The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Unity Audio Boulder MK2 Studio Monitors
Old 24th May 2018
Gear Maniac

Unity Audio Boulder MK2

Think these monitors deserve a hell of a lot more mentions in the countless monitor discussions.

Took the plunge today, thanks to the very kind people at Unity Audio for hooking me up.

Coming from these previous monitors, The Rock mk2 - Amphion One15 - Focal SM9 - Neumann KH310 - Eve SC207. Had experience with countless more ATC + Barefoot.

These are seriously up there with the best. Sonnarworks has been the icing on the cake in my room.

The cleanest separation I've experienced in a monitor so far. Inspiring but no hype. Been producing today and decisions have been easy. Loading up reference tracks and matching the tone and sounds with ease.

I really liked the Amphions and The Rocks. Especially the top end of The Rocks. I was expecting the Rocks with some hyped fun sub on the boulders but it's much more balanced. I thought telling a bad mix from a good mix was easy on the Amphions and Rocks especially but I can now easy hear a bad mix - ok mix - great mix - amazing mix.

Anyway I won't blabber on, I have no affiliation with Unity Audio. I'm just really really glad I chose to get these in my room and try over the other massively hyped monitors on here without being able to read much reviews on them.

Definetely worth getting on peoples list when looking for new mons.
If anyone is based in London, UK. You are welcome to come give them a listen with your projects.

Old 25th May 2018
Gear Nut

Agreed, we've spec'd out many systems with models from U.A., only ever had one minor issue (a very faint buzz only audible very close to unit) that was quickly and professionally handled. Very nice low end on the Boulders for their size.

I'm a fan.
Old 26th May 2018
Lives for gear

I have had every iteration of the "Boulders" here.
As well as the Rocks.

And as soon as the new MKII versions came out, I had to have them,
Basically have been using them for about 3 years.

Simply put, these things Rock, especially for their size.
Old 26th May 2018
Gear Maniac

I agree guys.
These monitors are unbelievably great.
Old 3rd September 2018
Lives for gear
I had the rocks and miss them. I have the Hedd type 20 monitors. I prob would have just went with the boulders if I could. I think they have a mk3 now. I wonder how close the boulders can be. Can it be used in a small room.
Old 7th September 2018
Gear Head
My Boulder MKIIs are literally the best purchase I've ever made.. audio related or otherwise. A lot of love here. I'd live in a barn and ride a scooter before I'd sell them for what its worth!
Old 7th September 2018
Lives for gear
Great how far do you sit from them?
Old 7th September 2018
Lives for gear

I guess the market is pretty much saturated with really good monitoring options. Not easy for manufacturers with so much competition going on. Luckily for them the number of music producers went up in the past 20 years thanks to the DAW revolution, but not easy at all to survive and thrive.
Old 9th September 2018
Gear Head
I sit a little under 2m away, they sound cohesive surprisingly close in my experience.
Old 10th September 2018
Lives for gear
Thanks
Old 5th November 2018
Lives for gear

Still totally delighted with my Rock MkIIs after several years. If my modest home studio were large enough I would definitely be looking at upsizing to the Boulder IIs though.

Heard a pair in a known room recently and they are absolutely stonkin` in a nice balanced open way.
Old 23rd March 2019
Here for the gear

Reopening an older thread I know, but did you ever try these out against the new S3H or V Adams? This is my dilemma atm. I like detail and balance. I don't do EDM or rap or any such thing. Strictly acoustic/orchestral for film, and some pop/rock etc. No synth heavy stuff at all.

And btw the boulders are giant right? Like 3' tall?

Thanks
Old 24th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man_O_Music View Post
Reopening an older thread I know, but did you ever try these out against the new S3H or V Adams? This is my dilemma atm. I like detail and balance. I don't do EDM or rap or any such thing. Strictly acoustic/orchestral for film, and some pop/rock etc. No synth heavy stuff at all.

And btw the boulders are giant right? Like 3' tall?

Thanks
While I do think the Adam S3V and S3H are very capable monitors, based off my limited experience with them and The Boulder MK2 (no experience with the MK3 yet), I honestly feel that the Boulder is playing in a higher league. The detail, the finesse, the perfect time domain, it’s really special in my experience.

The S3V/H have a totally different tonality, a bit more smiley curve, making them sound nice at the cost of transparency I guess.

For producing music, I would save some money and get the Adam (or Hedd Type 20/30). For mixing, I would get the Boulder (if budget allows).
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search