The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Any opinions on the EMES Blue HR? Studio Monitors
Old 28th May 2018
Gear Addict

Any opinions on the EMES Blue HR?

Dear all,

Would like to know about your experiences with the EMES Blue HR. Could get my hands on a b stock pair for around 2k and was wondering whether there is anything nonsensical in my interest in these/what people's experiences are with the blue's as nearfields.

Have been using focal shape 65s as nearfields (90-100cm distance, see pic in link below) in a semi treated room of about 14 square metres. I mainly do electronica/techno. I like the Shapes for their clarity but they give me quite a bit ear ringing/fatique, which lead me to start looking around for other options. Have used Spendors in the past (excellent mids, mild tops, yet not ideal bass) and JBL Lsr's (instant tinnitus). I frequently use DT880pro cans for crosschecking and like them for what they are. Here's a pic of my setup: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/show...ostcount=14894

Have frequently read good things about the EMES, and some few posters here expressed their enthusiasm, but generally, there is not so much info around. The sound I'm after: dry bass, clear mids & good depth, heights not excessive. I'd prefer a speaker covering the whole spectrum over a sattelite & sub combo on account of cohesion and not summoning potential room problems.

I know, proof is in the pudding and such, but would be interested in opinions first since 2k is not peanuts for me.

cheers
Old 30th May 2018
Lives for gear

Fantastic underrated monitors. Really focused and tight low end, with smooth accurate highs. Mixes translate very well. I've had mine for 10 years and in that time I've had one small problem. They are the only thing I've kept from 10 years ago. Well worth it for that kind of money.
Old 30th May 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tengu View Post
Fantastic underrated monitors. Really focused and tight low end, with smooth accurate highs. Mixes translate very well. I've had mine for 10 years and in that time I've had one small problem. They are the only thing I've kept from 10 years ago. Well worth it for that kind of money.
Thanks for the response, tengu. Quick follow-up if that's okay - how forgiving/fuzzy do you find them in terms of placement? Would be close to front wall in my case. cheers!
Old 31st May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maffez View Post
Thanks for the response, tengu. Quick follow-up if that's okay - how forgiving/fuzzy do you find them in terms of placement? Would be close to front wall in my case. cheers!
I'm sorry I can't answer that question for you, but fuzzy is a word I've never associated with these monitors.

I've never had them close to the wall. They might be a little large to do what you want.
Old 31st May 2018
Gear Addict

Ok, thanks again for the input.
Old 31st May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maffez View Post
Ok, thanks again for the input.
Actually, I'm not sure what you mean when "close to the wall". I just looked at mind and they are about 60cm away from the room. My room is about 4x5m. They could work in a 3x4m room, but any smaller you might want something smaller.
Old 31st May 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tengu View Post
Actually, I'm not sure what you mean when "close to the wall". I just looked at mind and they are about 60cm away from the room. My room is about 4x5m. They could work in a 3x4m room, but any smaller you might want something smaller.
Hey, thanks.

With close to wall I meant under 20cm from front wall. I'm not a pro and have to share space (might change in the future but that's how it is atm). I would definitely not go for anything rear ported but since the blue's aren't, I suspect they might work. My current focals do, with a node quite close to my listening position (but knowing the "danger area", I've learnt to work with it).

Seen a couple of studio pics (EMES seems particularly used in Australia and NZ outside of Germany with the blue's basically stuck right to the front wall.

Read up in other threads on the old big speaker/small room question but tend to subscribe to the camp of "big is okay", esp. since I don't really go full blast volume-wise. And the design of the blue's seems safer than sattelites and a sub.
Old 16th March 2019
Gear Addict

Total necropost, but after about a year and changing location I finally made the jump and have to say that the Blue HRs are really just awesome. Easy on my ear fatigue, impressive clarity in the mid range, and a spatial representation en par and even better than with my previous pair of black tv coax speakers. Sound is in the room and no matter how dense a mix is (say early mouse on mars or the denser boards of canada stuff), the blue's keep up --- "okay, that ride sample was recorded in this and that kinda room and ahh, kick has bit reduction" -clarity. think these are keepers
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search