The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Raindirk mini mixer 1974 Other Modular Audio Processors
Old 7th June 2018
Raindirk mini mixer 1974

Hello friends!
I wonder if anyone has any info about thia Raindirk mini mixer from 1974.
There is very little information about this one..

Anyone knows how it sounds?
Does it have any resemblance to other greats from the same era like Neve, Api etc..

Does it differ much from the Raindirk ”Series 3” console except the obvious?

Any info much much apreciated!
Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
Raindirk mini mixer 1974-d0e17810-ad5c-49a4-bb4c-893606a4e153.jpeg  
Old 7th June 2018
Lives for gear

there was another thread about this model just recently.
Old 7th June 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by the fxs View Post
there was another thread about this model just recently.
Really!?
Where?
Old 7th June 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Krotkiewski View Post
Really!?
Where?
Here.
Old 7th June 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Stone View Post
Thanks!
Im afraid that the thread you are reffering to is mostly about the ”series 3” or symphony consoles.
Im specifically loking for info about the mini mixer.

One of my questions though, was if the mini mixer has anything in common with ”series 3” design.
Old 7th June 2018
Quote:
Thanks!
Im afraid that the thread you are reffering to is mostly about the ”series 3” or symphony consoles.
Im specifically loking for info about the mini mixer.

One of my questions though, was if the mini mixer has anything in common with ”series 3” design.
The Raindirk site (1974 section) says: "We decided to target the smaller format console market at this time to build the Raindirk reputation and designed the 4 group mini mixer and the 8 group series 3..."
So designed concurrently.
Old 7th June 2018
Gear Maniac

I use a variety of older Raindirk modules including Series 3 , I've always been curious to know how the design compares with the mini mixer. if it's similar to the Series 3 it will sound very good.

If you have access to the mixer post a shot of the component side of a module & we can compare pics.

The series 3 uses a Stevens and Billington mic transformer , IC based hi & mid eq with and an inductor for the low end , not a great deal of similarity to classic discrete stuff.

Rupert Neve did buy a Series 3 for one of his ministries and was very complimentary of Cyril's designs.

A member here had a mini mixer years back with the ADR 760 compressors on board.

VintageKing Audio ROCKS!! got my console!
Old 8th June 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Stone View Post
The Raindirk site (1974 section) says: "We decided to target the smaller format console market at this time to build the Raindirk reputation and designed the 4 group mini mixer and the 8 group series 3..."
So designed concurrently.
Kool! I missed that one. Thanks.
However, from all the different pics Ive gathered the mini mixer seem only have fixed shelf freq on Bass & Treble. While the Series 3 has selectable freqs. Atleast on Bass shelf.
Old 8th June 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bramley View Post
If you have access to the mixer post a shot of the component side of a module & we can compare pics.

The series 3 uses a Stevens and Billington mic transformer , IC based hi & mid eq with and an inductor for the low end , not a great deal of similarity to classic discrete stuff.
I´m afraid I don´t have access to it yet.

I don´t know much about electronics, but, isn´t API modules IC based? like 550A/B and the 560?

I have used both API pres/eq´s and NEVE 1073s for many years so I can only reffer to that when talking vintage pre´s & EQs.
Would you say that your series 3 is in the same line, even though it does not sound the same? I mean component and build wise?
If you were to guess, do you think its as expensive build as a vintage 1073 for example?

Thanks a bunch!
Old 8th June 2018
Gear Maniac

Nowhere near the build standard of a 1073 module - going by the Series 3 each module would be a single circuit board & an input transformer , and yes, it's fixed high & low where as the Series 3 is switchable between three freq's. Having said that , Cyril knows what he's doing and these things definitely sound great but I've never done side by side tests with any of the stuff you mention.

I looked at the pics on Reverb and the motherboard & output transformers look very solid.... so does the price , $18,000 !! A 12 input Series 3 with patchbay went at Larking Audio for about £5,000 a few years back.

Here's a pic of an older Series 3 module , gives you an idea of the build.
Attached Thumbnails
Raindirk mini mixer 1974-loder2.jpg  
Old 9th June 2018
Quote:
Nowhere near the build standard of a 1073 module - going by the Series 3 each module would be a single circuit board & an input transformer...

Whoa. I actually though it would have more stuff inside.
Thank you for taking that pic Bramley!

A 1073 looks way more packed and also has tranny is on both in/out if I´m not mistaken? My old Siemens modules I used to have from the 60´s didn´t have a single cm left of space inside it..

Less components can of course be a very good thing, but I want colour, character and thickness!

Would you say your Raindirk is more to the clean side like SSL4000 or does it have more of a vintage tone?

Cmon just say all those nice words we all wanna hear so I can get on with life...

Many thanks for your time.
Old 12th June 2018
Gear Maniac

The mid range has what some here have called a "woody" quality, adds a lot to acoustics and electrics . No where near as clean and pointed as SSL eq.

The bottom end is three freq inductor eq and sounds pretty thick , of course the mini mixer has one fixed freq both top & bottom.

Price is too high IMO. This is the 12 input series 3 that Larking sold for around £5000.
Attached Thumbnails
Raindirk mini mixer 1974-raindirk-ser-3.jpg  
Old 12th June 2018
Quote:
Nowhere near the build standard of a 1073 module - going by the Series 3 each module would be a single circuit board & an input transformer , and yes, it's fixed high & low where as the Series 3 is switchable between three freq's.

