The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Thinking of buying a Roland Space Echo RE-201. Advice? Reverb/Delay Processors (HW)
Old 19th May 2018
Gear Nut

Thinking of buying a Roland Space Echo RE-201. Advice?

Hi everyone.

So I have had a Vermona Retroverb Lancet for some time, but I'm just not in love with the sound of the spring. I like everything else it does. I like the experimental nature of it, but I can use other filters within my modular gear before I send to a verb if I want to do this. It just sounds a bit dark and muddy for my liking and I usually love all things dark, I just don't often get the sounds I like out of it.

I looked at other options. The Vermona VSR-3 sounds nice and more full, as does the DSR-3 and retrube verb. Although the latter two have not many videos online to judge so not sure how versatile.

I like the dub-y sound you can get from spring verbs, and whilst some of the super high end springs sound amazing and clear, I'd miss that rustic sound (i.e. I doubt the DSR-3 is ideal for this).

From what I've heard the space echo can do a bit of both, dub kinda sounds for snares, and a nice shimmer verb. Plus it has the tape echo. I've alway wanted a tape echo too. It sounds like it can do clean simple settings too, but also nice for some nice experimentation.

I remember hearing one years ago at a friend of mine's house and it sounded great.

I'm thinking of selling the retroverb and a few other things to fund it. So I have a few questions.

In your opinion is the Space Echo the right verb for me based on what I've said above?

What kind of price should I expect to pay for one?

Are they really hard to maintain? Is replacing parts expensive/difficult?

And how do I make sure it's going to be in good condition when I buy it. I'm not overly experienced with buying second hand gear. I recently bought some studio monitors second hand and they arrived damage (I did get a refund but I really don't want the hassle).

thanks in advance
Old 19th May 2018
Gear Nut

Also. Most demos seem to have a hell of a lot of noise, but often even before the things turned on so might just be carelessness in the recording. A little noise I can accept.
Old 19th May 2018
Here for the gear

Do it! they are truly awesome and have a pretty varied colour palette from clean delay and spring to mad distorted swirling noise and dubby springs. Id recommend getting one close by if you can, so you could go and test it. If thats not available there are always a bunch from Japan floating about. The Echo fix guy in Aus is your man for parts and spare tapes. Things to check would be corrosion of the screws+fittings, that the pots and switches aren't too scratchy so you can make changes as you print FX. Probably much overall favourite piece of gear!
Old 20th May 2018
Gear Maniac

I would definitely say get one and highly recommend Soundgas. They always have a good stock of them and impeccably serviced.
Old 20th May 2018
RTG
Gear Maniac

Outer space by AudioThing satisfies me in this regard.
Old 22nd May 2018
Lives for gear
space echos are amazingly cool. you can get amazing percussive feedback out of it. and it sounds so warm, as warm as it gets. however, they break very often, and repairs can total the machine. I still own a korg stage echo ,and i love it, but i love my moogerfooger BBD delay just as much. The moog has so many control options that it ends up being far more deep than any other delay. I gt the coolest and i mean the coolest sounds out of it using CV. Like otherworldly unique beautiful choruses and envelope control and just pure analog goodness that nothing digital will ever touch.

If you add a low pass filter, you can just play a single note, like a drone through it and get endless variation and creativity. i even am able to play the delay with a midi keyboard or sequence it.
Old 26th May 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by unfiltered420 View Post
space echos are amazingly cool. you can get amazing percussive feedback out of it. and it sounds so warm, as warm as it gets. however, they break very often, and repairs can total the machine. I still own a korg stage echo ,and i love it, but i love my moogerfooger BBD delay just as much. The moog has so many control options that it ends up being far more deep than any other delay. I gt the coolest and i mean the coolest sounds out of it using CV. Like otherworldly unique beautiful choruses and envelope control and just pure analog goodness that nothing digital will ever touch.

If you add a low pass filter, you can just play a single note, like a drone through it and get endless variation and creativity. i even am able to play the delay with a midi keyboard or sequence it.
I actually have a MF-104m. It's a great thing :D Agreed
Old 26th May 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTG View Post
Thanks, but I'm really an analogue guy (although I do have digital stuff too and they have their place, but when I want something analogue, nothing will convince me otherwise, haha).
Old 26th May 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rami Hashash View Post
I would definitely say get one and highly recommend Soundgas. They always have a good stock of them and impeccably serviced.
thanks. I'll keep an eye on this...
Old 26th May 2018
RTG
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by raccoonboy View Post
Thanks, but I'm really an analogue guy (although I do have digital stuff too and they have their place, but when I want something analogue, nothing will convince me otherwise, haha).
Fair enough. I have a gold Klemt Echolette I have been meaning to use again, but I honestly really enjoy the plugin. Especially after the upgrade a few days ago. (As much as it sounds like it, I honestly have no relationship with the company.)
Old 26th May 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Fair enough. I have a gold Klemt Echolette I have been meaning to use again, but I honestly really enjoy the plugin. Especially after the upgrade a few days ago. (As much as it sounds like it, I honestly have no relationship with the company.)
Nice.. I've heard good things about the Echolette. It's not just the analogue sound I like, I like things i can touch. Especially if they have old school knobs and switches, haha.
Old 27th May 2018
Gear Addict
Quote:
I gave it ago several times when needed a tape delay sound, but always ended up removing it from the chain. Something feels off about this plugin. I find Dub Machines Magnetic to be the best for this type of sound.
Old 27th May 2018
Lives for gear

I’d try to buy one in person if possible, especially considering the price nowdays.

