The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Anybody buying consoles
Old 2nd October 2018
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradD View Post
I bought a new 32 channel Cadac Live 1 this year. It’s a great size for my room and has all the functionality I need. I still really like the workflow of a console. I only mix my own stuff so recall isn’t a big issue for me. For people mixing multiple projects for others, I certainly understand moving in the box.
Not much information about these available on the net, how much approximately did the 32 channel set you back?
Old 2nd October 2018
Lives for gear

About $4,700.
Old 16th October 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cucaio75 View Post
CS75 is a project of Robin Porter ( chief engineer at ams neve) and Bruce mcBean.
From 2015 company is in the hands of Bruce Millett, the Desk Doctor, the best desk tech in the world.
Apologies for the slightly delayed bump here; I've been asked to relay a correction here from the inside. The CS75 Was Bruce McBean's project - Robin was employed by AMS Neve yes, but his involvement on the CS75 was minimal, he was not part of the design or leadership team. Some advice offered sure; maybe not all of it listened to.

Just to correct that point - credit (and blame) where it is due!
Old 16th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
Apologies for the slightly delayed bump here; I've been asked to relay a correction here from the inside. The CS75 Was Bruce McBean's project - Robin was employed by AMS Neve yes, but his involvement on the CS75 was minimal, he was not part of the design or leadership team. Some advice offered sure; maybe not all of it listened to.

Just to correct that point - credit (and blame) where it is due!
The project fully involved Robin Porter, and he can be considered one of the mind of the project.
You can ask to Bruce Millett.
In this video he clearly states that.

YouTube
Old 17th October 2018
Quote:
The project fully involved Robin Porter, and he can be considered one of the mind of the project.
You can ask to Bruce Millett.
In this video he clearly states that.

YouTube
I’ll repeat I don’t have a particular interest in this console or company - I’ve used one a few times, quite like it but that’s it.

I was asked to relay the above information on behalf of another member of the team, who wanted to correct this information.

I don’t need to watch a video from a 3rd party (or was Bruce Millet part of the design team? I don’t even know). I was asked to contribute the above by someone who was there.

So - either they’re for some reason making things up (I assure you this is not the case! I and anyone else who knows them would vouch for their professional integrity) or your 3rd hand info is incorrect.

But - why not contact Robin and ask him direct? If you’re not in a position to do that...maybe trust those who are?

At any rate, it’s not my intention to try to convince you - believe what you will. Anyone else reading this thread can choose who to believe, I’m just being asked to relay the facts from someone who was actually there, as opposed to opinion from those who weren’t. I wish I could be more specific but I’ve been asked not to reveal identities!
Old 17th October 2018
Interestingly the desk doctor site makes no mention of their official support - not doubting that, just that it’s weird it’s not advertised. Very old looking site tho!
Old 17th October 2018
Gear Addict

Well those cs 75 desks have the neve price tag that's for sure. But lack the options a genesis provides
Old 17th October 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxplayerz View Post
Well those cs 75 desks have the neve price tag that's for sure. But lack the options a genesis provides
I guess it depends on what you need - I don’t know what preamp options the Genesis comes with, but the cs75 I use(d) has a full complement of preamps, rather than just the 8 of the Genesis.

Remember that neither is actually a “Neve” though - I guess the RND consoles can claim that!
Old 17th October 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
I guess it depends on what you need - I don’t know what preamp options the Genesis comes with, but the cs75 I use(d) has a full complement of preamps, rather than just the 8 of the Genesis.

Remember that neither is actually a “Neve” though - I guess the RND consoles can claim that!
Well like a g 48 would have 24 1073 preamps so I'm not sure what you mean by just 8. Maybe if you got the G 16 it would be 8
Old 17th October 2018
About Us | Custom Series 75 - "Chief Engineer Bruce McBean" - no mention of Robin Porter.
Old 17th October 2018
Quote:
Well like a g 48 would have 24 1073 preamps so I'm not sure what you mean by just 8. Maybe if you got the G 16 it would be 8
Yes fair enough - the 24pre Genesis is price comparable to the 24channel CS75 (new price). There is an 8pre option which was the one I found on my phone earlier.

The Genesis lacks EQ; the CS75 lacks the DAW options. The CS75 is designed more as an analogue front end/summing mixing option then I guess, the Genesis more as a multipurpose solution.

As I said - depends on features needed.
Old 17th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
I’ll repeat I don’t have a particular interest in this console or company - I’ve used one a few times, quite like it but that’s it.

I was asked to relay the above information on behalf of another member of the team, who wanted to correct this information.

I don’t need to watch a video from a 3rd party (or was Bruce Millet part of the design team? I don’t even know). I was asked to contribute the above by someone who was there.

So - either they’re for some reason making things up (I assure you this is not the case! I and anyone else who knows them would vouch for their professional integrity) or your 3rd hand info is incorrect.

But - why not contact Robin and ask him direct? If you’re not in a position to do that...maybe trust those who are?

