The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Anybody buying consoles
Old 24th May 2018
Gear Addict

Anybody buying consoles

It's funny after spending a year in the Box my desire to have a full console rig has dissipated. Anyone else still thinking about buying a console in 2018?
Old 25th May 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxplayerz View Post
It's funny after spending a year in the Box my desire to have a full console rig has dissipated. Anyone else still thinking about buying a console in 2018?
In my experience, no. Many, many talk the talk, very few are willing to pony up the $$$ for a proper install, wiring, patch bays, maintenance, etc. - which in 2018, can cost 3-10X's the console cost. (Wire, connectors and labor are EXPENSIVE) The guys who know how to commission and maintain consoles are also becoming scarce.

Everyone wants the look. But no one will pay. Not to mention that studio's are growing smaller and more mobile every day, and even a moderate sized console is viewed as a huge monstrosity.

I just sold an $80k automated, beautifully maintained LFAC (D&R OrionX) for $6000. Ridiculous. And that after more than 1500 people looked at it. I almost didn't even sell it, because the loss was so horrific, but it went to a good place who will use it with love, so I felt a little better.

If my wife would have let me put it in the living room as part of the decor, I WOULD have kept it, but alas...no go there.
Old 25th May 2018
Gear Nut

I am considering, given I am tired of the hybrid work flow. A used SSL Duality may fit the mix.
I like the Neve stuff but am reticent to blow that dough, also not sure about the RT penetration with Neve.
Old 25th May 2018
Gear Maniac

Same as in a recent amp/cab thread, technology advancements are killing off expensive analog gear. Big consoles days are numbered.
Old 25th May 2018
Gear Guru

I'm buying more expensive analog gear than ever. That's not going away anytime soon. But the question was about analog consoles, not analog gear.
Old 25th May 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
In my experience, no. Many, many talk the talk, very few are willing to pony up the $$$ for a proper install, wiring, patch bays, maintenance, etc. - which in 2018, can cost 3-10X's the console cost. (Wire, connectors and labor are EXPENSIVE) The guys who know how to commission and maintain consoles are also becoming scarce.

Everyone wants the look. But no one will pay. Not to mention that studio's are growing smaller and more mobile every day, and even a moderate sized console is viewed as a huge monstrosity.

I just sold an $80k automated, beautifully maintained LFAC (D&R OrionX) for $6000. Ridiculous. And that after more than 1500 people looked at it. I almost didn't even sell it, because the loss was so horrific, but it went to a good place who will use it with love, so I felt a little better.

If my wife would have let me put it in the living room as part of the decor, I WOULD have kept it, but alas...no go there.
Someone got a good deal!!!
Old 25th May 2018
Deleted 86c3d96
If I have a successful year at work, and no person tanks the economy, I will finish a proper vanity mix room at home. I am gravitating towards an Audient 4816 or something like the SSL Matrix 2, or API The Box. That means the console, desk, wiring, and patch bays. I am open to a control surface/summing mixer solution, too. The SSL Nucleus 2 and Sigma look interesting on paper.Low on my list is the Avid S3 and Dock.

In my composing room, I am seriously considering something like the PreSonus Series 3.

Finally, I will check what consoles are available in my local used market. I have a high end pro audio reseller I will work with on the Audient. You never know what will pop up.
Old 25th May 2018
Lives for gear

I think a lot depends on where you look. The big studios are still buying big mixers. No one would trust a computer to manage theatre sound or indeed concert sound. So I think there is still a sizeable market for consoles, it's just not in the bedroom studio market.

Cheers

ian
Old 25th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffrecords View Post
No one would trust a computer to manage theatre sound or indeed concert sound.
Digico mixers are Windows 7 computers.

Andre
Old 25th May 2018
Lives for gear

big consoles are great things to own. and inexpensive now as well.

buy the best one you can get your hands on.