It’s not a bad idea to be able to evaluate the how well the unit’s tape system is doing... how it literally sounds sonically, how the heads look, the pinch roller, etc. How much clarity you’re getting with the echo repeats... does it sound overly garbled or just tapey, for example.

I think the one thing that still hasn’t been well emulated is the effect of using the “wrong” inputs...patching in guitar to the mic input, for example. The saturation of the front end hasn’t been well captured by any plugin maker.

That said, Audio Thing’s plugin is pretty good. I do tend to use it more than my 201 nowdays. It does a good job of the pedestrian aspects of the unit. However, you don’t get that thing where you faintly hear something that happened a half hour ago go back across the play heads, like a ghost in the machine.
Old 27th May 2018
Lives for gear

I find interesting that some people use BBDs as substitution for tape echos. To me there are not many similarities. BBDs are very band limited at the top, there is no drift, the distortion is very different, breakup in the feedback is very different. I mean good digital emulations of tape echos sound more like tape echos than BBDs. Maybe for some the taste is more in favor of BBDs, that I can get. But replacing for example re201 with mf104 is like replacing your dog with a cat.

My bbds are mostly staying unused, while I reach for the real tape echoes as much as possible. To me owning Re201 makes a lot of sense... and unlike RE501s and 301 they are still reasonably priced.

BTW modulations on MF104m are great of course.
Old 27th May 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by matucha View Post
I find interesting that some people use BBDs as substitution for tape echos. To me there are not many similarities. BBDs are very band limited at the top, there is no drift, the distortion is very different, breakup in the feedback is very different. I mean good digital emulations of tape echos sound more like tape echos than BBDs. Maybe for some the taste is more in favor of BBDs, that I can get. But replacing for example re201 with mf104 is like replacing your dog with a cat.

My bbds are mostly staying unused, while I reach for the real tape echoes as much as possible. To me owning Re201 makes a lot of sense... and unlike RE501s and 301 they are still reasonably priced.

BTW modulations on MF104m are great of course.
Yes. Definitely not a substitute. It's like replacing a plate with a spring.. Speaking of which. I'm half tempted to try building my own plate, (I'm **** at making things). I wonder how good I could get it to sound if I took the time to do it.
Old 27th May 2018
Lives for gear

As far as I know EMT140 was built by very clever guys in white coats, doing a lot of calculations to make it right. You won't build EMT140, but it might be fun . You'll learn a thing or two in the process and that's never a bad thing.

I wonder if using some nice contact mics instead of pickup would sound...
Old 27th May 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by raccoonboy View Post
Yes. Definitely not a substitute. It's like replacing a plate with a spring.. Speaking of which. I'm half tempted to try building my own plate, (I'm **** at making things). I wonder how good I could get it to sound if I took the time to do it.
Nah, a plate is so much better than a spring. BBD delays sound incredible, and can sound better with cv control. I love my stage korg echo and could not live without a tape delay for production, but for playing music/synths, i'd give up the tape delay before the moog.

And a plate is not too hard to make, many good free designs, but time consuming. i got something easier and actually better, a piano harp (soundboard and strings) i got for free on craigslist. It's sounds more like a hall reverb than a plate, extremely deep and musical. I actually tune all the strings to a scale and mic it with piezos and use a contact speaker. So it's also an amazing instrument with mallets, picks and friction mallets.
Old 28th May 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by unfiltered420 View Post
And a plate is not too hard to make, many good free designs, but time consuming. i got something easier and actually better, a piano harp (soundboard and strings) i got for free on craigslist. It's sounds more like a hall reverb than a plate, extremely deep and musical. I actually tune all the strings to a scale and mic it with piezos and use a contact speaker. So it's also an amazing instrument with mallets, picks and friction mallets.
That sounds amazing. Will have to try that one day. I really want a plate though for epic snares!
Old 28th May 2018
Gear Addict

They are great , but it might help to learn how to make your own tape loops.
Old 28th May 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by matucha View Post
But replacing for example re201 with mf104 is like replacing your dog with a cat.
huh?
electric toy / electric toy
fourlegged animal / fourlegged animal

Now replacing your dog with a re201, that'd be wrong.
Old 28th May 2018
Lives for gear

You're right and to make my case worse... both of them are mammals, wtf, what was I thinking
Old 28th May 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdd17 View Post
They are great , but it might help to learn how to make your own tape loops.
I have not been able to do this. The tape stock that i have seen recommended sounds like ass on the re-201 I have before it broke. Also you have to figure out how to lubricate the tape just right, and the lube can mess things up. if you have a proven recipe, let me know.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search