Anybody buying consoles
Old 2nd June 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyman View Post
photo please
Before rebuilding the room...
Attached Thumbnails
Anybody buying consoles-9c9ab202-8fbf-424d-951c-116d7e0834fb.jpg   Anybody buying consoles-b78a7150-363b-4a8c-9e36-e86613e0069d.jpg  
Old 2nd June 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomlin View Post
Found a new photo where one can see more of the Console
Attached Thumbnails
Anybody buying consoles-dfe17bd5-bef7-4485-8d75-77be278374ff.jpeg  
Old 2nd June 2018
If you track through a Rupert Neve, you will have all the benefits of the sound of the pres, Eq's, etc at your finger tips while having Aux sends for headphone mixes and reverbs.

Now if you then mix on the console, the sound of all your tracks will go through the transformers and circuits of the mixer along with their glorious EQ and Compressors. You may prefer the recall of ITB if your doing a lot of sessions I get it. But the sound won't be the same with just using plug in's.

That's why I use a hybrid approach. As I also need recall, during mixing I get important tracks and run them through the Portico or SSl gear and print the new tracks in my DAW. Then hide and mute the original tracks. Then you get the best of both worlds.
Old 2nd June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by elegentdrum View Post
Show me better transport buttons & faders that run a DAW than what's on a Nucleus.
not much different from a yamaha dm2000 which is almost twenty years old by now...
Old 2nd June 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason rocks View Post
I currently have a Mackie Controller and two expanders for 24 faders. In working with my DAW I can jump to any track I want including my group faders in Cubase. I have transport controls, solo, mute, and over 20 of my favorite short cuts.

If I go with a API 1608 or even a SSL AWS 948, they don't have group faders which I can't imagine not working with especially since they are in my DAW mixer. If your link faders it's not the same as real group faders as you increase your signal on each fader. You can easily have a channel get too hot and distort. I hate working that way.

With a true group fader, all the channels for drums, guitar or vocals stay at the same level and you just adjust only the signal on the group channel.

The AWS can allow you to save your EQ settings so that is at least nice. But I think I may just stay in the box and route out to my X Rack which allows you to save settings on all your channels. If I buy a second X Rack, I will get the 16 modules of a real SSL console and it will cost a lot cheaper while it still saves the settings. Oh yeah don't forget the SSL 2 bus compressors which I confirmed is much better than the UAD SSL bus compressor or the SSL Native plug in.

I agree with JJ Blair that mixers are great for tracking, but to pay that much money just to track? Are you kidding me? Just buy those Rupert Neve 4 channel mic pre racks (https://rupertneve.com/products/portico-5024/), if you buy 3 or 4 of them, you get a full console of mic pre's.
I would respectfully suggest you need to experience both ways.

Spend a couple of months intensely tracking bands on a board, then go back to a rack of preamps, and tell us what you feel.

I’m with @ jjblair - I’m very happy with ITB mixing, but I don’t like tracking without a console - and I do headphone mixes within Pro tools too! It’s all about having things under your fingers at that point, and not having to think about blending mics or where the final trim for each signal is, and things like that.
Old 2nd June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
don't you want to run all your stuff thru plugins and then thru the console to master mix buss
If my tests doing that showed me that there was a sonic benefit, then I would. But there is not a sonic benefit.

When I get the console, I'll probably try a test with the silk to see if there's a difference between running multiple channels through silk and then through the bus, or simply running the bus through silk. But so far, I've been able to to tweak my analog chain after the PT bus to sound almost exactly like running through the console and its bus, without any of the headache, which makes recalls a million times easier.

Last edited by jjblair; 2nd June 2018 at 04:27 PM..
Old 2nd June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason rocks View Post
I agree with JJ Blair that mixers are great for tracking, but to pay that much money just to track? Are you kidding me? Just buy those Rupert Neve 4 channel mic pre racks (https://rupertneve.com/products/portico-5024/), if you buy 3 or 4 of them, you get a full console of mic pre's.
I don't need to buy a console full of anything. I already have enough outboard to track completely through. But a console's worth full or pres is not a console. No EQ or aux. And it's not about me. It's about other engineers using the room who want a console. But I love the workflow of tracking on a console.
Old 2nd June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
I've demonstrated over and over again that there is no sonic advantage to mixing OTB, but there is a huge practical advantage to mixing ITB.
this makes sense to me.

