The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Anyone have the Slate Media Control? Monitor Controllers
Old 1st June 2018
Gear Head
Anyone have the Slate Media Control?

Been looking for a monitor controller for some time and after checking out several others, the Slate Control "looks" like it does everything I need.
Don't want to spoil the fun but based on other posts I've read, I realize everyone's first instinct is to suggest the one they have but I've likely read all those posts already.

What I'm looking for is a few people that have the unit and can give personal experience.

It also seems there aren't any for sale out there.... all our favorite sellers say they are Back Ordered. Slate support tells me "we make them by hand and they don't last long".... hmmm none available for some time and may not be unless I put money down ahead? Forgive my sarcasm but should this make me wary?

So, anyone have one they can talk about?

appreciate all info and love this forum.
Old 15th June 2018
Gear Nut

Did you end up getting one? They became available again recently.

I had one for a few days, but it had to be sent back because it had an issue where the buttons would not longer change anything. But man did it look and feel and sound good to use. I've been wondering about getting one again. They get talked about very little here or anywhere, not sure why.
Old 22nd June 2018
Gear Head
I couldn't find one and i couldn't find anyone that had one...
Not a good basis to spend $2250+ on.

So, Vintage King gave me a Dangerous ST to try.
i just got it and am a little freaked out about the warnings of hot plugging anything into it.

Who doesn't have a patch bay for all their inputs...?
On another thread i've asked people about it and gotten mixed info.
My techs find it ridiculous that a pro piece of gear has no protection and if you want it protected, they push little transformer products to purchase...

To me this defeats the purpose of a high quality device.

OK, rant over, they do seem to give great customer service so i'm going to call them tomorrow and see what he real deal is
Old 25th June 2018
Gear Nut

Not to beat a tired horse, but did you try Sweetwater for the Slate Control? I remember them saying they have a few in stock
Old 25th June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian Hills View Post
I couldn't find one and i couldn't find anyone that had one...
Not a good basis to spend $2250+ on.

So, Vintage King gave me a Dangerous ST to try.
i just got it and am a little freaked out about the warnings of hot plugging anything into it.

Who doesn't have a patch bay for all their inputs...?
On another thread i've asked people about it and gotten mixed info.
My techs find it ridiculous that a pro piece of gear has no protection and if you want it protected, they push little transformer products to purchase...

To me this defeats the purpose of a high quality device.

OK, rant over, they do seem to give great customer service so i'm going to call them tomorrow and see what he real deal is
I have had basically the same experience.

Slate Control: Hard to get and not many reviews.
Dangerous: No hot plugging doesn't work for me.
Avocet: 6 month waiting list.

I went for a Grace M905 a few months ago and haven't looked back.
Old 26th June 2018
Gear Nut

No hot plugging simply means the circuit is all passive e and dc coupled. Great for transparency and bandwidth.
Nothing should ever happen it's just a disclaimer to protect them legally in case someone has faulty equipment in their racks
Simply mute the unit when plugging something.
No big deal.

It's a great unit btw.
Old 15th March 2019
Here for the gear

I know I'm late to the party on this one but I thought I'd share my thoughts anyway. i own one. I bought it because it did everything I needed it to do and a little more. It really has a ton features and to me is the best "looking" monitor controller I've seen. (maybe I haven't seen em all ) It is awesome in every way. The absolute only draw back is the "click" it makes in the rack unit when adjusting volume. This might be common in other high end monitor controllers but i wasn't sitting next to the rack unit on those. This one I am. Its really not a big deal. No noiser then automation faders ect.
Old 2nd April 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericreid View Post
I know I'm late to the party on this one but I thought I'd share my thoughts anyway. i own one. I bought it because it did everything I needed it to do and a little more. It really has a ton features and to me is the best "looking" monitor controller I've seen. (maybe I haven't seen em all ) It is awesome in every way. The absolute only draw back is the "click" it makes in the rack unit when adjusting volume. This might be common in other high end monitor controllers but i wasn't sitting next to the rack unit on those. This one I am. Its really not a big deal. No noiser then automation faders ect.
That click is a relay switching the audio path directly from one level to the next! Fidelity, baby!

Agree with you on all points. I miss mine.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search