The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New Neumann/Sennheiser k47 capsule - any experience? Condenser Microphones
Old 23rd May 2018
Gear Addict

New Neumann/Sennheiser k47 capsule - any experience?

Has anyone swapped out the capsule in an original or even upgraded a U47 clone to a new Neumann/Sennheiser k47 capsule?

How is it compared to the many K47 variants around these days?

Cheers!
Old 23rd May 2018
Lives for gear

I have a new k47/49 from Neumann in an M49 clone, and it’s outrageous.

IMO, it’s like if Gibson PAF guitar pickups were still being made with the same tolerances and materials they always had been... you’d probably want to get them if you wanted a guitar that had “that tone”.

With mics, the differences are potentially even more pronounced... quite literally amplified by an order of magnitude.
Old 23rd May 2018
Lives for gear

Good enough for Rock & Roll.
Old 23rd May 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by toledo3 View Post
I have a new k47/49 from Neumann in an M49 clone, and it’s outrageous.

IMO, it’s like if Gibson PAF guitar pickups were still being made with the same tolerances and materials they always had been... you’d probably want to get them if you wanted a guitar that had “that tone”.

With mics, the differences are potentially even more pronounced... quite literally amplified by an order of magnitude.
Do you mind saying what your clone was?
Old 23rd May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by davehall6162 View Post
Do you mind saying what your clone was?
No, I don’t mind, it was the only “M49CG” produced by Oliver Archut before he passed. This was a line of mics conceived with input from Stephen Bright of Cathedral Guitars, who is a great guy btw. I think it’s fair to say that the basic concept was to try to get a step closer than many clones do by using genuine capsules.

There’s just something about it that sounds so balanced and complimentary to basically anything and everything.

They made a few C12 with real brass CK12 supplied by Klaus Heyne (I have one of them and it kills), I think a few 67s, and the one M49.
Old 23rd May 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by toledo3 View Post
No, I don’t mind, it was the only “M49CG” produced by Oliver Archut before he passed. This was a line of mics conceived with input from Stephen Bright of Cathedral Guitars, who is a great guy btw. I think it’s fair to say that the basic concept was to try to get a step closer than many clones do by using genuine capsules.

There’s just something about it that sounds so balanced and complimentary to basically anything and everything.

They made a few C12 with real brass CK12 supplied by Klaus Heyne (I have one of them and it kills), I think a few 67s, and the one M49.
Oh yeah sure...Ive heard great things about the CG mics. So you had an already cool mic and then took it it to another level with the capsule change. Sounds fantastic!

I'm thinking of possibly doing the same with a Pearlman TM47 I own and love. The one I have was picked blind by 3 of us out of a bunch of Flea 47's an original 48 and a Bock 407. Its got a really nice large BV8 and an unbelievable sounding Telefunken EF14 tube in there. Don't have any issues with the capsule but the thoughts of being able to take it up another notch with a Neumann K47 are very very with tempting indeed.
Old 23rd May 2018
Lives for gear

To be clear, they set it up from the start with the Neumann cap. So I can’t give a fair indication of what a before and after capsule swap between a chinese k47 and a real one, only relative to other mics.

Fwiw, I do notice vintage king listing new Neumann k49 replacement caps somewhat regularly on eBay.

I will say though, that I think that the Haun k47 and CK12 used in Bock/Soundelux sound quite good though not exactly like the real things. Very even and capable of creating stunning audio images though. I’ve heard selected Asian k47 in mics that sound pretty good too (and some not so good)... my feeling is that maybe one can get a nice sounding example through selection.

You might want to just ask David Bock what he thinks the difference would be with a true k47 substitute. In my experience, he will just say and not give BS laden answers. Straight shooter. I suspect the Bock mics would be of lesser benefit for that than some others, but I wouldn’t be surprised for there to be a palpable tonal difference.

On a related note, things like Theirsch M7 are a little overly smooth and prone to being tubby in the low mids...nice to have something with one on hand though.

Last edited by toledo3; 23rd May 2018 at 10:24 PM.. Reason: Correcting typo.
Old 23rd May 2018
Lives for gear

Last I heard/read Klaus hears the current Neumann capsule to be the nicest of the bunch. I’m sure he will correct if that has changed. They’re expensive but you often get what you pay for.
Old 24th May 2018
Lives for gear

I put new K47s in my M49s, to replace the aging M7s. They are terrific.
Old 24th May 2018
Gear Maniac
I've got one in a Max Kircher 47, really like it and prefer it to the remake M7 I had in there before that.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search