The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Focal Shape 65 vs Shape Twin vs Solo6 BE
Old 3rd July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noctambulant View Post
Shapes have weird bass, a bit of an upper mid suckout, and treble issues. Decent mid mids. It’s a a very “esoteric hi-fi” sound but better than the awful CMS stuff.

One thing to add: Focal’s metal tweeters are harsh with audible and measurable resonances and breakups. It is not your mix or test recordings that are harsh if you reference them to good soft dome monitors. It is the Focal monitors that are harsh. The tweeters are dog****, even the beryllium.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blayz2002 View Post
Ha ha,

You sound like a hater lol.

Definitely not my experience of using the Shape 65. I find them very accurate and with some room treatment and Sonarworks I get great mixes.
Classic deaf Newcomer hater
Old 4th July 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simma Lugnt View Post
Classic deaf Newcomer hater
Just because you’re too deaf to hear the resonances and ringing anymore in a poor sounding metal tweeter doesn’t mean they’re not there.
Old 5th July 2019
Quote:
Just because you’re too deaf to hear the resonances and ringing anymore in a poor sounding metal tweeter doesn’t mean they’re not there.
Stop talking nonsense. Who made you the official on speaker quality? You are just one person with one set of ears, that may or may not have heard a range of speakers in certain rooms, and formed an opinion. That does not make your opinion official. Either contribute something useful or sit back and observe.

As anyone with any experience of using speakers should know, it's not necessarily about how the speakers sound (not to say the Shapes do not sound good, there's is an overwhelming opinion that they do), it's whether you can get a good mix on them or not, after learning them in your environment.
Old 5th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
2x Classic deaf Newcomer hater
Old 21st July 2019
Here for the gear

UP!
I have Alpha 80. Does it make sense to upgrade to Shape Twin? How are they with low frequencies? Any ideas?
Old 23rd July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aid Idealismus View Post
UP!
I have Alpha 80. Does it make sense to upgrade to Shape Twin? How are they with low frequencies? Any ideas?
Definitely. Superior monitor all around.
Old 23rd July 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaE View Post
Definitely. Superior monitor all around.
I'm worried that the shape twin speakers is 5. The alpha has 8. I would not want to lose control of the low frequencies. If I cannot control completely low frequencies on the shape twin, then I would buy the second pair of shape 50 and leave alpha.
Old 23rd July 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aid Idealismus View Post
I'm worried that the shape twin speakers is 5. The alpha has 8. I would not want to lose control of the low frequencies. If I cannot control completely low frequencies on the shape twin, then I would buy the second pair of shape 50 and leave alpha.
You may lose bass volume the Shape Twins go down to 40Hz, but the bass will be superior in terms of tightness, clarity and accuracy. Also, the mids and the highs will be superior.

You might actually be better off with the Shape 65 (I have this) it goes down to 40Hz and I find the bass very accurate and my mixes translate very well. I used to have the Yamaha HS8 and was a little worried about losing low end, but I could never get the bass to translate on the Yammies, and in reality, they were too big for my room. I haven't looked back.

I have now though added a sub to the Shape 65's, so have the best of all worlds with the low end although I could easily mix without it.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search