Buddha
Attached Thumbnails
Anybody buying consoles-dda-desk-.jpg  
Old 25th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
my desire to have a full console rig has dissipated
i've been working on consoles for 20 years, then itb for 10 years, now back to consoles for 5 years!
i'm using a daw just to edit, all audio processing gets done with digital hardware (console and outboard).
working on a console is MUCH MORE FUN (and so much faster, especially with lots of musicians relying on aux mixes - or an audience, waiting for a band to start playing - or most of us gathering news from the media)!

Quote:
no one would trust a computer to manage theatre sound or indeed concert sound
most any major euopean theater has been using a digital console from stagetec, lawo, studer, lawo, innovason, calrec, yamaha etc. for the last 20 years (and sometimes a digitally controlled analog console before).
have you ever been to a live show within the last 30 years? watching tv? listening radio? been in a football stadium? in a shopping mall? - it's hard to imagine places where no computers are getting used to process audio...

i have win7 for the console, the daw, to control the speaker managment and a mac for an analyser - studio, live, theater, broadcast

p.s. the digico's i come across run on xp
Attached Thumbnails
Anybody buying consoles-studer_vista.jpg  

Last edited by deedeeyeah; 25th May 2018 at 11:37 AM.. Reason: edited
Old 25th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
No one would trust a computer to manage theatre sound or indeed concert sound.
Euphonix System 5 (and then the later versions of the System 5) are nothing but big computers. You should see where those were/are installed.

Today the Avid S6 is a Windows computer and the live version S6L just an embedded computer. The Avid Venue is a Windows computer. I think more than a few of those have been sold.
Old 25th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by avare View Post
Digico mixers are Windows 7 computers.

Andre
Frightening!!

Cheers

Ian
Old 25th May 2018
Lives for gear

I just bought a 32-8-2 soundcraft console for nz$1300. A bargain. My shed is complete, almost.
Wiring and connects ARE expensive but it really is MUCH more fun working otb.imo.
Old 25th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmboy presents View Post
I just bought a 32-8-2 soundcraft console for nz$1300. A bargain. My shed is complete, almost.
Wiring and connects ARE expensive but it really is MUCH more fun working otb.imo.
cool. i cut a lot of records on one of those.

is it the automated one?

Buddha
Old 25th May 2018
Gear Maniac

I´d go for a Raven in a future but having a big analog or even digital desk is not interesting nor practical for me at this moment, I mention the Raven because if you get used to it it can really help your workflow and save you a lot of time, a great interface with great preamps and converters with a Presonus Faderport and 3 or 4 pieces of analog gear is all I need now.
Old 25th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Frightening!!

Cheers

Ian
you'd be amazed to find out on what gear the military is operating... or think about satellites, icbm's or nuclear power plants! glad we have (mostly) responsible people operating these?!
Old 26th May 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG BUDDHA View Post
big consoles are great things to own. and inexpensive now as well.

buy the best one you can get your hands on.

Buddha
c

That's awesome. I bought a 56 input dmr-12 in January. Wish I had the extra 12 busses you have, but no biggie
Old 26th May 2018
I just bought a Avid/Euphonix System 5 Fusion with dsp and Eucon for our new studio in Phuket, Thailand.
Best of both worlds IMHO.
Old 26th May 2018
Lives for gear

Used desk prices are going up and fewer used desks are showing up. That means the market itself answered the OP's question as yes (for that segment). While Dr. Bill thinks otherwise likely based on high dollar new desks not selling well and him taking the huge depreciation hit on his D&R desk, he did sell it within the 5% to 10% of new street price range where many good used desk bargains sell for. It's because someone else took the depreciation hit that many are now looking to these great used desks and demand for them is now on the rise. Look on the bright side Bill, keeping your wife happy with what her idea of what your living room should look like probably brings more side benefits than the desk ever did.
Old 26th May 2018
Gear Maniac

