The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
api 1608 power supply noise Reverb/Delay Processors (HW)
Old 4th June 2018
Gear Nut

api 1608 power supply noise

hey there dear Slutz,

i haven't been able to find any info on the power supply for Api 1608,
does it have fans and is it noisy enough to warrant its placement out of the control room and/or anywhere where there's the need to record vox, acoustic instruments etc???

any help is much appreciated!

-U-
Old 4th June 2018
Gear Maniac

I have two API 1608 PSUs in my control room. I often do vocal overdubs there, too. They are not noisy at all. just keep em on the floor, and do not let the fans point directly to your ear. My ones are placed behind a large Genelec sub. I‘d say not audible at 9 out of 10 times.
My AMS RMX16 is defibitely louder. As is my Lexicon 200.
I‘ve seen people placing the API PSUs in a small siderack next to the console - don’t do this - you will hear the fans!
Keep em outa reach and thy disappear. No need for a machine room in my opinion.
But it all depends on working styles and levels. A mastering studio would see things differently for sure. But API aint about mastering anyway. It screams Rock n Roll!
Old 5th June 2018
Gear Nut

awesome,
thanks for the reply,
this helps a ton!

cheers,

U
Old 5th June 2018
Gear Maniac

In our quiet control room, the 1608 power supplies are loud enough to be distracting. We had both behind the console while finishing up the machine room.

So i’d say it depends how quiet your room is.

Regardless, a LDC will definitely pick them up.
Old 5th June 2018
Lives for gear

Yes I have mine in a machine room too
Old 5th June 2018
Gear Nut

thanks for taking the time to reply!

sounds like it makes sense to play it safe and place the psus in the machine room...

the reason i was asking is the 1608 comes with 15ft cables,
but API do make longer ones as well (for extra €€€) which i'd need since my machine room is about 25ft away...

cheers!

-U-
Old 6th June 2018
Gear Maniac

If you need longer cables, you could consider using better AWG sizes, than those supplied by API. I‘m currently into moving my control room to a neighbouring building, and I decided to replace the original multipin cable with several shielded ones, each having less cores bundled, but with a bigger diameter per wire. I can keep you up to date as soon as it works, to see if it has any benefit on sound.
I also plan to get rid of those bulky multipin connectors. Therefore I will have my electrician connect the wires directly at the PSUs mainboard, as well as on the mainboard of the desk. I know this will void warranty and could be of a problem when reselling the desk. But so far, also after 10ys I have no plans of ever selling this desk.
Old 26th August 2018
Gear Head

The 1608 ps for me so far is quiet enough to stay in the control room...was surprised by how quiet it was. I dont record in there, though.
Old 26th August 2018
Mine are in the machine room. They have fans and are noisy enough that I wouldn't want them in the control room.
Old 27th August 2018
Gear Nut

thank you one and all,
this has been extremely helpful!

i made the decision to place the power supplies in the adjacent room,
since while they're way quieter than e.g. old amek PSUs, vintage lex verbs and the like, they can still be a bit of a nuisance if one wants to track close to them...

U
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search