The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Choosing high end monitors for Metal/Cinematic Studio Monitors
Old 20th May 2018
Here for the gear

Choosing high end monitors for Metal/Cinematic

I'm preparing to invest in some top of the line near fields for my home studio, I'm composing bass heavy music exclusively- metal, EDM, cinematic. My room is small, I really don't like using a sub so I would love to have monitors that had great low end. For reference, I think the Focal Alpha 65s have the kind of low end I'm looking for (maybe slightly less than perfect but around that amount). My room is mildly treated right now and I have a lot of acoustic treatment incoming to optimize it more (and will continue to do so until it's properly treated). I'm mixing a lot of it right now and want to eventually be mixing all of it, so I want monitors that are not limiting in respects of either tracking/writing or mixing. However, I'll probably never be mixing a rock band that all played in the same room with a lot of mojo, all of these gigs are pretty "sound design" over traditional mixing. Optimally I would like to spend less than 6000 USD. The monitors recommended to me by colleagues and peers are Amphion One18s, PMC twotwo 6, Barefoot Footprints and MM45. Monitors I'm considering based on my own research and some influential producers I like are Genelec 8050s, Adam S2V, Focal Twin 6 BE. I understand that I have to listen to these myself to make the final decision, and I'll be able to do so with most of these, just want to accumulate as much user experience as possible before making the decision at a shop.

From the culmination of reviews I've read, it seems that the Barefoot MM45 is the top contender, right next to the Amphion One18. The crucial downside of the Amphions are that they will probably not provide enough low end for extreme bass heavy music. Sounds like the MM45s will excel in the low end, the footprints maybe even more so, but the MM45s probably surpass the footprints in the other frequencies just based on reviews and parts. The Barefoots are the most expensive in the listed monitors though, and if I could get within 5% of their quality with something like the 8050s that would obviously be great.

What do people think considering all that?
Old 20th May 2018
Gear Maniac

Try to demo Unity Audio Rocks / Super Rocks / Boulders.

Extremely detailed monitors and rarely get a mention like the more common brands.
Old 21st May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinpraxia View Post
I'm preparing to invest in some top of the line near fields for my home studio, I'm composing bass heavy music exclusively- metal, EDM, cinematic. My room is small, I really don't like using a sub so I would love to have monitors that had great low end. For reference, I think the Focal Alpha 65s have the kind of low end I'm looking for (maybe slightly less than perfect but around that amount). My room is mildly treated right now and I have a lot of acoustic treatment incoming to optimize it more (and will continue to do so until it's properly treated). I'm mixing a lot of it right now and want to eventually be mixing all of it, so I want monitors that are not limiting in respects of either tracking/writing or mixing. However, I'll probably never be mixing a rock band that all played in the same room with a lot of mojo, all of these gigs are pretty "sound design" over traditional mixing. Optimally I would like to spend less than 6000 USD. The monitors recommended to me by colleagues and peers are Amphion One18s, PMC twotwo 6, Barefoot Footprints and MM45. Monitors I'm considering based on my own research and some influential producers I like are Genelec 8050s, Adam S2V, Focal Twin 6 BE. I understand that I have to listen to these myself to make the final decision, and I'll be able to do so with most of these, just want to accumulate as much user experience as possible before making the decision at a shop.

From the culmination of reviews I've read, it seems that the Barefoot MM45 is the top contender, right next to the Amphion One18. The crucial downside of the Amphions are that they will probably not provide enough low end for extreme bass heavy music. Sounds like the MM45s will excel in the low end, the footprints maybe even more so, but the MM45s probably surpass the footprints in the other frequencies just based on reviews and parts. The Barefoots are the most expensive in the listed monitors though, and if I could get within 5% of their quality with something like the 8050s that would obviously be great.

What do people think considering all that?
I'd never invest 6k on monitors I've never heard, if it was me I'd at least go to other studios/places where I can listen to the candidates.

Also remember that monitors are quite room dependent (and taste dependent, but that's a different story).. so the best case scenario would be to test them in your treated control room, and maybe mix something on them.

With all that said 6k could get you:

A used pair of ATC scm25 (really great if you ask me) or a new pair of ATC scm20 with a sub.

A pair of Genelec 8341, which also have their correction software which might come handy.

For less than 6k you could get the Neumann KH310, which is a fine monitor.

For more than 6k, ATC scm45 or ATC scm110 or the Neumann KH420 could be some nice contenders, but you need a control room able to accomodate these.

Good luck with you search!

Cheu
Old 21st May 2018
Lives for gear

if you're into bass heavy music, i think there is no way around a sub...

spend as much as you can on room treatment and you can get quite good results, even with sub in a small room. can recommend neumann kh series (for both mains and sub).
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search