The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Looking for a specific Lexicon PCM sound in a new product Reverb/Delay Processors (HW)
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Looking for a specific Lexicon PCM sound in a new product

Hello all, I hope I'm posting this question in the right forum.

I've grown weary of buying classic gear on eBay or Reverb, due mostly to damaged equipment arriving via UPS/FedEx etc. Unfortunately, used Lexicons never show up locally.

To avoid this headache, lately I have been buying new gear from local shops. If they don't have it in stock and have to order it, I'd rather deal with the shop than the couriers.

So, I'm asking for suggestions for new gear that can get the PCM 80 sound heard here (Gothic Pad patch) at 2:09? *I don't know why the YT video below isn't starting at 2:09, apologies.*

Thank you to everyone that replies.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
There are only a few choices for current good rack gear that have the mixture of lush verb, tremlo, and delay.

M7
Eventide units, current flagship is FW8000 (They may have a new one out)
Lexicon 96

They would all be able to get that sound. None of them are cheap.

To keep your costs down, A use PCM80 is the right thing. it will cost you much more to get that sound new and current and racked in a single box.

Perhaps the Eventide eclipse will be good enough. I would suggest looking into the eclipse as a starting point.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Eventide's have a lot of presets similar to Gothic Pad. Bricasti cannot do that sound, and PCM92 can sort-of, but isn't great. They don't have a good preset like that, although they do have pitch shifting delays/reverbs/resonators.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Man, now I want a PCM80 and these presets.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

I think these are all PCM81 presets? You might have to play a while before you get them out of a PCM80. Sounds like there's a pitch-shift going on which would need an extra algorithm card for the PCM80.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Snagged a p e r f e c t PCM81 on ebay a few months back for like $400 It showed up loose in a cardboard box with barely any shipping materials - when I opened it up I got that sinking feeling. Incredibly it's been flawless, other than having to spray some contact cleaner in the programmer knobs.

Having to return broken stuff is painful, but there are some things you can look for with PCM units. For example, a common issue is that the input meters will peg even when no signal is being passed. If the photos show the unit powered on with the meters in view, then you can verify that that won't be an issue. That being said, I'm still stuck with a PCM70 that has a sneaky issue on only a handful of presets, so maybe your fears are justified.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanBSC View Post
Eventide's have a lot of presets similar to Gothic Pad.
Also I'd say this is correct. I have an Orville and while there's a lot of PCM81 ground it doesn't seem to cover, the Gothic Pad thing does sound very Eventideish.

Last edited by researchtriangle; 1 week ago at 04:23 AM..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

The PCM 81 is a relatively low risk "vintage" purchase. As long as the screen is bright and clear, it should be good to go. I've had a number of PCM 80's and 81's and while a PCM 80 with the extended memory (40+ seconds of delay) and the Dual FX card is a very flexible beast, the 81 is probably easier to find. As someone else pointed out, the 81 does include some of the Pitch Card FX and therefore can do some sounds out of the box that you can't get on the 80 without the added cards.

I had a PCM 92 for a while and given the other reverbs I had around, it didn't see much use. I seemed to fall back on the 80 or 81 more than the 92 for a more modern Lexicon sound (versus the 480L) or the M7 for a cleaner more transparent reverb. YMMV. There's certainly a lot of folks that love the PCM 92/96/sw versions a lot.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search