The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Hedd Type 20
Old 22nd May 2018
Gear Maniac

Hedd Type 20

any new feedback from the HEDD type 20 speakers.
anyone have them? how is the translation verses
say something more clinical like amphion speakers?
Old 26th July 2018
Lives for gear

I have them and they do excellent job as a compact 3-way nearfield. I did compare them to Neumann kh310, Dyn LYD48, Focal trio and Barefoot footprint 01 and decided to go with Type 20.

They are clinical (someway similar to PMC) very low distortion and fast transient response, so you'll find many mastered/released music show harshness & distortion in the mid/hi frequencies, but professional mixed & mastered music sounds just ok.

Haven't tried Amphion monitors but they are 2-way with passive radiator so it's a different concept.
Old 6th September 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Albazy View Post
I have them and they do excellent job as a compact 3-way nearfield. I did compare them to Neumann kh310, Dyn LYD48, Focal trio and Barefoot footprint 01 and decided to go with Type 20.

They are clinical (someway similar to PMC) very low distortion and fast transient response, so you'll find many mastered/released music show harshness & distortion in the mid/hi frequencies, but professional mixed & mastered music sounds just ok.

Haven't tried Amphion monitors but they are 2-way with passive radiator so it's a different concept.
better than focal trio? why better to you? thanx
Old 19th February 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:

and the lyd 48?
Old 19th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameron View Post
and the lyd 48?
Very nice monitors for the price and in the range of sub £2000 they are probably at the top 5. The thing I didn't like about them is the rear port and DSP only which came without any digital input so that means an extra sample rate conversion on the playback.

Anyway, I recommend either Hedd Type 30 or Neumann KH310 for this range of monitors. Both of them are the best performance/cost.
Old 19th February 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Very nice monitors for the price and in the range of sub £2000 they are probably at the top 5. The thing I didn't like about them is the rear port and DSP only which came without any digital input so that means an extra sample rate conversion on the playback.

Anyway, I recommend either Hedd Type 30 or Neumann KH310 for this range of monitors. Both of them are the best performance/cost.
thanx
but dsp and rear port aside, detail? sound? hedd type 20, neumann kh 310 and barefoot footprint 01 gives objectively more details?

i need for mastering

i cant listen any of them here, i'll order a random pair probably : /

dyn wins at first because is more affordable, but others have similar price and i have no idea what could be better for me

(if helps, i'm coming from adam a8x and have often some harsh result, probably because the tweeter is too smooth)
Old 19th February 2019
Gear Addict

Any thoughts on hedd 20 vs Trident HG3??
Old 19th February 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by somsto75 View Post
Any thoughts on hedd 20 vs Trident HG3??
Trident who?! This Trident?

YouTube
Old 20th February 2019
Lives for gear

Hello,

Is there a DSP on the Hedd type 20 ? if yes what does it do ? Room correction?
I already own sonarworks.

I am still hesitating between those hedd type 20, the kh310, or a pair of Amphion two 18.

I already own a pair of Event Opal, and a pair of ns10.

My goal is translation. The Amphion seems to be very good at that.

Would like to know your experience

Regards

Sergio
Old 20th February 2019
Lives for gear
They translate really well. The top end is very open. They show harshness with bad masters. They also show compression if it is used too much. For mastering yup it is full range. They are great monitors. With soundworks you really start hearing them.
Old 20th February 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreiPiatra View Post
Trident who?! This Trident?

YouTube
Anybody have anything useful to add?
Old 20th February 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by somsto75 View Post
Anybody have anything useful to add?
Pick the HEDDs already!
Old 20th February 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreiPiatra View Post
Pick the HEDDs already!
cool cant wait to read your review

i'll probably go with hedd too
Old 20th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
thanx
but dsp and rear port aside, detail? sound? hedd type 20, neumann kh 310 and barefoot footprint 01 gives objectively more details?

i need for mastering

i cant listen any of them here, i'll order a random pair probably : /

dyn wins at first because is more affordable, but others have similar price and i have no idea what could be better for me

(if helps, i'm coming from adam a8x and have often some harsh result, probably because the tweeter is too smooth)

LYD48 they do have details, clarity and very good balance, they do emphasise the hi-mids a bit.

But if you want that extra 10% then you should consider Type-20 or KH310.