Finally got a pic from a channelstrip of the mini mixer.
It was quite different!

The lack of components in the mini mixer compared to the "Series 3" module attached above really worries me!
There´s like a lot of empty small holes where the resistors and other small chromed small parts are that is missing.

oooo I hope I´m not ending up with something totally different sounding worse...

I am not buying the expensive one from Reverb by the way. I´m buying it locally for about 4000 USD

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Raindirk mini mixer 1974-2519e028-cd5b-4e4a-a1b5-62a5ff7b6bc2.jpg  

Last edited by Ted Krotkiewski; 12th June 2018 at 12:59 PM..
Old 12th June 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
The lack of components in the mini mixer compared to the "Series 3" module attached above really worries me!
There´s like a lot of empty small holes where the resistors and other small chromed small parts are that is missing.
should just be optional circuit not used here, more aux or whatever ?
Input trafo is here, as inductor EQ

what about the 089 behind ?

Best
Zam
Old 12th June 2018
Gear Maniac

Sorry about the confusion, the Reverb pics look identical to the one you posted.

Has one more inductor than the series 3 which is interesting.

You could always contact Cyril with technical questions, he has closed the business and site but there's a contact on the site flash page. https://www.caz.ltd.uk/parked/raindirk
Old 12th June 2018
Quote:
Sorry about the confusion, the Reverb pics look identical to the one you posted.

Has one more inductor than the series 3 which is interesting.

You could always contact Cyril with technical questions, he has closed the business and site but there's a contact on the site flash page. https://www.caz.ltd.uk/parked/raindirk

Thats calming to hear! ☺️

Bit whats the big chunks in the mini mixer thats not in the series 3?

But clearly theres alot of small resistors etc missing or am I completely off??
Old 13th June 2018
Gear Maniac

[email protected]

Send him a pic and ask nicely
Old 13th June 2018
Quote:
[email protected]

Send him a pic and ask nicely
Thank you Bramley!
Very appreciated.
Old 14th June 2018
Quote:
This is the 12 input series 3 that Larking sold for around £5000.
Watta heck.. I just decided that Ill buy the damn thing and we’ll see... it cant sound that bad.
Picking it up this weekend.
The local who’s selling it is asking for 3500€.
Would you say its a fair price?

All the best!
Old 15th June 2018
Lives for gear

Yes!! Buy it and be done and send secksy pics!

Wiggy
Old 15th June 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggy Neve Slut View Post

Wiggy
Hahahaha
Will defenitely do.
Old 17th June 2018
Lives for gear

Ted, is the avalon 2055 still for sale?
Old 21st June 2018
Quote:

Wiggy
Hihihi
Here it isss!
I thought it were going to be half the size. Haha. This thing is HUGE!
I feel like a kid on christmas. So happy for this.

Unfortunately I wont have time to set it up yet..
but will send some more sekksyy pics as soon as its up n running.
Sooner or later it will need some service love and recapping..

Thanks so much to @ Bramley and everyone who helped me with this.
Attached Thumbnails
Raindirk mini mixer 1974-797941eb-a70d-4a14-8934-c70785a85732.jpg   Raindirk mini mixer 1974-a2bd5f17-371b-49ec-aed2-5f1c16a317df.jpg  
Old 13th January 2019
Here for the gear

Raindirk mini mixer schematic or psu

Hey guys,

im trying to find a Raindirk mini Mixer PSU or schematic.

Do you know where i can find one ?

Thanks in advance
Old 22nd January 2019
Gear Maniac

Cyril Jones' email is in a post above, he should be able to provide one.
Old 22nd January 2019
Cyril passed away several months ago.
Old 22nd January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
Cyril passed away several months ago.
Sad news.

Big loss and a total gent who went out of his way to help me with my raindirk.

He’s up there with Rupert in my books as an underdog designer who also made exceptionally musical consoles and kit.

Wiggy
Old 22nd January 2019
Quote:
Sad news.

Big loss and a total gent who went out of his way to help me with my raindirk.

He’s up there with Rupert in my books as an underdog designer who also made exceptionally musical consoles and kit.

Wiggy
!!! oh nooo. !!!
=(
What a big loss.

I called him in August on the phone to ask some questions about the mini Mixer and Series 3. He was such a gentleman, we spoke for almost 30 mins, 28 of those minutes was about the weather in England vs Sweden and his garden at his house. He apparently loved his garden very much.

I am very very grateful that I got the honor of speaking with him, and also getting the schematics from him for the Mini mixer before passing away. phew.

Thank you for your great work and mark of history Cyril!
May you rest in peace in happy fader heaven.
Old 22nd January 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by adanetz View Post
Hey guys,

im trying to find a Raindirk mini Mixer PSU or schematic.

Do you know where i can find one ?

Thanks in advance
I have some schematics for the Mini Mixer that Cyril sent me, but unfortunately not for the PSU.

Have you recently acquired a Raindirk Mini Mixer? post some piccs!! =)
Old 22nd January 2019
UGH!!!!!
Sorry, I knew I shouldn't have posted from my phone last thing at night.
It was Tony Arnold (Helios) that died, NOT Cyril. Although Cyril closed his business and retired about three years ago.

Sorry, I'm ashamed.
Back to the 74 desk. I once saw one for sale at Vintage King. I made a lot of enquiries about it and was told it was very similar and build and sound to a Helios console. heirs are absolutely fantastic, so I would personally be very excited about owning a 1974 Raindirk mini console.
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search