The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Eventide H8000 vs H9000 Reverb/Delay Processors (HW)
Old 6 days ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamIEcho View Post
9. No new algorithms/presets -just a repackaging of other talented designer's work (of course, this is planned to change, but I'll wait).
Your analysis of the current situation with the H9000 is excellent. The only slight correction is that the 1.1 update did bring the new Instant Phaser, Flanger, and SP2016 algorithms.

For my H9000, I added the Dante and MADI cards so the routing issues are lessened, but you made a fair point there. Can't route the output of one FX Chain to the input of another currently. But you can create some crazy setups within a single FX Chain - much more than what a single H8000 could do.

I can see the arguments for sticking with the H8000s if you already have them. I didn't, so I jumped directly to the H9000 and expect things to improve over time. So far, so good.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
8. Many hardware revisions in a short time since it's release
I'd expect software revisions, but what has been changed on the hardware side?

Quote:
I could have a brand new, full-featured one for 4750, but am still opting out at this point.
It's obvious you have some kind of a connection to Eventide so seeing the cost price quoted makes me feel like not dropping the $7k for one when you see how much less it is at cost.

I've had money set aside for an H9000 but I've also had my eye on a pair of the mastering pultecs as well. I think I'll just go for those, instead.
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborgssc View Post
Your analysis of the current situation with the H9000 is excellent. The only slight correction is that the 1.1 update did bring the new Instant Phaser, Flanger, and SP2016 algorithms.

For my H9000, I added the Dante and MADI cards so the routing issues are lessened, but you made a fair point there. Can't route the output of one FX Chain to the input of another currently. But you can create some crazy setups within a single FX Chain - much more than what a single H8000 could do.

I can see the arguments for sticking with the H8000s if you already have them. I didn't, so I jumped directly to the H9000 and expect things to improve over time. So far, so good.
Thank you.

Actually, as stated, it's in my best interest if the H9000 would blow the H8000FW out of the water, and I'd love to see that day.
Unfortunately, that day is *not* today, particularly where sonics are concerned.

On principle, it seems that in it's current state, the H9000 should've been offered to tried-and-true industry professionals at a significantly discounted rate, in exchange for feedback, and assistance in development. Basically, the way it's structured now, people are paying full retail to be beta testers.

In plain language, it's difficult not to see this is an early-adopter's "beta" release, somewhat marketed and (most importantly) priced as a full, prime-time premier.

That being said...
Your decision to purchase an H9000, not having had H8000s will definitely step things up for you, as this device is obviously not a doorstop by any stretch. Had you sold your H8000s for an H9000, the upgrade wouldn't be as clear as 7k should make it.

"oldgearguy" also has a point, however. At a certain point, being able to have less stuff and get more mixes completed without fussing around too much is essentially it's own form of currency. If he has a tactile and aesthetic connection with the H9000, and it's getting things done for him in a way his double-H8000FW and Eve/Net did (or better), that's worth celebrating. I don't see someone listening to the end product (with a myriad of other things to consider) and pinpointing the use of an H9000 over an H8000FW.

What also needs to be understood at the fundamental level, importance of the analog stage in a processor besides the math that takes place after it. This point was both articulated and driven home here on this forum by Italo, where he compared signal processed through a PCM-81, versus the same signal converted A to D via the Lexicon 300 on the front end.

I have both machines here and was able to re-conducted the test myself yielding the same outcome:
Going through the frond-end of the 300, and passing the audio post-A/D to the PCM via AES/EBU is "bigger"/greater than going through the PCM's A/D alone.

Listen to "Breathing Canyon" on the H3000, and then listen to it on the H8000FW... Same math, different analog stage, different outcome.

H3000 = character for days
H8000FW = clean, big, and open expression of the same algorithm

Problem with the 9000 is that the analog stage is *gutted*, so it's not about how it's analog gain stage sounds, as they've simplified that debate immensely by removing it...
There's only the math, bringing you dangerously close to plug-in territory. This is fine if you are into plug-ins, but once again, not, in my estimation, a "7k" type of "fine".

Having the ability to use the preamps to push on the effects is a nice touch in a variety of situations. For guitarists, they could go DI on the H8000FW, where here, they are directed to purchase a separate DI after spending 7k on this machine. Oh, and in case they were fans of the "Custom Scales" bit, they are also expected to pretend those didn't exist as well, because porting that over was just, "too much for too little" at the end of the day, where the administrators were concerned. Sorry if there's a bit of spice on that last statement, I am trying to keep this post in "black and white".