I would love a console, just don't have the space.
Old 2nd June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:

very nice ...do you record to tape
Old 2nd June 2018
Lives for gear

-here is a company that makes the 1073 desk out in the L>A> area
Burbank Audio Systems - Home
Old 2nd June 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
-here is a company that makes the 1073 desk out in the L>A> area
Burbank Audio Systems - Home
Ya but at their price you can get a neve genesis w flying faders
Old 3rd June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxplayerz View Post
Ya but at their price you can get a neve genesis w flying faders
well I don't know about prices i'm just trying to make conversation .The way I understand it these new consoles use a lot less energy and that can save you a lot of cash over 10 years .I believe that one guy said it cost him 800$ a month to run his old Neve..I don't work for these people ,just trying to show what else is out there.One guy said it sounds just like his old Neve desk..Yea they are a lot of money
Old 3rd June 2018
Deleted 86c3d96
Quote:
well I don't know about prices i'm just trying to make conversation .The way I understand it these new consoles use a lot less energy and that can save you a lot of cash over 10 years .I believe that one guy said it cost him 800$ a month to run his old Neve..I don't work for these people ,just trying to show what else is out there.One guy said it sounds just like his old Neve desk..Yea they are a lot of money
Space, power, cooling are huge factors in any project recording studio which is not designed to recoup the investment.
Old 3rd June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 86c3d96 View Post
Space, power, cooling are huge factors in any project recording studio which is not designed to recoup the investment.
that was another thing the cooling bill ,I believe they said it runs cooler too..What if you have to leave it running 24/7 wow.Alot of cash just to run it and then what about matinence on an older machine.Ill see if I can fine the video just for the fun of it
Old 3rd June 2018
Old 3rd June 2018
Lives for gear

then there is this one seems to sound nice
Trident Audio Developments
Old 3rd June 2018
Lives for gear

After an Api 1608, I had a Neve Genesys.
Now i have a Neve Custom Series 75
Three great consoles!
Cs75 has a lot more sound, preamps are frighteningly close to vintage 1073,' eq´s are the super versatile 1081, but with class A circuit, and they are phisical on every channel. And they are really magic, super musical!
In my 24 channel Cs75 there are 72 Custom Carnhill transformer and a track can go through 6 trasformers along the way.
On the Genesys there is only an output transformer in the pre.
About construction, it's discrete and THT along the whole sound path, IC are just for the routing and logical section.
Honestly Cs75 is the only reincarnation of a vintage Neve series 80 with a lot of new features.
I can post some works we made here, recorded and mixed entirely on the cs75.
Who worked on a vintage 80 series Neve feels completely at home on a CS75.
Old 3rd June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
then there is this one seems to sound nice
Trident Audio Developments
Nice desk but entirely not in the same league of a Cs75 or a Genesys or Api 1608
Old 3rd June 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
very nice ...do you record to tape
Thanks!

I use Burl MS 80 16/16 + SSL MADI SX for extra OP and AES. Mixbuss to QES PAD2 that also work as masterclock. I don’t have either the space or knowledge for tape

What is your recording setup?

Last edited by thomlin; 3rd June 2018 at 05:15 AM..
Old 3rd June 2018
Lives for gear

I been doing some research and one professional had what I thought was a cool approach maybe. I guess he records to protools thru his big desk and preamps and at mix down goes back thru the desk but with mainly sub mixes.I think Jeff Lynde runs his stuff back thru the desk for mixdown...Then again Andrew Sheps will stay ITB he claim the plugins get him the sound..
Old 3rd June 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cucaio75 View Post
After an Api 1608, I had a Neve Genesys.
Now i have a Neve Custom Series 75
Three great consoles!
Cs75 has a lot more sound, preamps are frighteningly close to vintage 1073,' eq´s are the super versatile 1081, but with class A circuit, and they are phisical on every channel. And they are really magic, super musical!
In my 24 channel Cs75 there are 72 Custom Carnhill transformer and a track can go through 6 trasformers along the way.
On the Genesys there is only an output transformer in the pre.
About construction, it's discrete and THT along the whole sound path, IC are just for the routing and logical section.
Honestly Cs75 is the only reincarnation of a vintage Neve series 80 with a lot of new features.
I can post some works we made here, recorded and mixed entirely on the cs75.
Who worked on a vintage 80 series Neve feels completely at home on a CS75.
I’ve used the C75;

I think sonically it’s great. Physically I found it s but fiddly compared to an 80series (but that’s more perception than reality, it’s no more fiddly than a G or Vr). I also would worry about long term maintenance - it’s quite complicated electronically compared to other desks, and servicing could be difficult depending on your location (maybe not an issue in a bigger Music metropolis).
Old 3rd June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Nice desk but entirely not in the same league of a Cs75 or a Genesys or Api 1608
no kidding .I would love to have a Cs75..What compressors does your board have on it..
Old 3rd June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
I’ve used the C75;

