The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
BSS DPR-402 VERY quiet output? Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 2nd June 2018
Here for the gear

BSS DPR-402 VERY quiet output?

Hi everyone,

I just received a used BSS DPR-402 and after hooking it up it seems like the output is way too low on it. (external audio effect on ableton registers a peak of -32 dB with DPR output gain on maximum (+20dB) & the input gain on my audio interface pulled all the way up which i NEVER had to do)

is this a normal behaviour?

this is my first hardware compressor, so i can imagine that i am doing something very wrong, but i did have an Alesis 3630 for a couple of days like a week ago and although it was very crappy sounding - it was at least 10 to 20 times louder.
Old 9th October 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by caduber View Post
Hi everyone,

I just received a used BSS DPR-402 and after hooking it up it seems like the output is way too low on it. (external audio effect on ableton registers a peak of -32 dB with DPR output gain on maximum (+20dB) & the input gain on my audio interface pulled all the way up which i NEVER had to do)

is this a normal behaviour?

this is my first hardware compressor, so i can imagine that i am doing something very wrong, but i did have an Alesis 3630 for a couple of days like a week ago and although it was very crappy sounding - it was at least 10 to 20 times louder.
Hi, did you get this sorted out? I have the exact same problem with a DPR 402. Thanks.
Old 9th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_machine View Post
Hi, did you get this sorted out? I have the exact same problem with a DPR 402. Thanks.
Try cleaning the insert sockets.
Old 9th October 2018
Gear Maniac

The wiring for these is different from what I remember.... It’s not how you’d expect, I think you have to short between pins in a strange way in the xlr connections round the back.

The barrier strip round the back may have something to do with it too....

Edit: yes rear xlr o/p is unbalanced- pins 1 and 2 shield pin 3 live. Page 16 of manual.
Old 9th October 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
i unfortunately gave up, returned mine and bought a working one from someone else. trust me you will notice the HUGE difference in volume once you get a working one. my best guess with the faulty one was that it had something to do with bad grounding though.
Old 9th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraburner View Post
The wiring for these is different from what I remember.... It’s not how you’d expect, I think you have to short between pins in a strange way in the xlr connections round the back.

The barrier strip round the back may have something to do with it too....

Edit: yes rear xlr o/p is unbalanced- pins 1 and 2 shield pin 3 live. Page 16 of manual.
Yes, it's the 404 I'm thinking of that has the problems with insert jacks.
Old 18th December 2018
Gear Head

Quote:

Hey I'm having the same low output issue with my unit. Anyone figured out what the issue is? The jumpers on the back of my panel look correct. I'm using my unit with a DBX PB-48 patchbay system. I know its not the patchbay because my other outboard gear works fine in the same patches.
Old 18th December 2018
Lives for gear

The BSS is pin 3 hot. Have you taken that into account?
Old 18th December 2018
Gear Maniac

correct -
pin 3 hot on these units unless they've been internally modified (we have one that was modded prior to us getting it and one thats stock). You will certainly get super low output if you don't rewire your cabling to compensate for this.

-pete
Old 18th December 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerkrecords View Post
correct -
pin 3 hot on these units unless they've been internally modified (we have one that was modded prior to us getting it and one thats stock). You will certainly get super low output if you don't rewire your cabling to compensate for this.

-pete
Thanks guys! Got it figured out. Yup, so basically for anyone else that stumbles upon this thread. The pins 2 and 3 on the output of these units (if they're stock) need to be swapped. Then you should see a significant change in output volume.

Which is what a few people have said but I'm just a little slow when it comes to this stuff. Needs to be spelled out for me.

Cheers everyone.

Thanks for the help.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search