The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Got my Sony c100 today Condenser Microphones
Old 2nd June 2018
  #1
Here for the gear
 

Got my Sony c100 today

So today I got my c100 I was stoked to set it up and see what it sounds like, keep in mind I'm not recording in the most optimal environment I just moved in my new place so I don't have my room setup. But anyway I threw it on my reflection filter stand fired up my Apollo unison using the Manley voxbox plug in and did a couple verses from old songs. First impression is that it's very detailed extremely clear if you will kinda bright but not harsh. The proximity effect is very prominent. I have a very midrange type of voice and off the bat I realised for this mic to work for me I'll need a pre with some color. That was just my first impression, hopefully tommorow I can get some acoustics up and run it through some more paces
Old 2nd June 2018
  #2
Gear Guru
 
Drumsound's Avatar
IS that the dual diaphragm mic? Are there two leads to have independent control of the diaphragms?
Old 2nd June 2018
  #3
Here for the gear
 

Yes and no
Old 3rd June 2018
  #4
Gear Nut
 

The diaphragms on the c100 handle different frequency ranges, they are not meant to be used separately.
Old 3rd June 2018
  #5
Gear Guru
 
Drumsound's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.frad View Post
The diaphragms on the c100 handle different frequency ranges, they are not meant to be used separately.
I see. There's a Josephson mic with two capsules and two outputs that allows for adjusting each for tone, to put it simply.
Old 3rd June 2018
  #6
Lives for gear
 
MIKEHARRIS's Avatar
this is not the first dual capsule mic...AKG had a D200...Sanken the CU-41, i am awaiting a demo to show my clients.
Old 3rd June 2018
  #7
Lives for gear
 

There's a huge, original thread here on this mic:

Sony C-100 Hi-Res Mic
Old 3rd June 2018
  #8
Gear Nut
 

Yes obviously there are different types of dual capsule mics, but the concept behind sony's design is to use a separate capsule for the higher frequency range.

A mic with 2 capsules doesn't imply that you can use both independently.
Mikeharris: yes these also had different frequency ranges for each capsule.

Other designs using dual capsules: my knowledge the very first cardio mics ever made were constructed with a ribbon behind an omni capsule.
Old 11th September 2018
  #9
Lives for gear
 
Rumi's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.frad View Post
my knowledge the very first cardio mics ever made were constructed with a ribbon behind an omni capsule.
I would like to hear that!
Old 1st March 2019
  #10
Sony’s R&D is absurd. The money that went into designing their new C series (particularly this mic) is astounding. I’m excited about companies like this who take consumer Audio money and pour it into unmatched R&D to bring pro audio community out of the box products like this. I work in studios here in Manhattan and have half $1 million Mike lockers and none of them can do exactly what this cheaper $1200 Mike can do. Say nothing of the c800 of course... I’m loving Sony these days and excited to see what else big money R&D will bring us next
Old 2nd March 2019
  #11
Gear Maniac
I was going to buy one of these until I read (I think in the Sound on Sound review) that the small diaphragm capsule is from their ECM mic series, which I think are relatively low end mics. I've never heard the C100, so I'm not knocking it, but would have thought the small diaphragm would be more of a pro audio level design. But reviews seem to be good, so that's all that matters.
Old 2nd March 2019
  #12
Lives for gear
 
e-are's Avatar
I've had one for a month or so and have done 4 vocal sessions with it. Love this mic. Nice body and presence.
Old 1 week ago
  #13
Lives for gear
 
IkennaFuNkEn's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric4001 View Post
I was going to buy one of these until I read (I think in the Sound on Sound review) that the small diaphragm capsule is from their ECM mic series, which I think are relatively low end mics. I've never heard the C100, so I'm not knocking it, but would have thought the small diaphragm would be more of a pro audio level design. But reviews seem to be good, so that's all that matters.
Tbh that doesn’t really mean much. tlm67 and u67 use the same capsule.
Old 1 week ago
  #14
Here for the gear
 

I've since sold this mic and got the Manley reference C and tbh it makes the Sony sound harsh and thin
Old 1 week ago
  #15
Lives for gear
 
Plush's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cokey30 View Post
I've since sold this mic and got the Manley reference C and tbh it makes the Sony sound harsh and thin
Nope--your source was harsh and thin.
Old 1 week ago
  #16
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
Nope--your source was harsh and thin.
Interesting because the sorce was my voice and my voice isn't harsh and thin with the Manley at all ?*♂️
Old 1 week ago
  #17
Lives for gear
 

Smooth mic with a dash of presence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jml designs View Post
Sony’s R&D is absurd. The money that went into designing their new C series (particularly this mic) is astounding. I’m excited about companies like this who take consumer Audio money and pour it into unmatched R&D to bring pro audio community out of the box products like this. I work in studios here in Manhattan and have half $1 million Mike lockers and none of them can do exactly what this cheaper $1200 Mike can do. Say nothing of the c800 of course... I’m loving Sony these days and excited to see what else big money R&D will bring us next
Old 1 week ago
  #18
Lives for gear
 

That’s funny because I did the opposite, had both in front of me for an exstended amount of time and I though the Sony sounded better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cokey30 View Post
I've since sold this mic and got the Manley reference C and tbh it makes the Sony sound harsh and thin
Old 5 days ago
  #19
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleep View Post
That’s funny because I did the opposite, had both in front of me for an exstended amount of time and I though the Sony sounded better.
I think so too. The Manley has too much sibilance for me. You can pick them up really cheap now.
Old 4 days ago
  #20
Here for the gear
 

Guess it really true things are different for everyone the Manley has no sibilance on my voice meanwhile the Sony I couldn't use without de-essing
Old 4 days ago
  #21
Here for the gear
 
LIO DIYA's Avatar
 

Excited to hear some snippets, I've been eyeing this mic
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump