnt very high, and the es-335 has burstbuckers which I believe are 7.4 and 7.7k.

The signal seems a little weak until about half way, 50db, with the output knob set to max.

I don't really want to distort the bass signal, but rather saturate it a little more.

What do you set the gain to when using the D.I.?
Old 11th June 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarGuy92 View Post
I believe the jazz bass output isnt very high, and the es-335 has burstbuckers which I believe are 7.4 and 7.7k.

The signal seems a little weak until about half way, 50db, with the output knob set to max.

I don't really want to distort the bass signal, but rather saturate it a little more.

What do you set the gain to when using the D.I.?
I'd try setting the output grey knob (attenuation) to near minimum and crank the (red knob) gain; that's what I do for a more distorted sound. Normally I'm the same 50dB gain as you when using the DI or a Radial JDI (into the preamp XLR) with a semi-active Ibanez SR500 bass but usually need a 5-10dB's more gain with single-coil and humbucker guitars; I've been experimenting with the 2 channels in series method for a fatter Tele sound.

A boost pedal or compressor with gain might help get a hotter signal into the BAE DI.

EDIT: of course, there could be a problem with the unit but hopefully not; maybe other users can offer some insight.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search