The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sound Techniques:classic lineage and the future. Consoles
Old 26th May 2018
Gear Guru

Sound Techniques:classic lineage and the future.

Hey Guys.
Big fan of Sound Techniques.
this past couple years I was kinda shocked to learn about all the classic albums done on these mysterious/fascinating British consoles.
total nerd I am I've gone back and revisited some of these records:Doors,
T-Rex,Bowie etc etc.some of the coolest stuff ever.
I'm also excited about the relaunch of the company and its re introduction of consoles ,pre amps and new compressors.cant wait to get some channels into my place for a go.
anyone here ever work on one?
heck we've been Neve'd,API'd to death here.
any info/anecdotes/history or new information please share
Old 26th May 2018
Lives for gear

You've read this already, no doubt, but posting it for completeness:

https://www.soundonsound.com/people/...und-techniques
Old 27th May 2018
Lives for gear

There was a doco on Sound Techniques, at least it was in production a couple of years ago.

The Parts You Don't Hear

Last edited by Tubthumper; 27th May 2018 at 01:43 AM.. Reason: added link
Old 27th May 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubthumper View Post
There was a doco on Sound Techniques, at least it was in production a couple of years ago.

The Parts You Don't Hear
I’ve heard about the movie but haven’t seen that link.
Cool!
Old 27th May 2018
Old 27th May 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G View Post
SEXYy
Old 27th May 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G View Post
damnn
Old 27th May 2018
Lives for gear

A few close up shots of the new sidecar
Attached Thumbnails
Sound Techniques:classic lineage and the future.-image1.jpg   Sound Techniques:classic lineage and the future.-image2.jpg   Sound Techniques:classic lineage and the future.-rca-studio-.jpg  
Old 2nd June 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobtwiddler View Post
A few close up shots of the new sidecar
Drooling
Old 2nd June 2018
Opening up the Archives!

We've decided to empty our archives. It's time. We've got hundreds of original photographs and loads of documentation that we think most folks on this thread with find really interesting. To start it off...How about some John McLaughlin "Shakti" era and Tommy Bolin mixing "Private Eyes" at Trident in late 1976. The Sound Techniques desk was taken out of the ReMix room in December of of that same year after being in the studio since it opened in 1968l
From the Collection of Stephen W.Tayler, former employee (1974-1979) and Chief Engr. at Trident 1978.

In these photos:

Stephen W. Tayler
Dennis MacKay
Tommy Bolin.
Need some help on the Tape Op. Anybody?
Attached Thumbnails
Sound Techniques:classic lineage and the future.-trident008.jpeg   Sound Techniques:classic lineage and the future.-swt-trident-7.jpg   Sound Techniques:classic lineage and the future.-swt-trident-11.jpg   Sound Techniques:classic lineage and the future.-swt-trident-10.jpg   Sound Techniques:classic lineage and the future.-swt-trident-9.jpg  

Sound Techniques:classic lineage and the future.-swt-trident-9.jpg  
Old 2nd June 2018
John McLaughin "SHAKTI" At Trident Studio, late 1976

Trident Studio REMIX Room. 1976.

In these photos: John MacLaughlin and Dennis MacKay
Attached Thumbnails
Sound Techniques:classic lineage and the future.-swt-trident-2.jpg   Sound Techniques:classic lineage and the future.-swt-trident-6.jpg   Sound Techniques:classic lineage and the future.-swt-trident-5.jpg   Sound Techniques:classic lineage and the future.-swt-trident-1.jpg  
Old 2nd June 2018
SOUND TECHNIQUES desk at Trident late 1976

A couple of nice shots of the Sound Techniques desk at Trident Studios in London, just before it was finally taken out of the studio. Whereabouts of this desk is completely unknown, but as far as desks goes, one of the most prolifically used in music history. Everything at Trident Studio from 1968 to late 1976 was mixed on this particular Sound Techniques desk. Everything at Trident from 1968 to 1970 was also recorded AND mixed on this desk. Built in late 1967. Installed at Trident in early 1968.

Photos courtesy of Stephen W. Tayler.
Attached Thumbnails
Sound Techniques:classic lineage and the future.-swt-trident-1976.jpg   Sound Techniques:classic lineage and the future.-trident-1976-2.jpg  
Old 2nd June 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound Techniques View Post
A couple of nice shots of the Sound Techniques desk at Trident Studios in London, just before it was finally taken out of the studio. Whereabouts of this desk is completely unknown, but as far as desks goes, one of the most prolifically used in music history. Everything at Trident Studio from 1968 to late 1976 was mixed on this particular Sound Techniques desk. Everything at Trident from 1968 to 1970 was also recorded AND mixed on this desk. Built in late 1967. Installed at Trident in early 1968.

Photos courtesy of Stephen W. Tayler.

This is THE ORIGINAL A-RANGE CONSOLE design that Geoff Frost started in 1964.