I think sonically it’s great. Physically I found it s but fiddly compared to an 80series (but that’s more perception than reality, it’s no more fiddly than a G or Vr). I also would worry about long term maintenance - it’s quite complicated electronically compared to other desks, and servicing could be difficult depending on your location (maybe not an issue in a bigger Music metropolis).
It would have been fantastic to have the big knobs of vintage desks. But all potentiometers, switchs, knobs,etc, ate of the highest quality ( elma,alps and custom ams neve components)
Electronically it's not so complicate.
Layout is clear and THT components can be found easily on tje market and also the no-sound ic are all Texas instruments findable chips workable with every pick and place machine.
Old 3rd June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks!

I use Burl MS 80 16/16 + SSL MADI SX for extra OP and AES. Mixbuss to QES PAD2 that also work as masterclock. I don’t have either the space or knowledge for tape

What is your recording setup?
I have a meager setup i'm not in your league.I rather folks don't laugh
Old 3rd June 2018
Quote:
It would have been fantastic to have the big knobs of vintage desks. But all potentiometers, switchs, knobs,etc, ate of the highest quality ( elma,alps and custom ams neve components)
Electronically it's not so complicate.
Layout is clear and THT components can be found easily on tje market and also the no-sound ic are all Texas instruments findable chips workable with every pick and place machine.
I should mention my opinion of the insides is probably quite heavily influenced by my tech who’s a little negative about it...but as I said, I enjoyed using it.
Old 3rd June 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I have a meager setup i'm not in your league.I rather folks don't laugh
You can make great recordings with a $500 interface, and one or Two mics. It’s not about the gear, it’s about musicians and skills.

But a Console is fun...
Old 3rd June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
I should mention my opinion of the insides is probably quite heavily influenced by my tech who’s a little negative about it...but as I said, I enjoyed using it.
Don't know if your tech have seen inside a neve genesys, or a rnd shelford or a ssl aws.
They are massively IC and entirely done by pick and place machine.
CS75 is a project of Robin Porter ( chief engineer at ams neve) and Bruce mcBean.
From 2015 company is in the hands of Bruce Millett, the Desk Doctor, the best desk tech in the world.
Old 3rd June 2018
Quote:
Don't know if your tech have seen inside a neve genesys, or a rnd shelford or a ssl aws.
They are massively IC and entirely done by pick and place machine.
CS75 is a project of Robin Porter ( chief engineer at ams neve) and Bruce mcBean.
From 2015 company is in the hands of Bruce Millett, the Desk Doctor, the best desk tech in the world.
We have a cs75 in Sydney. I know for a fact he has seen in it!

(And yes I’m pretty sure he knows his stuff and has reasons for his opinions, but I’m not going to defend or try to justify it because simply, I don’t know).

It’s great that there’s support for now, I’d just be a little wary of the future. It’s the nature of the beast - small company with relatively complex gear. I’m not the only one locally with this view!

Last edited by psycho_monkey; 3rd June 2018 at 10:30 PM..
Old 3rd June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
We have a cs75 in Sydney. I know for a fact he has seen in it!

(And yes I’m pretty sure he knows his stuff and has reasons for his opinions, but I’m not going to defend or try to justify it because skmply, I don’t know).

It’s great that there’s support for now, I’d just be a little wary of the future. It’s the nature of the beast - small company with relatively complex gear. I’m
Not the only one locally with this view!
Wow, you are so negative on this desk, and from years.
Why you say " for now" ???
It's really sad that after 4 years and the huge effort -all-in, Bruce Millett have done, this beautiful desk has such distrust words.
Old 4th June 2018
Quote:
Wow, you are so negative on this desk, and from years.
Why you say " for now" ???
It's really sad that after 4 years and the huge effort -all-in, Bruce Millett have done, this beautiful desk has such distrust words.
Hey, don’t put words in my mouth!

I broadly speaking agree with all your positive points. However there are also cons to your pros...and I’m just pointing them out in the interests of a balanced discussion. I have negative things to say about most things - but with the best products, they’re vastly outweighed by the positive! Constructive criticism is not a bad thing.

And putting 4 years of work into something is irrelevant, plenty of bad concepts have had time and money put into them! I’m not saying that is the case here at all - only that it’s no justification for something being good!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search