The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Fun "Hifi" Speakers alternative (KEF Reference, B&W 804 etc.) Studio Monitors
Old 4th June 2018
Here for the gear

Fun "Hifi" Speakers alternative (KEF Reference, B&W 804 etc.)

Good day to all of you fine chaps,

so I am currently monitoring through a pair of Dynaudio M2 speakers and have a set of Auratones and NS10 that I use to double check everything. Mixing wise this is a perfect setup for me and my work translates really well.

I have been craving a more "hi-fi" kind of speaker. I am not talking consumer grade but something that is a little less analytical and more fun to listen to (especially with clients). It should also have a decent bass response so that I can check if I am overdoing the low end.

I can't shell out enough for a B&W 802 but I got some great used offers on the following:

B&W 804 Nautilus
B&W 803 S
B&W 683
KEF Reference 203

My room is not the biggest but acoustically treated and measured. Since the Dynaudios are pretty big I was leaning towards the 804 series size wise but I can't compare any of these speakers because there is no shop nearby.
I am trying to narrow it down as much as I can.
I am obviously also open to new suggestions .

Any experience (especially on the KEF) would be highly appreciated!
My budget is around 3k but since this is not necessarily a priority for me at the moment I wouldn't mind spending (a lot) less .

Thanks so much!
Old 4th June 2018
Buchardt s400 or the older s300
Old 4th June 2018
Lives for gear

Too many to name but look at Klipsch, Warfdales, PSB, etc.

Also, take a spin through the Steve Hoffman forums for some ideas about what might be in your price range.
Old 4th June 2018
Gear Guru

I have a pair of KEF 101 (the "consumer" LS3/5a), and they're great. Smaller than you probably want, though.
Old 4th June 2018
Lives for gear

Best speakers I've ever listened to were the original Audio Physic Virgo's. They are under new management/owners now and I have no idea what theeir current line up is like but if you know a shop where you can go give a listen I highly recommend doing so.
Old 5th June 2018
Lives for gear

used Dali Helicon 400/800 or some larger Martin Logans if you have the space.
Old 5th June 2018
I'm curious too: about the B&W 804 , also for mastering?
Old 5th June 2018
Gear Maniac

B&W PM1s + Rotel amp with a B&W sub.

Lower end of the scale and not as powerful as the above mentioned speakers.

Very enjoyable imho.
Old 6th June 2018
Here for the gear

Thank you for the great answers. I am going to listen to a couple of options and will report back.
Old 6th June 2018
Gear Addict

Legacy Audio has some great speakers ... and very forgiving. Sound excellent and very impressive to clients.

also look at Harbeth. the 30.1 for instance has that BBC sound, and also forgiving ... but can be a bit harder to place in a room.
Old 7th June 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by StateOfMatter View Post
Good day to all of you fine chaps,

so I am currently monitoring through a pair of Dynaudio M2 speakers and have a set of Auratones and NS10 that I use to double check everything. Mixing wise this is a perfect setup for me and my work translates really well.

I have been craving a more "hi-fi" kind of speaker. I am not talking consumer grade but something that is a little less analytical and more fun to listen to (especially with clients). It should also have a decent bass response so that I can check if I am overdoing the low end.

I can't shell out enough for a B&W 802 but I got some great used offers on the following:

B&W 804 Nautilus
B&W 803 S
B&W 683
KEF Reference 203

My room is not the biggest but acoustically treated and measured. Since the Dynaudios are pretty big I was leaning towards the 804 series size wise but I can't compare any of these speakers because there is no shop nearby.
I am trying to narrow it down as much as I can.
I am obviously also open to new suggestions .

Any experience (especially on the KEF) would be highly appreciated!
My budget is around 3k but since this is not necessarily a priority for me at the moment I wouldn't mind spending (a lot) less .

Thanks so much!
all the brand quoted are not fun, they are used in studio.

Fun speaker: Audio note
Old 17th June 2018
Here for the gear

Have a look at the Dali line-up. They have some great speakers which sound detailed but fun. The Epicon2 is a awesome but small fun speaker.
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search