Bass Power Amp or Pre/Power Amp
Old 29th February 2004
Lives for gear

Bass Power Amp or Pre/Power Amp

Hey everyone. What would you recommend for a Bass Power Amp or a Pre and Power Amp? I don't need a amp/cab combo, just a power or pre/power amp. Please don't recommend Aguilar because I already know it's great. I don't enjoy Ampeg, and I've enjoyed the Mesa 360 and 600, and also Pearce bass amps.

Old 29th February 2004
Gear nut

As a bass player (don't know if this belongs in the High end category), I've always enjoyed separates - pre/power. I can scale back my power amp for something small/lighter and keep the pre, etc. More flexible.
Old 29th February 2004
Lives for gear

If you have recommendations for separate preamps and power amps, please do give them. No budget limit.

Has anyone tried using PA power amps like Crown or QSC with bass?
Old 29th February 2004
Gear nut

I personally was looking for an Ampeg svt, and I found a svt preamp. It was what I was looking for but it doesn't sound like what you want Anyway, I found a good deal on the matching 1500w ampeg power amp so thats what I got.

Pick the pre based on what your looking for. Good names are SWR, Ampeg, Aguilar, etc. Check out an issue of Bass player or something. One pre that always got good marks was the Demeter.

As far as power amps go, any descent power amp that you would use in other situations would work. If I was shopping for an amp now, I think I might go for one of those small 1-rack space digital switching amps to save on my back.

Welcome to Gearslutz Pro Audio Forum!

Registration benefits include:
  • Ability to make and reply to posts
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant lifetime access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20
  • List your eBay auctions for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search