The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Hedd Type 20 Studio Monitors
Old 14th March 2019
Here for the gear
If there is no distributor in the US for HEDD, I think you have your answer! If and when something goes wrong there is no one to support you.
Old 15th March 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjhuber View Post
Excellent point. Unfortunately, there are virtually no distributors in the USA for HEDD, so I guess we'll just have to take all of the random input from people who have first hand experience and try to average it out
RAD Distribution

Give them a ring and see what they can do for you.
Old 15th March 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by rincewind View Post
If there is no distributor in the US for HEDD, I think you have your answer! If and when something goes wrong there is no one to support you.
RAD Distribution
Old 15th March 2019
Lives for gear
Alto music brooklyn is a the distributor for HEDD. I got mine from them talk to Dan.
Old 15th March 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by sergioelectro View Post
More feedback please !!! I can't make the choice between those two speakers?
Which one is the best for mixing and having better translation?
Help needed
Cheers
Sergio
Hi Sergio,

I notice that my preference about monitor speakers is much about the tweeter.
I used to mix on Westlakes, KRK, Genelecs.
Over the past years I worked with ADAM and since that I started to love this kind of ART-Tweeter.
Most of the standard Dome Tweeters I find to "focused" now.
Specially with Genelecs but I also found that, when I recently listened to KH310s.

I know some people have the opposite experience - they dont like the ART-Tweeters at all ... so that might be something to consider in your decision.

Did you listen to any ribbon-style tweeters so far?
Old 15th March 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Albazy View Post
I compared both when I was in the market for a 3-way speaker and got the Type-20 because it's more dynamic and open sound compared to the KH310. And that's a preference.

Quality wise both are top-notch and you won't go wrong with either, to be honest.
what is more loud and what goes more down on low freq?
also, how can you describe mid frequencies representation-detail difference?
AND, are you using linearizer in mastering? if yes, is annoying to use in the workflow? it load the cpu? and

thanx
Old 18th March 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnBoy View Post

The KH310 sounds very conservative to me. Dry-ish highs, warm-ish mids, not overly transient forward in the lows. They are flat in every sense of the word. Felt like they just didn't tell me much, like trying to mix on them would be like the Socratic method of mixing. Me: "Is that what I want to do?" KH310: "I don't know, IS it??"
Brilliant and hilarious description of the 310. I struggled with the K&H o300 for years before giving up for exactly this reason, and I think they were the better sounding between the 300 and the 310.

Only trouble with the LYD 48 is it's a Dynaudio. My feeling is that Dynaudio never did learn how to make crossovers. I've heard other manufacturers do good things with Dynaudio drivers, but never Dynaudio themselves, strangely.
Old 18th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Dawkins View Post
Brilliant and hilarious description of the 310. I struggled with the K&H o300 for years before giving up for exactly this reason, and I think they were the better sounding between the 300 and the 310.

Only trouble with the LYD 48 is it's a Dynaudio. My feeling is that Dynaudio never did learn how to make crossovers. I've heard other manufacturers do good things with Dynaudio drivers, but never Dynaudio themselves, strangely.
Hello,

Does it mean that you also do not trust the KH310A ?

Regards

Sergio
Old 18th March 2019
I know I am in the minority on this, but I found translation difficult from the o300 and although I have not had the opportunity for a side by side comparison between the 310 and the o300, the 310 that I heard (in a multi way comparison between them and a number of other monitors including Eves, KS Digital and others) did sound similar to the o300 generally on recordings with which I am familiar. The leading characteristic to me of both these is tonal accuracy through the midrange covered by the 3" dome. It was in the lower mids and bass that I had difficulty in making judgements that translated.
also, finally, I had to admit that they bored me.

You should try to get to compare the 310 and Hedd side by side if you can, or at least get a listen.

If I had to choose blind, at this stage I would take a chance on Hedd.
Old 18th March 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Dawkins View Post
If I had to choose blind, at this stage I would take a chance on Hedd.
Exactly what I did...they’ll be here Friday!

(Fingers crossed)
Old 23rd March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjhuber View Post
Exactly what I did...they’ll be here Friday!

(Fingers crossed)
hello,

So did you receive your Hedd type 20?
How does it sound?
Sergio
Old 23rd March 2019
Lives for gear

What a dilemma, I can't decide between choosing the Neumann kh310A and the Hedd Audio type 20, and I find no shop here in France that sells both to compare them !!

Your experience is kindly needed.

Thanks

Cheers

Sergio
Old 24th March 2019
I did not directly compare them...

But I had the HEDD Type 20 here for a week
and I have listened to KH310 a few times - compared to Adams.

I think the HEDD has some points in advantage.
Its a more modern Monitor, build to compete with KH310...
It has the Lineariser Option - which I find important.
It has the "Ribbon Style" Tweeter - which I like.

Last time I listened to the KH310 I found the Trebles a bit focused/hard
(compared to the ADAM S3X-V).

Compared with my S3X-V the HEDD gives a lil more low mids - which might help to avoid muddy mixes.

But my S3X-V gives a lil more low end.
They sound "bigger", which they are...
With the "lineariser" the HEDD sounds very accurate in the mids.
Close miced vocals really jump out "into your face" on these

Without the Lineariser I found the HEDD more veiled and to strong in the low mids.
Unfortunately I couldn't make the "virtual cable -> Lineariser" work without crackles in stand-alone mode. Spotify, youtube etc..

So you might test the lineariser before you buy the HEDD.
You can check the handling with the plugin (if the Delay is bothering you)
and you can check stand alone mode.

Why dont you order both Monitors in some big EU shop? Than you can try them at home and keep the pair that you like most.
Old 24th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tremolux View Post
I did not directly compare them...

But I had the HEDD Type 20 here for a week
and I have listened to KH310 a few times - compared to Adams.

I think the HEDD has some points in advantage.
Its a more modern Monitor, build to compete with KH310...
It has the Lineariser Option - which I find important.
It has the "Ribbon Style" Tweeter - which I like.

Last time I listened to the KH310 I found the Trebles a bit focused/hard
(compared to the ADAM S3X-V).

Compared with my S3X-V the HEDD gives a lil more low mids - which might help to avoid muddy mixes.

But my S3X-V gives a lil more low end.
They sound "bigger", which they are...
With the "lineariser" the HEDD sounds very accurate in the mids.
Close miced vocals really jump out "into your face" on these

Without the Lineariser I found the HEDD more veiled and to strong in the low mids.
Unfortunately I couldn't make the "virtual cable -> Lineariser" work without crackles in stand-alone mode. Spotify, youtube etc..

So you might test the lineariser before you buy the HEDD.
You can check the handling with the plugin (if the Delay is bothering you)
and you can check stand alone mode.

Why dont you order both Monitors in some big EU shop? Than you can try them at home and keep the pair that you like most.
And so what did you think finally of the kh310A?

Thanks

Sergio
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

monitors like kh310 make you pick all the right sounds from the very beginning, so you don’t have to do much in the mixing process. People forget that aspect of monitors. a good monitor will help you early on in the creative process not just the mixing stage. The Socratic mix analogy is funny but I really believe that’s called overthinking... I demo’d them last year, and I remember liking them. A lot of people say they are mellow, but I found them very fast, almost too fast for me at times
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search