The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
DDA CS3-24. or Midas Venice 320 Digital Converters
Old 20th May 2018
Lives for gear

DDA CS3-24. or Midas Venice 320

Would the DDA mixing console sound a whole lot better than a Midas Venice 320?
Old 20th May 2018
Lives for gear

As a DDA "Interface" and Venice F32 owner.... Well my DDA is in my garage being kept only as a spare

Last edited by jude; 20th May 2018 at 09:05 AM.. Reason: Added desk models.
Old 20th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jude View Post
As a DDA "Interface" and Venice F32 owner.... Well my DDA is in my garage being kept only as a spare
Thanks, that is good to hear. Do you hear a noticeable difference summing through the Midas or just using it as an interface?
Old 20th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jude View Post
can easily imagine so and for good reason - but the op was asking about the 320: the f32 and u32 are somewhat above the 320 imo.

to the op: forget analog summing (unless you have hi quality adda: the loss in conversion may outweight the gain in analog summing...)
Old 20th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
can easily imagine so and for good reason - but the op was asking about the 320: the f32 and u32 are somewhat above the 320 imo.

to the op: forget analog summing (unless you have hi quality adda: the loss in conversion may outweight the gain in analog summing...)
Thanks for the responses! I have an aurora 16 that I really like. I am sure I can buy an F32 and bypass it's converters. I wonder why the F32 could sound somewhat better than the 320 , I thought they were built with the same components. Maybe not? With the Aurora 16 converters do you think would be worth purchasing a Midas F32? One more question, what would be the best way to use my Aurora 16 with a Midas console when mixing? Just run analog outs of the Aurora to the line ins of Midas. Then Midas mix Bus left and right out to two channels of analog inputs on the Aurora to a stereo master track in Pro Tools?
Old 21st May 2018
Lives for gear

CS-3 is one of the cleanest DDA/Midas designs. It was designed very much as a live “church” board, to please the consultants, LCR pannning 3 band EQ with true parametric mids. The Modular CS3 is a better built board than any of the V series Midas as for best summing that’s a personal thing but the CS3 is much cheaper.
Old 22nd May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabler View Post
Thanks for the responses! I have an aurora 16 that I really like. I am sure I can buy an F32 and bypass it's converters. I wonder why the F32 could sound somewhat better than the 320 , I thought they were built with the same components. Maybe not? With the Aurora 16 converters do you think would be worth purchasing a Midas F32? One more question, what would be the best way to use my Aurora 16 with a Midas console when mixing? Just run analog outs of the Aurora to the line ins of Midas. Then Midas mix Bus left and right out to two channels of analog inputs on the Aurora to a stereo master track in Pro Tools?
the f32 got better eq and more auxes, actually more of anything than the 320 (which was okay but let me down just a little bit too often while i never had any issues with the u32 and f32).

i'm actually the wrong guy to talk to regarding analog summing: frankly, i think it's more of a myth than anything else... (i have a LARGE analog mixer and i NEVER use it just for the sake of summing: i either mix on it or stay DIGITAL all the time - by means of a daw and a digital desk, so digital summing!). imo analog summing messes up the submixes, sometimes in a pleasant way though...

i'd rather spend money on a nice digital mojo box such as the crane song hedd 192 and insert it digitally into your setup.

if not, the signal path you described is correct (but check for max. analog i/o levels before clipping).
Old 22nd May 2018
Lives for gear

One drawback of the F32 compared to the 320 is the F32 has fan that makes some noise, which may or may not be an issue for you depending on your set up. F32 has a more flexible EQ and better studio routing.
Old 22nd May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentA View Post
One drawback of the F32 compared to the 320 is the F32 has fan that makes some noise, which may or may not be an issue for you depending on your set up. F32 has a more flexible EQ and better studio routing.
Can anything be done about hearing the fan noise?
Old 22nd May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Can anything be done about hearing the fan noise?
I've heard of some people buying an external power supply and putting it in another room. I forget the model number of that power supply.
Old 23rd May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks, that is good to hear. Do you hear a noticeable difference summing through the Midas or just using it as an interface?
I usually mix OTB with it, using it for most of my EQing. To me (and it might just be because i do a bit of dub mixing) I find it much quicker to get a rough mix going on, then do any surgical mix work ITB.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search