The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
StudioLive 16.4.2 vs Neve 5012 Dual-Channel Preamps
Old 17th May 2018
Here for the gear

StudioLive 16.4.2 vs Neve 5012

I'm currently recording using a Presonus StudioLive 16.4.2 as my interface. I'm considering adding one or two high-quality outboard preamps to my home studio as a final upgrade before recording my next project. I'll hopefully be finished treating my room with DIY acoustic panels and bass traps this week.

I'm planning on tracking vocals and acoustic guitars with my pair of Rode-NT1s, recording bass and electric guitars direct with the Two Notes Reload, using Superior Drummer as my kit and then having the project mixed and mastered by a pro studio.

Does anyone have experience recording with the Presonus' stock pres as well as external preamps? I'm considering purchasing a used Neve 5012 based on strong reviews, but would love to know what kind of appreciable differences this upgrade would make for my setup before shipping the tracks off to the next studio. I'm not able to demo the Neve preamp before purchasing, unfortunately.

Sorry for the long-winded first post. All help is appreciated!
Old 17th May 2018
just buy the 5012
Old 17th May 2018
Here for the gear

I like your style! Haha
Old 17th May 2018

Yeah the neve is great.

However I would consider different mics (my experience with the Rodes is that they are a bit harsh in the highs, quite a lot of sibilance), and use a real drummer.

Then again, I know nothing about your music, nor abilities.

But the Neve is great.

Matt
Old 18th May 2018
Here for the gear

Thanks for the reply Matt. I've heard similar things about the Rode NT1 being harsh in the highs, though I've always had good results on my voice and acoustic guitar. I preferred the Rode to a Neumann TLM-103 on my vocals at home. I don't have much experience with other condensers, but I had the chance to sing though either a u67 or u87 at a pro studio once which sounded great.

I'm recording singer-songwriter material which covers a variety of styles, but the instruments and production most closely resemble John Mayer and Jason Mraz for reference. I've been a musician and home studio recording engineer for 10 years.
Old 18th May 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by staley View Post
Thanks for the reply Matt. I've heard similar things about the Rode NT1 being harsh in the highs, though I've always had good results on my voice and acoustic guitar. I preferred the Rode to a Neumann TLM-103 on my vocals at home. I don't have much experience with other condensers, but I had the chance to sing though either a u67 or u87 at a pro studio once which sounded great.

I'm recording singer-songwriter material which covers a variety of styles, but the instruments and production most closely resemble John Mayer and Jason Mraz for reference. I've been a musician and home studio recording engineer for 10 years.
As a musician, you're going to prefer the sound of the Neve. On top of that, your mix will go to the mastering studio sounding more like a record. If you really want to kick it up a notch, buy a used Presonus ADL 600 tube preamp, record, and send the mix off to the mastering studio.
Old 18th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by staley View Post

Does anyone have experience recording with the Presonus' stock pres as well as external preamps?
Yes, I did it very often with Presonus, Allen + Heath, Yamaha and even more expensive consoles. For me it was always an improvement using good outboard pres on the main pair and/or solo microphones.

So whatever real good outboard pre you choose- you will like the improvement.
Old 23rd May 2018
Gear Maniac
Strictly regarding the preamps, I am assuming that you are owning a first generation console. I had one and I switched to my M32 console. The difference between them was drastic, my Midas console sounded about 10 times better then my original 16. 4. 2 console. I then added several external preamps, although not a 5012, and the sound was further improved on most sources (a few actually sounded better with the Midas pre's).

I would imagine based on my experience that it would be a near-certain improvement, even not hearing the 5012.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search