The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
C12 VR a good versatile tube microphone Condenser Microphones
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

C12 VR a good versatile tube microphone

I am putting a new studio together and what to buy one very nice tube mic. I can pick one up for close to 2,000 and return it if I do not like it. I thought I would check with you guys first. Is that a good price? Is it a good go to microphone 4 country, blues some classic rock. I will be adding more Mike of course just wondering if this would be a good choice for my most expensive Mike
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

If you are getting it at 2k, that is reasonable. Its a good mic. Can be a good all round tube mic, but if you are expecting it to sound like a Classic AKG C12, you will be supremely dissappointed. The C12 VR is what it is. A good mic on its own merits, but nothing like a Classic C12...
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKMK00 View Post
If you are getting it at 2k, that is reasonable. Its a good mic. Can be a good all round tube mic, but if you are expecting it to sound like a Classic AKG C12, you will be supremely dissappointed. The C12 VR is what it is. A good mic on its own merits, but nothing like a Classic C12...
thanks! Any other tube microphones you would recommend between 2 and 3000? I have a great River pre also need to get a nice compressor for tracking vocals and mix bus I am thinking about the API 2500. Any suggestions would be great, thanks again
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Don’t rush a mic purchase just cos you have cash to spend.

I’d save more and investigate different options like a gefell um57 around that price or save for a FET47 or FLEA variant. They’re truly great mics.

But by all means do try a C12VR.. but you might be better looking for a “The Tube” which I’m lead to believe is a little closer to the OG C12 but still not there in capturing that magic.

Api is a flexible comp but not one if use as a primary Vox comp.. I’d look at a 1176 variant like a STAM whichbuf you read the reviews seems like a very good all rounder and isnt that overly expensive
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

The C12VR is a below average sounding tube mic IMHO, and even at $2K I feel it's overpriced. These days you can get a lot of mic in the $2K-$3.5 range. There are many options out there so look around for bargains. There's no reason to just settle for any mic today, especially if you have not used that mic next to other mic's in it's price range.

I have a Horch Rm2J that can be found in the $3.5K range and it's absolutely magical sounding. You can pick up the Lawson L47MP/251 combo for $3K new, the Lauten Eden with 3 voice options for $3K new, there is a TLM 67 with U67 Max kit in the classifieds for $3.2K, and search Eday as there are a lot of other tube mic's that IMHO smoke the C12VR. I see M149's sell in the $2.5 range, I've seen several Manley Gold's sell in the $2.8-$3K range. I would take every mic I just listed over the C12VR anytime, lol.

Today the buyer has the power and so many options to choose from, so as Wiggy Neve Slut said shop around and take your time.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

C-12 VR is a great mic. In its own right! Like all mics you'll have to see if you like it in your own environment.
Just because it isn't a C-12 clone means absolutely nothing.
Various statements have been made that seem they were written without first hand knowledge.
The Tube & VR are very similar & one is not better than the other. They're basically a B-ULS & a TL-II with a tube.
The Horch is completely different. A great mic but it's almost like comparing a 47 w/ a 12.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

The VR is "The Tube" rebuild with modern components, but with the brighter capsula of the TLII/XLII lines.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Bock u99
Great all rounder.
Built to last.
Affordable.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by aremos View Post
Various statements have been made that seem they were written without first hand knowledge.
I've used 3 different C12VR's, 5 different "The Tube", and about 10 C12's over the years. IMHO the C12VR never won any shootout it was in and was always replaced by another mic in session. It is a below average tube mic in my opinion and very very very overpriced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aremos View Post
The Horch is completely different. A great mic but it's almost like comparing a 47 w/ a 12.
I was not comparing anything, I simply listed 5-6 other tube mic's in the $2K-$3.5K range, as per the OP's request. Also the Rm2J is more M49 sounding than U47.

If you love the C12VR, more power to ya, but I stand by my C12VR opinions based on experienced results.

As always to each their own.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

The only problem wit the C12VR is that they used "C12" in the name, and people compared it to a mic with which it has nothing in common, other than the tube and geometry.

It's a great tube mic, if you get it at around $2k. It's fantastic on certain vocalists, great on sax, upright and especially electric guitars. It's been the Mick Jagger vocal mic of choice for years. I used to have one, and some of my favorite sounding vocals were cut on it. It's not amazing on everything, but neither is a 251 or 47.

To say it's never won a shootout on anything is sort of silly. U67s usually don't win the shootout for me, but I would not hesitate to use them all over the place.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjblair View Post
To say it's never won a shootout on anything is sort of silly. U67s usually don't win the shootout for me, but I would not hesitate to use them all over the place.
Respectfully JJ, every single time the C12VR was put up another mic always beat it out for the task at hand, and many times it was not close. I've never had a vocalist where it was the best sounding on, but I never used it on Sax so YMMV, on cabinets we always had better options also. So in my experience C12VR's were overpriced and overrated.

Again, to each their own.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will The Weirdo View Post
Respectfully JJ, every single time the C12VR was put up another mic always beat it out for the task at hand, and many times it was not close. I've never had a vocalist where it was the best sounding on, but I never used it on Sax so YMMV, on cabinets we always had better options also. So in my experience C12VR's were overpriced and overrated.

Again, to each their own.
I think you missed my point. Like I said, if that's the criteria, I wouldn't use U67s. And vocals is a very narrow application, and taste dependent, as well as context dependent.

I don't think it's overpriced if you buy it around $2k. I certainly don't think it's overrated, as I've never seen anything except derision for the mic from people upset that it doesn't sound like a C12.

It's a very flexible mic, and I wonder if it would work on as many sources as the mics that won your vocal shootouts.

Hey, I traded mine for something, which goes to show that I don't think it's indispensable. But if I had a limited budget, and could get it around $2k, I would certainly keep one around.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search