The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Neve 1073 dpa sounds muddy Other Modular Audio Processors
Old 21st May 2018
Gear Head
Neve 1073 dpa sounds muddy

Hi, so I'm currently tracking vocals through U87aii and Neve 1073 DPA through my Apogee duet and my vocals sound extremely muddy. I'm gonna attach my raw vocals. Comparing other raw shootouts using the 1073, they sound completely different to mine. Any idea why? This is making mixing very tough. Thanks
Attached Files

NEVE DRY.wav (7.57 MB, 1126 views)

Old 22nd May 2018
Lives for gear

Try turning up the output trim and down the preamp. You might be getting too much saturation. Could be proximity effect too.
Old 22nd May 2018
Lives for gear

Did you heavily gate the vocals? There's obviously some processing going on that probably is the real source of your issues.
Old 23rd May 2018
Gear Head
hi thanks for your replies, should have told you the settings, i've just lent it out for a week, so when i get it back i'll have another go and let you know the settings, coz im not sure exactly what my settings are, i think it was 30 on the mic line, lo switch enabled, trim on -4, not 100% sure but something like that. thanks
Old 23rd May 2018
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by thismercifulfate View Post
Did you heavily gate the vocals? There's obviously some processing going on that probably is the real source of your issues.
on the plug ins yes i used a gater, so you think it would be fine if i reduced it?
Old 23rd May 2018
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanBSC View Post
Try turning up the output trim and down the preamp. You might be getting too much saturation. Could be proximity effect too.
i will try this thank u
Old 23rd May 2018
Lives for gear

Having a hot output mic like the u87ai doesn’t help. Try and get hold of an older u87 or use an in-line pad. Higher output mics can overly-saturate the input transformer...
Old 23rd May 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by susus123 View Post
on the plug ins yes i used a gater, so you think it would be fine if i reduced it?
Definitely
Old 24th May 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by susus123 View Post
Hi, so I'm currently tracking vocals through U87aii and Neve 1073 DPA through my Apogee duet and my vocals sound extremely muddy. I'm gonna attach my raw vocals. Comparing other raw shootouts using the 1073, they sound completely different to mine. Any idea why? This is making mixing very tough. Thanks
Why did you stop singing though your voice is beautiful can we hear the full version
Old 24th May 2018
Lots of proximity effect on this clip. Try backing up a bit.
Old 24th May 2018
Gear Nut

Ditto on backing away from the mic.
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search