The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Time for a new vocal mic! Condenser Microphones
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Time for a new vocal mic!

Hello, I am a gearslut and have some money, so it must be spent. I have a Blackspade UM17R that carries most of the vocal duty weight around here. I occasionally use sm7b, 414xls, 214, or r84 for vocals, but would like another flavor within the tube mic category. I am considering the following (I generally buy used):

Blue Cactus
Lauten Oceanus
Tele AK47
AR51
M16
Lawson 47
Pearlman 47

I have a friend who has a pair of Mojave m300s that he’ll let me borrow anytime, so not interested in those. But, I am open to other suggestions... I mainly want some flavor different than the UM17R, simply for versatility’s sake... another tool in the box so to speak.

I understand that these are all good/great mics, and subjective opinions are welcome, but I really don’t want something that is too similar to the UM17R. So my focus is on this concern, if anyone has used and competed thes other mics to the Blackspade, your input would be most appreciated.

Thanks
Old 1 week ago
500 series nutjob

I love the Lawson mics hard to go wrong with one.
as for the Lauten Oceanus i cannot say much, BUT!

I recently got a Lauten Eden LT-386 to review, and it was something i placed a lot of thought on the matter before comitting to a review of the mic.
this is a very fine mic! i would say, do not over look the Lauten mics!
i like the mic so much i made a deal on it and it has been getting some use, alot of use.

Last edited by pan60; 6 days ago at 08:43 PM..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

It seems like you’re intetested in a 47 tube flavor mic. The Cathedral Pipes Notre Dame and Regrnsburg Dom are worthy contenders. I own the latter and I often choose it over a 1960 Neumann U47 tube mic at the main studio I work out of. It’s that good.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

I’m not sure the mics you listed offer a huge difference from the blackspade you already have. If i were you, i would save a bit more and get either a flea or a brauner. But that’s just me.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I have a UM17R (and a couple more UM17)...

I think if you got an AR51 with the edge terminated capsule (not the earlier k67 type), it would be a nice compliment, and land you in a vaguely C12/251ish zone. The AR51 circuit is pretty much a C12, the headbasket a bit more like a 251. It would be a nice yin/yang scenario with the UM17, and your R84 too for that matter.

I think that the 47 / Neumann-esque style mics listed will have quite a bit of overlap with your UM17. The UM17 is really directed in a 47 zone tone wise... it came out of Oliver Archut’s “alternative U47 circuit” originally.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Nut

Thanks for feedback. I was given the The impression that the um17r was a cross between a u47 and m49, maybe even more towards the 49...

My thought was that an old Cactus would give me a darker flavor, and the Oceanus would give me a brighter option. I really want a Lawson, but I’m afraid it will be too similar based on clips/discussions I have heard/read. Of course I would love to try them all but they’re not necessarily for my voice, and since I buy used it’s not really an option.

Has anyone any experience with the Luke Audio mic that comes with 3 capsules? Looks nice, all for $1000 seems like it couldnt possibly compete with the others on my list at that price point, especially when you consider it is distributed through retail channels. But, I’d love to hear otherwise.

Thanks
Old 4 days ago
Gear Addict

I own several of the mics listed namely the Tele AR51, AK47mk2, Mojave MA 200 and 300... In the past had tested the Lauten and Pearlman. I am indifferent to the Blue.
The AR51 is a great mic at any rate and one of my favorites. Open clear and versatile.
Recently I am toying with the Soyuz range and these are the bomb. My recommendation is check them out for a flavor not on your list.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NamelessUnknown View Post
Thanks for feedback. I was given the The impression that the um17r was a cross between a u47 and m49, maybe even more towards the 49.
Oliver had explained to me that the premise of the 47 and 49 circuits were related, but that the end sound wasn’t the same because of a variety of factors...the headbasket, the relation between the circuit and the transformer, etc.

The 49 however provides for external polar pattern switching.

So the idea was to take the commonalities, have the external polar pattern switching - which is part of the M49, and do the things that push it all into the 47 zone, with the transformer and headbasket type.

The UM17 has a certain low end proximity effect, and a slight high mid push that sounds much more like a 47 than 49.

Like I said, I have three, because I love it as a general purpose mic...and I have a M49 here to compare it to, and have had it by “47 clones” in the past. Great mics.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search