(The copyright "A-Range" is owned by PMI Audio Group.)
Old 2nd June 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
Cool!

The Guys from England got an interview with Bruce Botnick during NAMM that's incredible! Also Bill Schnee talking the "RINGO" record at Sunset Sound and Jac Holzman of Elektra fame. Neil and Nick have their hearts into this projects and it will be in the same league as Sound City and the Muscle Shoals doc.
Old 4th June 2018
Quote:
Cool!
Hey! Did those photos show up that I posted on this thread?!
Old 5th June 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Hey! Did those photos show up that I posted on this thread?!
yes indeed!
keep em coming.super cool.
Old 5th June 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
keep em coming.super cool.
I'll second this!!
Old 5th June 2018
Old 5th June 2018
Gear Maniac

Did anyone talk with Cyril Jones for the documentary ? He worked extensively on the system 12 boards at the Sound Techniques factory before starting Raindirk. .
Old 7th June 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bramley View Post
Did anyone talk with Cyril Jones for the documentary ? He worked extensively on the system 12 boards at the Sound Techniques factory before starting Raindirk. .
I'm not sure on the film crew and Cyril. I've spoken with him a few times. Nice guy. We have some photos of him at the factory while they were still in A-Range production.
Old 7th June 2018
ELEKTRA SOUND RECORDERS-Jac Holzman 1969

The Man who started it all in L.A. and kept Sound Techniques going through some tough times with not only his console order but with Tutti's order from Sunset Sound in late 1966. Jac also found The Doors and founded an Empire with Elektra. In front of his ST A-Range at Elektra Hollywood 1969. Also included is a pro shot of the console from the photo shoot that Elektra did for the inner sleeve of Morrison Hotel that Jac sent us.

Cover of Glynn Johns' "Sound Man", with The Stones at Elektra for the mix of Let It Bleed. circa. 1969, just before Altamont.
Attached Thumbnails
Sound Techniques:classic lineage and the future.-img_1748.jpg   Sound Techniques:classic lineage and the future.-frame_1_3-2.jpg   Sound Techniques:classic lineage and the future.-unknown.jpeg  
Old 7th June 2018
New Sound Techniques ZR DEMO FOR Los Angeles

Just about finished with the new demo for the L.A. area. This will be a floater so please call and arrange a time to have it by your studio! This one will be a little different and much closer to the production model than the one in Nashville. Which has no wood and without the ability to control all of the functions on the input module. Down and dirty but for that first one, for me it was all about sonics and getting it out the door and into battle. Dave Cobb is hammering it hard and has really provided some great feedback.
Anyway, the above is not the case with the L.A. Unit. All input module controls will be online and will include the newest version of the original 3035 channel amp AND examples of the 4th revision of the original Sound Techniques EQ card. The L.A. demo with also have it's own dedicated MIX fader for the 2-BUSS and automated faders fitted. Fitted only for reference, but will not be operational at this time. We're still working on the interface to make that happen in the demo unit.
L.A. Demo will come with custom re-claimed wood from the bleachers at the Hollywood Bowl, circa 1920's in beautiful Alaskan Cedar.
For those of you in the Nashville/Southern States, we'll upgrade that demo unit shortly down the road.
Pic of Nashville unit included for reference in the shop (before being fitted with Painton Faders) in SoCal and at RCA Studio A in Nashville.
Attached Thumbnails
Sound Techniques:classic lineage and the future.-img_1463.jpg   Sound Techniques:classic lineage and the future.-img_1456.jpg   Sound Techniques:classic lineage and the future.-img_1449.jpg   Sound Techniques:classic lineage and the future.-img_1445.jpg   Sound Techniques:classic lineage and the future.-unnamed.jpg  

Old 7th June 2018
How about some shots of the innards?
Old 7th June 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
How about some shots of the innards?
We can make that info available in the future. However, not at this time. Primarily because we've done a slight revision on the input motherboard to accommodate different versions of the EQ card. Those boards are due by the end of the month.
Old 7th June 2018
Gear Nut

Is there a price estimate on this?
Old 7th June 2018
Lives for gear

Found this interview some time ago with some interesting looking back in certain things , i think is odd they already used a format that they call hd audio

Old 8th June 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by clister01 View Post
Is there a price estimate on this?
Working on that now but awaiting costs on the mix panel/PCB's etc. We'll have numbers on it by the end of the month. Thanks much, Danny
Old 2nd November 2018
Gear Addict

What is the update on Sound Techniques overall, the planned movie release date and pricing?

Quote:
Working on that now but awaiting costs on the mix panel/PCB's etc. We'll have numbers on it by the end of the month. Thanks much, Danny
Old 4th November 2018
500 series yesterday please.
I am on the mailing list,no news.
Pinkpinkpinkpinkpink..moon.
Old 5th November 2018
Gear Maniac

Looks like a pretty cool mixer.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search