The harshness in the A8X because it focuses more on bass and the very top hi-end, so you end up exciting the harshness in the mids while mixing. they are rubbish tbh, sorry. Personally, I hate all the AX series.
Old 20th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergioelectro View Post
Hello,

Is there a DSP on the Hedd type 20 ? if yes what does it do ? Room correction?
I already own sonarworks.

I am still hesitating between those hedd type 20, the kh310, or a pair of Amphion two 18.

I already own a pair of Event Opal, and a pair of ns10.

My goal is translation. The Amphion seems to be very good at that.

Would like to know your experience

Regards

Sergio
There's no DSP in the Type-20 it's all analogue design. The Amphion is a 2-way passive radiator design and Type-20 & KH310 are 3-way design. I'll always pick a 3-way design if I can afford it. And you already have a good 2-way speaker the Opal.
Old 21st February 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
LYD48 they do have details, clarity and very good balance, they do emphasise the hi-mids a bit.

But if you want that extra 10% then you should consider Type-20 or KH310.

The harshness in the A8X because it focuses more on bass and the very top hi-end, so you end up exciting the harshness in the mids while mixing. they are rubbish tbh, sorry. Personally, I hate all the AX series.
thank you

im so undecided, i like more the look of dynaudio, cost less, and im very curious to try different "tech" from mine (rear bass port and usual tweeter)

hedd instead could be more safety purchase because same tweeter but much better, mid driver, better bass and front bass port like mine, so the disposition will be more similar and more fast to fit in my room

is there someone that preferred lyd 48 to type 20?
Old 21st February 2019
Gear Nut

hey Mr. Albazy one more question, about bass, i'm doing mastering (i know big word here) mainly on bass music, so do you think hedd are better also on bass region?
Old 21st February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
hey Mr. Albazy one more question, about bass, i'm doing mastering (i know big word here) mainly on bass music, so do you think hedd are better also on bass region?
The bass of the Hedd's remind me of the PMC tower speakers, tbh it's not as dry as the PMC, but its got similar bigness and so deep (34Hz -3 db) and more important translate very well.

I do mainly professional mixing and mastering, I rarely compose/produce anything. With the Hedd I don't need to crank them to hear the bass or the very top hi-end, which is so important for me, this way I can work for a longer time on sessions.

However, I've spent a lot on acoustic treatment. Without proper acoustic treatment no speaker can hold itself.
Old 22nd February 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
The bass of the Hedd's remind me of the PMC tower speakers, tbh it's not as dry as the PMC, but its got similar bigness and so deep (34Hz -3 db) and more important translate very well.

I do mainly professional mixing and mastering, I rarely compose/produce anything. With the Hedd I don't need to crank them to hear the bass or the very top hi-end, which is so important for me, this way I can work for a longer time on sessions.

However, I've spent a lot on acoustic treatment. Without proper acoustic treatment no speaker can hold itself.
thanx again

and about barefoot footprint? what you didnt like or where was better to you on hedd?

can barefoot show better harsh even at low volume? bass? mid?
Old 22nd February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
thanx again

and about barefoot footprint? what you didnt like or where was better to you on hedd?

can barefoot show better harsh even at low volume? bass? mid?
Wasn't the best mid-range performance (the most important range for me), that's something I've noticed with all American brands. European brands are leading the market in my opinion, if I'll change my Hedds I'll go ATC or PMC for sure.
Old 23rd February 2019
Lives for gear

So I do have narrow my choice to the Neumann KH310A or the Hedd type 20.

I am really hesitating between those two models.

I mainly produce EDM and dance music.

Which of those two models is the best ? Which one has the best translation ?

Thank you for sharing your experience?

Regards

Sergio
Old 24th February 2019
Lives for gear
Hedd type 20 translate really well.
Old 24th February 2019
Lives for gear

Anyone had the chance to compare the hedd type 20 against the Neumann kh310A?

Thanks

Sergio
Old 25th February 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Anyone had the chance to compare the hedd type 20 against the Neumann kh310A?

Thanks

Sergio
Klaus from HEDD has said that the KH310 was one of the main speakers they shot out the Type 20 against in development. I've heard both, and I prefer Type 20.

The KH310 sounds very conservative to me. Dry-ish highs, warm-ish mids, not overly transient forward in the lows. They are flat in every sense of the word. Felt like they just didn't tell me much, like trying to mix on them would be like the Socratic method of mixing. Me: "Is that what I want to do?" KH310: "I don't know, IS it??"

