The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Bock 251 - Can't get strong level without clipping Audio Interfaces
Old 26th May 2018
Here for the gear

Bock 251 - Can't get strong level without clipping

I brought the mic to Bock tech and they tested it w normal results.
Trying to find the sweet spot with my front end, but something's off.

I get clipping from the slightest touch on the micstand and the softest breath while singing pops it. To be clear, it clips in the sound itself, not in my converter or DAW.

My usual signal flows through Manley Dual Mono Mic Pre, then to Manley ELOP, then to Lavry AD converter.
The Manley gear all checks out. Tubes are good, etc.
I tested with my RME Fireface UCX and this problem is not there, so there's something w the Manley gear that this mic is sensitive to.

I know, it's tubes on tubes, which may be too much gain, but when I reduce the gain to the point where there's less clipping (bypass ELOP, etc.) I get almost nothing going into my DAW. Tiny waveforms.

Even when I have low gain on mic pre and turn up output gain on ELOP, still a problem of super low signal going into converter.
No matter the scenario, the result is low level.

Anyone have this issue with a solution?

Last edited by TVR; 26th May 2018 at 06:08 AM..
Old 26th May 2018
Lives for gear

hmmm...just a thought, which you're probably already ahead of but worth a shot....
are you inputting at the DAW thru a Mic or Line input? If you're coming in thru a Mic input then you'd be over gaining it since the mic has it's own power supply. Make sure you're connecting to a line input.
Old 28th May 2018
Gear Nut

have you tried your manely chain with a different microphone in front of it? And do I understand correctly that when you connect the Bock directly to your RME mic preamp in the UCX, the mic works appropriately? Do you have any other outboard mic pre's to swap out temporarily just to try and isolate where the problem is? It sounds like you've already tried bypassing the ELOP. Have you also tried bypassing the lavry and going straight from manley preamp to UCX line input?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search