The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Neumann U67 Reissue Issue
Old 23rd May 2018
Neumann U67 Reissue Issue

Has anyone had the following happen to their U67 reissue?
I've had 2, one on APR 13 & another on May 22 (today), & they've had the same exact "problem" the first day!:

After 1.5-2 hours of being on & recording with it the mic cuts off, no signal comes through & it emits a continuous hum. After waiting about a 1/2 hour I turn it back on & starts working again without any problem at all.
The first one, up until today of daily use, has worked fine. It never happened again.
We'll see with the second one.

BTW, they sound great!
Old 23rd May 2018
Gear Addict

I have not had this issue with any of mine. They have been on for multiple hours with zero problems. Did you open your mics when you received them to see if the tube was set properly after shipment?
Old 23rd May 2018
Lives for gear

Iโ€™ve had zero issues with mine.
Old 23rd May 2018
Gear Nut

No issues here.
Old 23rd May 2018
No issues here.
Old 23rd May 2018
Gear Guru

open it and make sure the tube is seated properly.
the first one I got the tube was all whacked out of the socket from shipping.
Old 28th November 2018
Here for the gear

Mine is doing the same thing. Working with Sweetwater for a solution. As soon as I unpacked it there was nothing. Reseated tube and it was fine. 1.5 months later during a vocal session it just stopped after being on for approx. an hour. Reseated tube again with no luck. wow. Expensive mic to have this kind of issue so soon. Maybe regretting not getting the Flea 47 or Wunder CM7...
Old 28th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by studiodude View Post
Mine is doing the same thing. Working with Sweetwater for a solution. As soon as I unpacked it there was nothing. Reseated tube and it was fine. 1.5 months later during a vocal session it just stopped after being on for approx. an hour. Reseated tube again with no luck. wow. Expensive mic to have this kind of issue so soon. Maybe regretting not getting the Flea 47 or Wunder CM7...
If you are really regretting the microphone, have it fixed and sell it off and get what you want.

From my perspective the Flea and Wunder stuff sound dramatically different than a Neumann U67. I cannot imagine regretting getting a U67, if I want the sound of a U67.
Getting a lemon would suck, if that is what happened. Nevertheless, getting a bad mic can be resolved through replacement or repair, since all of the new U67s are still under full warranty. However, regretting not getting a product that sounds somewhat to remarkably different, is a completely different can of worms that a manufacturer's repair and replacement warranty cannot remedy.

In my honest opinion, which is based on previous dealings with Neumann, you will likely not find better support (different, yes). Moreover, they've been around longer than Wunder and Flea. If you want the sonics of those other mics, go get it. If your regret is tied to not having a working mic, put your mind at ease. Neumann will take care of you; you are under full-warranty. I would trust Neumann over 99% of the other manufacturers to fix any issue with a mic. Moreover, do you have data to suggest that Flea and Wunder would produce superior products or have superior service to Neumann?

I know that having an nonworking mic can be nightmarish. Hang in there and keep us posted.
Old 28th November 2018
Hello,
I started this thread & after 2x U67's they're working perfectly fine! No one knows, to this day, what actually happened! I bet if I get a 3rd one in here the same thing would happen. I came to the conclusion, after consulting with Klaus & others, that the PSU somehow initially went through something to set itself with my studio.
Anyway I agree with what Matt just stated.
And there's no way I'd change (downgrade) this mic to a FleA or Wunder. I've had all those in my studio & have worked with them and are fine mics in their own right. Love the U67 & compliments my C800G & all my other AKG, Neumann mics.
Old 29th November 2018
Gear Addict