I found the Type 20 to just feel a lot more insightful and opinionated, in a good way, and despite being ported, faster in the low end. I'd advise hearing both first though.
Old 25th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnBoy View Post
Klaus from HEDD has said that the KH310 was one of the main speakers they shot out the Type 20 against in development. I've heard both, and I prefer Type 20.

The KH310 sounds very conservative to me. Dry-ish highs, warm-ish mids, not overly transient forward in the lows. They are flat in every sense of the word. Felt like they just didn't tell me much, like trying to mix on them would be like the Socratic method of mixing. Me: "Is that what I want to do?" KH310: "I don't know, IS it??"

I found the Type 20 to just feel a lot more insightful and opinionated, in a good way, and despite being ported, faster in the low end. I'd advise hearing both first though.
My exact experience, I remember when I shot them out against SM9 and quested 3110 years ago..Something, for lack of a better term, boring. Eh, "conservative" is a better word. Even though speakers you mix on should just tell you what's up and nothing more, but still.
Old 13th March 2019
Gear Maniac

Just giving this thread a bump. Thinking about upgrading to the HEDDs, and I would love any additional feedback that you guys may have from real world experience. Unfortunately in the US, there are virtually no dealers, so hearing in person before purchase is pretty difficult.
Old 14th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
So I do have narrow my choice to the Neumann KH310A or the Hedd type 20.

I am really hesitating between those two models.

I mainly produce EDM and dance music.

Which of those two models is the best ? Which one has the best translation ?

Thank you for sharing your experience?

Regards

Sergio
More feedback please !!! I can't make the choice between those two speakers?
Which one is the best for mixing and having better translation?
Help needed

Cheers

Sergio
Old 14th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
More feedback please !!! I can't make the choice between those two speakers?
Which one is the best for mixing and having better translation?
Help needed

Cheers

Sergio
I compared both when I was in the market for a 3-way speaker and got the Type-20 because it's more dynamic and open sound compared to the KH310. And that's a preference.

Quality wise both are top-notch and you won't go wrong with either, to be honest.
Old 14th March 2019
Lives for gear
HEDD Type 20 is a no-brainer if you have an upper limit of $4000-$5000 to spend. You will be happy.

However, I can certainly promise you that Gearslutz forum posts will not help you pick the right monitor for your own personal needs, at the end of the day.

I've met people who talked down on monitor XYZ they own, and then go to their "studios" to find it's essentially a shoebox with huge monitors, and sad excuses for "treatment." Those same people likely end up on these forums giving feedback based on their "personal experiences."

Many people are simply in denial about the reality of acoustics and how it correlates to proper monitoring choices. Everyone wants the biggest and "best" monitor, but your space is the biggest variable in the equation, not the monitor.

A monitor with a spec of 45hz @ +/- 3db may translate low end WAY better in a smaller room than a monitor that hits 35hz @ +/- 3db, because that smaller room may enhance the lower frequencies below that 3db roll off point in a workable way on the 45hz pair, but have tons of translation and masking issues when it comes to the 35hz pair.

These are the things that get said in these forums time and time again though, and I understand the only way they typically land is through experience.
Old 14th March 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnBoy View Post
HEDD Type 20 is a no-brainer if you have an upper limit of $4000-$5000 to spend. You will be happy.

However, I can certainly promise you that Gearslutz forum posts will not help you pick the right monitor for your own personal needs, at the end of the day.

I've met people who talked down on monitor XYZ they own, and then go to their "studios" to find it's essentially a shoebox with huge monitors, and sad excuses for "treatment." Those same people likely end up on these forums giving feedback based on their "personal experiences."

Many people are simply in denial about the reality of acoustics and how it correlates to proper monitoring choices. Everyone wants the biggest and "best" monitor, but your space is the biggest variable in the equation, not the monitor.

A monitor with a spec of 45hz @ +/- 3db may translate low end WAY better in a smaller room than a monitor that hits 35hz @ +/- 3db, because that smaller room may enhance the lower frequencies below that 3db roll off point in a workable way on the 45hz pair, but have tons of translation and masking issues when it comes to the 35hz pair.

These are the things that get said in these forums time and time again though, and I understand the only way they typically land is through experience.
Excellent point. Unfortunately, there are virtually no distributors in the USA for HEDD, so I guess we'll just have to take all of the random input from people who have first hand experience and try to average it out
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search