The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
How many pros are tracking entirely in the box?
Old 6th June 2018
Gear Head

How many pros are tracking entirely in the box?

I know alot of pros who are mixing entirely in the box, but how many pros are tracking entirely in the box? and what techniques do you all have to make it when tracking vocals in the box have it have more of a analog sound. How do you tame the frequencies so the peaks aren't so harsh?
Old 6th June 2018
Hi,

When you say “tracking in the box’ do you mean mics straight into the pres on the interface an guitars and bass to hi-z inputs on the interface? With all keyboards and other sounds as virtual instruments?
Old 6th June 2018
What's the definition of a "pro" these days? Full or part time?
Old 6th June 2018
Gear Guru

If you're working with a DAW, how do you not track entirely in the box?
Old 6th June 2018
Allot of major label stuff is recorded with an apollo twin and sm7b. At least in Sweden.
Old 6th June 2018
Lives for gear

Most of the peoples that i know mix ITB but still track with Hardware pre's into the Interface-Converter.
I heard some good recording using the Apollo 8P, Antelope Orion Studio and Apogee Ensemble using there pre's and
only there pre's , no external pre's. so i guess it could be done......You still need some good mic.. !!!!!
Old 6th June 2018
Gear Guru

So now, using hardware other than a mic on the way in is considered "working OTB?" I can't keep up.
Old 6th June 2018
Gear Addict

Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
What's the definition of a "pro" these days? Full or part time?
I guess those who produce invoices for they work, as dealing with other registered company in the "industry" !

Best
Zam
Old 6th June 2018
Gear Head

thank you for all the replies. I guess essentially what I am asking is, I know the secret to a great mix is a great recording which starts with tracking. To have a great recording you need a good singer, great room, great pre amp, but I am confused when people say you don't need a great mic. So is it possible to make a cheap condenser like a rode nt1 sound like sony c800g, u67, or u87? It's hard EQing cheap mics like rodes and I find they are often really harsh. When I listen to pro mixes like:

https://soundcloud.com/roywoodsofficial/what-are-you-on
https://soundcloud.com/majidjordan/body-talk

how are the vocals are super smooth? like the vocals aren't harsh at all. is that because the mic they are using? or is this because the engineer meaning I can learn a skill to get this result and apply it to any mic even cheap condenser mics like rhodes?
Old 7th June 2018
Gear Head

this just the acepella of that track.
Attached Files

what-are-you-on_vocals_preview.mp3 (1.15 MB, 522 views)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search