Bought a Studer 903 16/20/8 with superb EQ’s. But the difference is big enough to just sent the ITB mix through it. But admit a patience partner help, it’s big.
Old 26th May 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roloalcien View Post
I´d go for a Raven in a future but having a big analog or even digital desk is not interesting nor practical for me at this moment, I mention the Raven because if you get used to it it can really help your workflow and save you a lot of time, a great interface with great preamps and converters with a Presonus Faderport and 3 or 4 pieces of analog gear is all I need now.
A local guy bought a 40 input with patch bay and automation for $800. It's in his "B" room. The "A" room has a 40 input MR-4, he paid $500 for that one.
Old 26th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
cool. i cut a lot of records on one of those.

is it the automated one?

Buddha
No, fully manual. Sounds great. Ex rental company, fully serviced, spare power supply and no crackly pots that i have found yet. The eq could be described as severe .
Old 26th May 2018
Lives for gear

theres an SSL 9080-J on reverb for 100k.

i dont know what those things were new.

but for that quality of console, i think that would be considered cheep.

Buddha
Old 27th May 2018
Lives for gear

I bought a new 32 channel Cadac Live 1 this year. It’s a great size for my room and has all the functionality I need. I still really like the workflow of a console. I only mix my own stuff so recall isn’t a big issue for me. For people mixing multiple projects for others, I certainly understand moving in the box.
Old 28th May 2018
Quote:
theres an SSL 9080-J on reverb for 100k.

i dont know what those things were new.

but for that quality of console, i think that would be considered cheep.

Buddha
1/2mil US$ I'd imagine or more.

but I'm not sure a J series is a good buy in the current day. Not supported like the K, not desirable like a G, no integration like a Duality. I'd say that one will sit there for a while at that price.
Old 28th May 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
I'd say that one will sit there for a while at that price.
U know u want one!
Old 28th May 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxplayerz View Post
U know u want one!
Ha.

No thank you!
Old 28th May 2018
Wanna buy one of mine?

I got a 24x4x2 Soundcraft Delta console for sale. 24 inputs modified with Kimber black pearls silver wire, all LME opamps, direct coupled line in to mix, fixed up mic preamps, MIT MultiCap EQ caps, Roederstein 1% metal film resistors, 4% silver solder, etc. These are top notch and expensive parts.
The master is done current feedback with expensive Vishay S102 bulk foil resistors and silver foil caps. It has LME49713 CFA's and ADA4898-2 VFB opamps.

This also has a custom 5 amp Power One power supply, pick up only, give me $1500 and it's your's. It has over $7000 of work done and is a first rate acoustic music mixer of the highest quality and specs. I'm selling it because I also have a second one here I use.
Audio Upgrades
Old 28th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
Wanna buy one of mine?

I got a 24x4x2 Soundcraft Delta console for sale. 24 inputs modified with Kimber black pearls silver wire, all LME opamps, direct coupled line in to mix, fixed up mic preamps, MIT MultiCap EQ caps, Roederstein 1% metal film resistors, 4% silver solder, etc. These are top notch and expensive parts.
The master is done current feedback with expensive Vishay S102 bulk foil resistors and silver foil caps. It has LME49713 CFA's and ADA4898-2 VFB opamps.

This also has a custom 5 amp Power One power supply, pick up only, give me $1500 and it's your's. It has over $7000 of work done and is a first rate acoustic music mixer of the highest quality and specs. I'm selling it because I also have a second one here I use.
Audio Upgrades
no doubt you brought up the console to a level far above the production standard! - at least here in europe, i hardly ever came across a desk from the medium rice range and with somewhat limited features this heavily modified: has there ever been a market for this in the us or did you do it on the request of a customer? - anyway: i'm seriously interested in modifying a yamaha pm3500-40+4s-8-2 live console and would like to get your advice (and of course pay for valuable information): can i pm you?

p.s. i still do some mixes on my mci jh500: i never felt the need for modifying 'cause to my ears, anything going through this desk sounded much better than what i got from any ssl or similar priced desk...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search