The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Stuck Between 2 Ribbons... Ribbon Microphones
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by usrockband View Post
...The couple demos I've heard sound nice; not massively different from the M160 but definitely a little darker to my ear (which I like).

Those mics are pretty close. I'm stuck with crappy iPhone headphones at the moment but through these they're almost identical; Coles seems to control the bass drum a bit better though.
Hmm, i find the difference pretty big between the beyerdynamics.

For what it's worth, i also own the LRM-2 (with Lundahl option) and once compared it directly to the M130. It also sounded really close to identical, the LRM-2s being a little bit grainier. But that was on trombone...

Probably you should just try out what's available and decide from there.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lou latch View Post
Hmm, i find the difference pretty big between the beyerdynamics.

For what it's worth, i also own the LRM-2 (with Lundahl option) and once compared it directly to the M130. It also sounded really close to identical, the LRM-2s being a little bit grainier. But that was on trombone...

Probably you should just try out what's available and decide from there.
Ah I found another demo that compared them a bit better. 2 M130's vs. 1 M160. Aside from the stereo separation I do agree with you more now. M130 sounds quite nice indeed. Darker and smoother for sure, perhaps a bit more bottom end in it as well. I'll have to look into it...
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Update

So just a quick update as I have a couple final questions;

After trying the 101, 121, M160 and now the 4038 I've narrowed it down to the 121 or the 4038.

Generally speaking the 4038 is the favorite, but I am concerned about it on electric guitar. The manual that was posted earlier on here didn't touch much on avoiding high SPL, but I was wondering; just how durable is the Coles on electric guitar? Is it air movement that is the problem, or high SPL? Might be a deal breaker if it can't handle loud electric guitar... I've read many posts on this forum of people saying to avoid using it on electric guitar because it can't handle it. I also managed to get the Coles for a great price, but electric guitar is a big part of my use case.

The 121 also sounds great; not quite as refined sounding on acoustic, but also excellent. I must admit the durability of the 121 and abundance of support for it is extremely appealing for someone who has never owned a ribbon before...

Thanks again for all the advice / opinions!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

You don’t want to subject any ribbon mic to direct air blasts from any source. A Royer can take crazy SPL, but I’ve seen the ribbon elements on those warped because they were abused. I’ve used a coles on loud guitar amps (not buried into the speaker and slightly angled) with no issues. Sound-wise I prefer the Royer for electric guitars, but for drums and percussion the Coles totally rule. The Coles is also a fine vocal mic.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Generally speaking the 4038 is the favorite, but I am concerned about it on electric guitar
You can put a 4038 on anything using one of these:

https://www.petesplaceaudio.com/filter.html

bryan
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thismercifulfate View Post
You don’t want to subject any ribbon mic to direct air blasts from any source. A Royer can take crazy SPL, but I’ve seen the ribbon elements on those warped because they were abused. I’ve used a coles on loud guitar amps (not buried into the speaker and slightly angled) with no issues. Sound-wise I prefer the Royer for electric guitars, but for drums and percussion the Coles totally rule. The Coles is also a fine vocal mic.
Yeah I'm aware of the air blasting / wind stuff. I'm really only concerned about SPL. I've seen people on here talk about blowing their ribbons putting the 4038 in front of a guitar amp (can't tell if it's SPL related or air from the speaker - the latter isn't a concern for me).

Yeah I think I'm with you on that; I go back and forth on the Coles and Royer on electric. I tried for fun today EQ'ing guitar tracks from both, and found it easier to "replicate" the Coles sound on the Royer than vice-versa, for whatever that's worth...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsma View Post
You can put a 4038 on anything using one of these:

https://www.petesplaceaudio.com/filter.html

bryan
Oh wow interesting. Wonder if they ship north of the border...
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

Last Update

Last update, and then I'll let this thread die!

After much deliberating and changes in finances, I decided to go with both the 121 and the 4038 in the end, spending twice what I originally intended to when I set out...

The characters are just so different between the two, and both are so different from what I already have. I LOVE the 4038 over the drums, both of them are fantastic on acoustic instruments, but for me the 121 takes the cake on electric guitar.

Now I just need to figure out what sort of stand to get for the 4038 overhead...
Old 6 days ago
Quote:
Last update, and then I'll let this thread die!

After much deliberating and changes in finances, I decided to go with both the 121 and the 4038 in the end, spending twice what I originally intended to when I set out...

The characters are just so different between the two, and both are so different from what I already have. I LOVE the 4038 over the drums, both of them are fantastic on acoustic instruments, but for me the 121 takes the cake on electric guitar.

Now I just need to figure out what sort of stand to get for the 4038 overhead...

Haha wonderful!!! True slut! I also found out maybe a bit to late how addictive ribbons is. The 121 works great as drum room mics aswell so you really got the best of the best!!!
Old 6 days ago
Quote:
just how durable is the Coles on electric guitar? Is it air movement that is the problem, or high SPL? Might be a deal breaker if it can't handle loud electric guitar... I've read many posts on this forum of people saying to avoid using it on electric guitar because it can't handle it. I also managed to get the Coles for a great price, but electric guitar is a big part of my use case.
The thing about 4038's is the reach. You have to back it up from an amp, but it doesn't sound like you did. Three feet away sounds like 3 inches away. That's the best thing about those mics, IMO.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
If you don’t want to splurge on a Latch Lake, your best bet is an Ultimate Support MC-125.
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by crille_mannen View Post
Haha wonderful!!! True slut! I also found out maybe a bit to late how addictive ribbons is. The 121 works great as drum room mics aswell so you really got the best of the best!!!
Yeah, I think that gives a pretty solid set of mics. Only thing before I start (eventually) getting into preamps and converters is a second 4050 or a pair of pencils. Still lacking a stereo set of mics, but I'm gonna hold off in favour of the tonal differences of these 2 ribbons (perhaps not wise? heh)

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyfreeman View Post
The thing about 4038's is the reach. You have to back it up from an amp, but it doesn't sound like you did. Three feet away sounds like 3 inches away. That's the best thing about those mics, IMO.
Yeah I noticed that. I had the 4038 set up about 4' from the amp, while having the 121 about 7" or so. You'd never have known the Coles was that far back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thismercifulfate View Post
If you don’t want to splurge on a Latch Lake, your best bet is an Ultimate Support MC-125.
That is actually the stand I've been eyeing. I'm not expecting to constantly change setups every day so I think that one will work and last plenty long enough for me.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search