The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Real or Fake- images Neumann
Old 2nd June 2018
Lives for gear

Real or Fake- images Neumann

hello everyone.

i have recently noticed on Reverb there are a lot of rare, old, and collectable microphones, coming up at low cost, from sites in Budapest Hungary and Prague Czech Republic.

i also found a link between the sellers website, and a specific individuals F/Book page.

the individual has posted the following images on F/B.

the image names are the text that was alongside the images on F/B

personally im concerned, but wondered what the wider community thinks about this

Buddha
Attached Thumbnails
Real or Fake- images Neumann-they-making-47s.jpg   Real or Fake- images Neumann-ribbons-can-apply.jpg   Real or Fake- images Neumann-m49-clones-coming-soon.jpg   Real or Fake- images Neumann-drilling.jpg  
Old 2nd June 2018
Lives for gear

also these images
Attached Thumbnails
Real or Fake- images Neumann-more-um.jpg   Real or Fake- images Neumann-u47.jpg   Real or Fake- images Neumann-neumans-healings.jpg   Real or Fake- images Neumann-m49.jpg  
Old 2nd June 2018
Lives for gear

Everything aside from the MTG UM mic pics and the lollipop heads appear to be clone / assembled kit mics, though it’s hard to say what’s going on with the capsules. The ribbons looks like OEM from Asia.

Could be good stuff, hard to say. I thought that some of the assembly pics were staged a little oddly and that the assembly on the most complete looking clone looks a little sloppy, but it also appears that maybe it’s not done. If you leap for it, probably not a bad idea to see more finished results, get a return policy, etc...
Old 2nd June 2018
Lives for gear

The “M49” picture you posted is titled “m49 Clones coming soon.” So it doesn’t appear they are trying to be dishonest - or perhaps they are really bad at it
Old 2nd June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by toledo3 View Post
Everything aside from the MTG UM mic pics and the lollipop heads appear to be clone / assembled kit mics, though it’s hard to say what’s going on with the capsules. The ribbons looks like OEM from Asia.

Could be good stuff, hard to say. I thought that some of the assembly pics were staged a little oddly and that the assembly on the most complete looking clone looks a little sloppy, but it also appears that maybe it’s not done. If you leap for it, probably not a bad idea to see more finished results, get a return policy, etc...
i have no intention of buying anything non genuine.

my concern is that the items for sale on Reverb site, are listed as being genuine vintage Neumann, and the same guy is making these which look like clones to me.

he also has AKG-C12, as well as the U47s and UM-57 and the ribbons.

someone could lose a lot of money on non genuine gear.

Buddha
Old 2nd June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by superwack View Post
The “M49” picture you posted is titled “m49 Clones coming soon.” So it doesn’t appear they are trying to be dishonest - or perhaps they are really bad at it
there are lots of very vague comments alongside the images on the F/B page

but the Reverb site lists the articles for sale as genuine Neumann.

if you search Reverb for Neumann, and look specifically at the ones for sale from Budhapest in Hungary, you will find the listings.

Buddha
Old 3rd June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG BUDDHA View Post
there are lots of very vague comments alongside the images on the F/B page

but the Reverb site lists the articles for sale as genuine Neumann.

if you search Reverb for Neumann, and look specifically at the ones for sale from Budhapest in Hungary, you will find the listings.

Buddha
Well then that IS troubling! Thanks for pointing it out.
Old 3rd June 2018
Lives for gear

There is nothing wrong with those listings as far as I can see.

Those sellers repair vintage microphones, as well as make clones. Nothing they are selling looks fishy, nor is particularly cheaply priced.

The fact that they are from hungary or czech republic is also not troublesome. There are many highly educated and respected technicians in eastern europe. Think Flea, Blue, etc.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search