U67

Quote:
Originally Posted by studiodude View Post
Sweetwater should take care of any issues for you. The three new U67โ€™s I had all worked perfectly. And they have been packed, flown thousands of miles unpacked without any issues. Iโ€™m sure you have checked every issue and resolved in stages what could be the fault? Head, tube, cable, power supply etc. To complain about a mic and compare it to different mics that our source different doesnโ€™t make any sense. You still need a 67 to get what a 67 can do, and a 47 to do what a 47 can do. I hope they resolve your issue so you can get to work with this new U67. They are great mics.
Old 4th September 2019
Gear Maniac
Just got our brand new one today and the same happened: humming and also the light on power supply was hardly glowing. Turned off for some time and everything was back to normal. Did you get it sorted? A bit freaked out about it...
Old 4th September 2019
As stated in my November post, this issue must be uniquely related to something in the power (in the studio) where the 67 PS seems to somehow initially "set/ reset itself".
Both mics had the same issue, once, & worked perfectly ever since. You've nothing to worry about.
Old 5th September 2019
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by aremos View Post
As stated in my November post, this issue must be uniquely related to something in the power (in the studio) where the 67 PS seems to somehow initially "set/ reset itself".
Both mics had the same issue, once, & worked perfectly ever since. You've nothing to worry about.
Thats lovely to hear
Thank you!
Old 29th May 2020
Lives for gear

I bought used, had the problem I describe below, sent the mic to Neumann under warranty:

โ€œWhen first powered on, the mic signal is very low (quiet) when the capsule is addressed with a vocal, however, while touching the head basket, the mic signal is very strong (loud).

Sometimes, after 30 minutes or so, there will be very loud popping, often in series. Then, the signal reaches a proper level and remains stable until powered off.

Other times the solution is to toggle the 10dB pre-attenuation pad on, then, toggle it off again.
Please advise regarding next step.
Thank you,โ€

Neumann addressed the issue at no charge and reported:

โ€œThe sockets that the capsule mount fits into were loose causing the intermittent start up. I realigned the sockets correcting the problem. QC and tested.โ€

The mic was just shipped back to me, I pick it up today, 5/29/2020, and will report back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuldLangSine View Post
Just reporting fwiw: Today, my reissue U67 PS will not stay on. It comes on and the signal thru is good at first, then the power supply turns off. I've turned it on and off several times, and it just will not stay on.

Has anyone had theirs serviced? If so, what exactly was the defect?
Old 29th May 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenLMorgan View Post
I bought used, had the problem I describe below, sent the mic to Neumann under warranty:

โ€œWhen first powered on, the mic signal is very low (quiet) when the capsule is addressed with a vocal, however, while touching the head basket, the mic signal is very strong (loud).

Sometimes, after 30 minutes or so, there will be very loud popping, often in series. Then, the signal reaches a proper level and remains stable until powered off.

Other times the solution is to toggle the 10dB pre-attenuation pad on, then, toggle it off again.
Please advise regarding next step.
Thank you,โ€

Neumann addressed the issue at no charge and reported:

โ€œThe sockets that the capsule mount fits into were loose causing the intermittent start up. I realigned the sockets correcting the problem. QC and tested.โ€

The mic was just shipped back to me, I pick it up today, 5/29/2020, and will report back.
The problem you describe is something else. I've since spoken to others that sort of had the same issue described & there was something wrong with the power supply. Hopefully Sennheiser has addressed it in their current production of the mic.
Old 29th May 2020
Lives for gear

It is supposed to detect between 120v and 240v, and switch. It is *supposed* to be a feature, not a bug, though maybe it can go awry sometimes?

If I had a problem with it not resetting properly, my first instinct would be to use a wall socket tester just to make sure that the socket is 100% proper, no shenanigans with neutral or ground. If the socket in fact is fine, then off to service I suppose.
Old 30th May 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by toledo3 View Post
It is supposed to detect between 120v and 240v, and switch. It is *supposed* to be a feature, not a bug, though maybe it can go awry sometimes? ...
Makes sense. I think that's it.
๐Ÿ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
๐Ÿ–จ๏ธ Show Printable Version
โœ‰๏ธ Email this Page
๐Ÿ” Search thread
โ™พ๏ธ Similar Threads
๐ŸŽ™๏ธ View mentioned gear