The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
SSL DA converter issue Consoles
Old 28th May 2018
SSL DA converter issue

I have the AES/EBU output patched from my SSL matrix into an Alesis Masterlink link @24/48k.

The desk runs at 48K only. Signal coming out of the converter sounds fantastic but the pitch is flat approximately 30 cents.!

Neither of the units can be clocked exernally and to make trouble shooting easier I replicated the problem on two Alesis MasterLink units.

Any suggestions?
Old 28th May 2018
They can be clocked together.

Here's from the Masterlink manual: "This allows the ML-9600 to operate as a clock slave in an all-digital setup. Caution must be used, however, as all audio playback while in digital input mode will be at the incoming clock rate, despite the rate at which the audio was recorded. For instance, if audio is recorded at 96kHz to the hard drive, and then the unit is placed in digital input mode with the incoming sample rate at 48kHz, that recorded audio will play at _ play speed".

And from the Matrix (mk2 though, but I think it's the same with mk1): "Matrix has one stereo digital output which feeds both AES/EBU and S/PDIF connections on the desk’s rear panel. This output is controlled by the Digital I/O area of the centre section, located immediately below the MIX bus master. If a digital input is connected, then Matrix will lock its internal clock to it. The LED in the top
right corner of the Digital I/O area, labelled ADC LOCK, lights to indicate that the desk is locked to the incoming signal.

The digital output can be sourced from the MIX bus,REC bus, or from the monitor signal (pre-monitor level). The SOURCE button cycles through these options, and LEDs to the right of the button indicate which source is selected. If there is an incoming digital signal, the output will replicate its sample rate. If no digital input is detected the output sample rate will default to 48kHz".

EDIT: Or do you mean by an external dedicated clock with BNC-connection?
Old 29th May 2018
Slogan.. Thanks for the info.

The two units are locked.. The issue is that the pitch is 30cents flat out of the Matrix DA converter.. if it wansnt locked the audio would
sound like a skipping record with clicking.
Audio quilty is amazing just flat 30cents..
Old 29th May 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyfrequencies View Post
Slogan.. Thanks for the info.

The two units are locked.. The issue is that the pitch is 30cents flat out of the Matrix DA converter.. if it wansnt locked the audio would
sound like a skipping record with clicking.
Audio quilty is amazing just flat 30cents..
I kinda had a sense I was misunderstanding/missing something as I would assume someone with that kind of gear wouldn't make such a basic mistake

A very weird issue indeed. Have you gotten any response from SSL in the matter?
Old 31st May 2018
Yes.. Very helpful as always but I still have not found a solution for direct AES connection.
I'm considering an additional D/A converter in between the desk and the recorder that can be
clocked by my we generator..
Old 31st May 2018
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search