The H8000FW has a great front-end, whereas the H9000 requires one. At this point, you've got a -10/+4 option on the menu.
My Boss SE-70s have similar switches on the back.

H8000FWs are "anything-to-anything", where routing is concerned.
Here, you've already added on 2 cards, on top of the base price (of course MADI/Dante etc., are not options on the H8k).

As far as new algorithms, yes, I know they are forthcoming, and was aware of the 1.1 release.
However, this essentially supports my initial claim, as the new algorithms are the "Instant Phaser/Flanger" and "SP2016".

That's like getting a new president, and it's just Regan's taxidermied body, wheeled out on a, "Silence of the Lambs" inspired podium with a speaker in his chest that plays his "greatest hits". Sure, he's can now stay put as we try to hit a mini-golf ball into his mouth (in v.1, he would've moved, obviously, owing to his superior "analog stage"), but there's nothing essentially "new" about the message, nor much at all *practical* about spending time whacking golf balls at him. You can hit the ball into the clown's mouth at the end of mini-golf courses in any state already, without going through the above desecration of an ex-president's corpse, no-less the expenditure of time and money that such an undertaking necessitates.

I do hope that this will all be behind us in the relatively near future, and the H9000 will be the H8000FW's superior on all fronts, eradicating the need for whatever it is I just wrote to essentially close this response. I can only give you information, and share my perspective.

Whatever you use, use it well and make great things.
Companies won't simplify our lives -we need to do that ourselves.

Information is only that... It becomes knowledge when applied through personal experience.
That experience, over time, with practice becomes wisdom.

With wisdom, we understand, and see the simplicity in all things.

I'm working on it, just like everyone else here.

-Adam.

Last edited by AdamIEcho; 3 days ago at 03:19 PM.. Reason: Better articulation of a point.
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionian View Post
I'd expect software revisions, but what has been changed on the hardware side?

It's obvious you have some kind of a connection to Eventide so seeing the cost price quoted makes me feel like not dropping the $7k for one when you see how much less it is at cost.

I've had money set aside for an H9000 but I've also had my eye on a pair of the mastering pultecs as well. I think I'll just go for those, instead.
At the end of last year, the hardware was already on Revision "G".

I do not want to speak to those specifics, but the general information was up on the Eventide forum.

As far as connection with the company, I'd like to leave that off the table, and avoid having that add or detract from what I'm sharing here. I'm just here to discuss some facts, while remaining both objective about certain current realities, and at the same time, being supportive of the 9000's development.

It's success will be our success, and maybe seeing this conversation will give the right people the bug to fortify the platform.

Mean-time, give Steve your money, and he will give you a set of Mastering EQs from another dimension.
His head is in a good place, and he deserves every bit of success he's got with Pulse.

I will do the same, once I've raised enough to do so.

Speaking of which, it was the mention of the H8000FW I have listed on Reverb that got me into this discussion in the first place...
Anyone here who may purchase it, has my thanks for bringing me a step closer to the acquisition of an EQM-1S3 pair.

To wrap up for now, let me just say I hope my presence here has been an asset to the forum, as the forum has been an asset to my work.
I've been reading posts here for years, and have learned a great deal using the information presented to kick-start my own research into many items of interest.
Some of the people on this very thread have really brought a lot of good things to the table over time.

So, a general thanks to all -keep at the process of creation; it's a wonderful thing.

I'll keep an eye on this thread, and do my best to come in and out as time allows.

-Adam.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Nut

Eventide has stated on their own forum that customers were shipped an “F” or “G” revision. Revision “A” to “E” referred to their own internal pre-release prototypes.

The differences between “F” and “G” are minor and completely indistinguishable to the end customer. Supposedly the changes are more technician friendly.

Board revisions happen all the time, nothing untoward.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Head

Quote:
To wrap up for now, let me just say I hope my presence here has been an asset to the forum, as the forum has been an asset to my work.
I definitely appreciate it. This forum is at its best when people bring experience, facts and informed opinion. You're creating a model for this and I hope people take notice.

As for the question about price - the H9000 can be had much, much lower than $7K. Just ask around at your favorite retailers. No connection to Eventide is necessary to get better pricing.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

i can see that/why some people who have a h8000 (or several units) hesitate a bit to move to the h9000: for me (owner of two h3500's and an orville), the step seems a bit more 'logical' - actually, the madi interface alone makes it worth upgrading! i don't long for additional presets, except maybe for multichannel rooms/reverbs, preferably up to 7.1.4 (which i doubt however there will ever be any...)
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search