At any rate, it’s not my intention to try to convince you - believe what you will. Anyone else reading this thread can choose who to believe, I’m just being asked to relay the facts from someone who was actually there, as opposed to opinion from those who weren’t. I wish I could be more specific but I’ve been asked not to reveal identities!
This is the complete team:
Tom Misner – Owner/Designer/Marketing
Bruce McBean - Design Team Leader
Stephen Crane - Mechanical Design
Grzegorz Rozek - Software Design
Rod Harris - Design Engineer
Murray Irvine - Design Engineer
Attila Acs – Website, Graphics & Photos
Dirk Terrill - Documentation

I had the pleasure to meet Bruce Millett a few times here in my studio in Italy.
He explained to me many things about cs75.
I had a Neve Genesys so I spoked via email many times with Robin Porter.
You can hear from the interview in the video that Bruce says: the console was ORIGINALLY developed in conjunction with Robin Porter. ( are you saying Bruce is laying? Bruce Millett???)
So Robin Porter made an important contribution to the concept and layout of the console.
Then Tom Misner organized the operative team, and here Robin was not involved.
But.. You used the cs75
Please tell us about sound..
People are more interested to know this aspect...

Last edited by Cucaio75; 17th October 2018 at 05:20 AM..
Old 17th October 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
It's funny after spending a year in the Box my desire to have a full console rig has dissipated. Anyone else still thinking about buying a console in 2018?
Neve 8014 and Calrec 20 Channel Consoles are still workhorses in a Digital/ITB age. They're very useful for tracking.

The new Harrison 950MX looks cool also.
Old 17th October 2018
Quote:
This is the complete team:
Tom Misner – Owner/Designer/Marketing
Bruce McBean - Design Team Leader
Stephen Crane - Mechanical Design
Grzegorz Rozek - Software Design
Rod Harris - Design Engineer
Murray Irvine - Design Engineer
Attila Acs – Website, Graphics & Photos
Dirk Terrill - Documentation

I had the pleasure to meet Bruce Millett a few times here in my studio in Italy.
He explained to me many things about cs75.
I had a Neve Genesys so I spoked via email many times with Robin Porter.
You can here from the interview in the video that Bruce says: the console was ORIGINALLY developed in conjunction with Robin Porter. ( are you saying Bruce is laying? Bruce Millett???)
So Robin Porter made an important contribution to the concept and layout of the console.
Then Tom Misner organized the operative team, and here Robin was not involved.
Well, if you have a direct line to Robin, I suggest emailing him and asking! I'm not accusing anyone of lying, as I said I'm only passing on information from the horse's mouth.

As I understand it, Bruce Millet was commissioned originally as the US service centre, and he ended up buying the rights to the business. He may well not have been told the story in detail himself! He certainly isn't in the team above.

That'll be my last word on the topic - but if you're interested, you certainly have the connections to find out more.

Quote:
But.. You used the cs75
Please tell us about sound..
People are more interested to know this aspect...
I really only used a few channels as a tracking console, in an unfamiliar studio. I liked the feel of it (if a touch fiddly compared to a vintage console). I liked the sound, but I couldn't tell you how close it would be to a true "vintage Neve". I certainly had no issues recording on it, and it was an enjoyable session. Never did quite work out the best way to set it up for monitoring - the record/mix buss is more confusing than it needs to be!
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 127Riot View Post
I do not use a lot of plug ins and as the years gone by and I purchased better gear I used less and less plug ins. On a final mix I probably have approximately 15 plug ins on a mix.

I own the
Renaissance Bundle
Api Bundle
SSL Bundle
Besides that a few odds n ends plug ins that I purchased here and there.

The Rennaisance Bundle I use the most. I use the R-Eq to LO & Hi-pass guitars, bass, and vocals, the R-Vox I use on vocals.

The SSL Bundle I use the SSL channel for Kick & Snare
and sometimes SSL Comp for drum Buss.

The api Bundle I use the 550a eq on guitars and sometimes I use the 550b on vocals.

Sometimes I use these in conjunction with outboard. It really just depends on the mix. Sometimes I use zero plug ins if I'm going for a straight clean as I tracked it Mix.

If I could only use one plug in it would be the R-Vox. It just has a way of bringing the vocal to the front and keeping it there without getting in the way.

When I use these plug ins I don't push them because I find they can get nasty quick. This is what I think sets hardware apart from plug ins I feel you can push hardware and it's stays pleasing where if you push a plug in watch out it can get HARSH. Again this is just my opinion from my experience.

Oh and Vahalla Reverb is awesome to!

Huh. I like the concept of plugins and the economy/ recall, but I find my self using them less and less. My last mix I used zero, but there are about 9 I still use sometimes/ occasionally. Hardware just seems to get me the sounds I like; maybe it's because I started with consoles and tape before ProTools existed...and now I'm back to a console [but typically not tape].
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I do not know about you, but I'm thinking to buy a console
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search