The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Looking 4 best combo of compressor, preamp, EQ Audio Interfaces
Old 8th June 2018
Gear Maniac

Looking 4 best combo of compressor, preamp, EQ

So I'm graduating and I got thrown off my family's health insurance and my rent keeps increasing so I'm getting very worried about money.

I sold my car, and with the money I'm going to buy an Apogee Quartet. I have a few questions about connecting it with other interfaces and how its MIDI works but I can save that for a different post.

What I need help with is deciding how to get the most bang for my buck buying the rest of the analog set up.

I WAS going to get a shelford rack unit by Neve. I love everything Rupert Neve creates and it seems like the whole package (unfortunately I think it's only 1 channel so stereo is out of the question).

The thing is, it's SUPER expensive for me, and my music professor, a great, knowledgeable guy) told me that I can find better gear out there for less, and that a large part of the Neve cost comes from the brand recognition.

Does anyone have suggestions? I really like the API 2550 for a bus compressor but I think the best compressors are mastering compressors no? As for EQ, I'm familiar with graphic and parametric. I like graphic better but I heard that parametric is more ideal for audio quality. I looked at a cheap DBZ graphic EQ when I was much more hard for money and never found one in good enough condition. I don't know very much about EQ's, what fakes them better and how they work.

The preamp kind of seems like the least important part since the apogee quart is equipped with supposively the best preamps in the industry, but I variety is never a bad thing. Can anyone suggest preamps?

I probably want to stay away from 500 series equipment and more towards rack units as having a small rack set up should be easier to transport
Old 8th June 2018
JAT
Lives for gear
If you look at most premium channel strips they run $2500-4000. Neve doesn't trade on his name (well, Neve does but RND doesn't) so much as build quality stuff, tools built to last your career. Buying an RND or Aurora, Great Valley etc. means you don't have to worry.

But your prof is correct you can mostly there at a fraction of the cost. All the Warm Audio stuff I've worked with stands up pretty well to the originals and it is fun when you can get a classic sound you've heard on everything recorded since 1960 in your own little studio - "hey, I've heard that bass tone, cool."

I'm kinda wondering about you being worried about money while spending it on sound (unless you are making money w/ your music, then it is an investment), so if it was me in your situation, I'd start w/ the new Warm WA73, their take on the classic Neve pre/EQ. A good place to start and learn. And frankly, having a transformer or two inline during tracking provides a great contrast to most ic pres built into interfaces. And having EQ, too, you can subtract a few frequencies going in (boosting is more problematic) to "preshape" your recording, getting a firmer sound from the get go.
Old 9th June 2018
Gear Nut

"I think the best compressors are mastering compressors no? As for EQ, I'm familiar with graphic and parametric. I like graphic better but I heard that parametric is more ideal for audio quality...I don't know very much about EQ's, what fakes them better and how they work...The preamp kind of seems like the least important part since the apogee quart is equipped with supposively the best preamps in the industry, but I variety is never a bad thing."

No disrespect intended, but, from your initial post, I can tell you lack enough experience that buying any outboard is not a smart move for you right now. You should spend some time working in the box and learning what works for you and how some of these tools sound.

Just work with the preamps on the interface and use plugins to mix. Just make music and have fun! Then once you have more of an idea of what you like from plugins and you have a little more financial freedom, you'll be able to make a better decision for yourself and you'll be able to ask people some more specific questions.

Trust me, I hate it when people don't answer the question in the original post, but I can only offer what I really think based on your statements. You are young and there is plenty of time to spend money on awesome equipment.

Last edited by Dubbin; 9th June 2018 at 02:50 PM..
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search