The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Focal SM9 vs Shape 65 in small room Studio Monitors
Old 26th May 2018
Gear Nut

Focal SM9 vs Shape 65 in small room

Obviously there is a giant price difference between these two speakers. But was curious how different they would truly be in a small room.

My control room is roughly 11ft x 13ft, walls and ceilings are splayed and perfectly treated! In all tests performed everything is pretty flat and accurate without any glaring frequency bumps, dips or problems. (Just thought I’d get that out of the way before everyone says to “treat the room first” because it truly is as close to perfect as it probably could be for it’s size)

I have the Shape 65s and truly love them, I use a sub with them to check the super low before finishing any mix. But business has been great and the SM9’s just seem really cool! Is it crazy to want them just because I do!?? If I do get them are they going to knock me out of my chair compared to the shapes.

I’ve taken a look at some of the barefoot models as well. The Footprints seem pretty cool as well and are a bit cheaper. The MM35 seem nice too. Just curious what others have to say between the options!

And will something in this range of monitors really help me make quicker decisions? We’ve gotten extremely busy at the studio and anything to help speed up workflow is what I’m really after at the moment.

Also just so everyone knows we record a wide range of styles. Pop, edm, and hip hop is most common but we have quite a bit of every other style coming through as well.
Old 26th May 2018
Gear Nut

And since we are mentioning speakers at this price point how does one go about auditioning such speakers. Is there a company that will send them to you free to audition or do most people buy them and send back? I live near Kansas City and the o my music store close is Guitar center (not pro) and last time I had to go there they only had some hs7, Krk, and m-audio speakers.

Does vintage king or Sweetwater let you Tryout different speakers to test what you want without flying across the country to hear them?
Old 27th May 2018
Gear Nut

If you're happy with and getting good results with the monitors you have - why would you want to change them?
Old 27th May 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Willing View Post
If you're happy with and getting good results with the monitors you have - why would you want to change them?
I question that myself. I would like a little better info in the Low Low frequencies. Things don’t often translate badly but I’d love to be able mix the low end without a separate sub if possible. The sub I have goes to 36hz and the SM9s go to 30hz. I just feel it might be more efficient that way. I may be wrong though! Just curious if anyone has heard the 2 options.
Old 28th May 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioGold View Post
I question that myself. I would like a little better info in the Low Low frequencies. Things don’t often translate badly but I’d love to be able mix the low end without a separate sub if possible. The sub I have goes to 36hz and the SM9s go to 30hz. I just feel it might be more efficient that way. I may be wrong though! Just curious if anyone has heard the 2 options.
Ive used the SM 9's - great monitors. I opted for the Trio 6be's.

My room is almost dimensionally almost similar to yours - still the low end is a bit of an issue - best thing i ever did was get a pair of headphones that Ludwig personally suggested to me and are referenced in many threads here - HD 650.

If I was looking to spend 6-9k at this point - personally i'd spend it on other outboard

That said - i still use my ns 10's every day.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search