The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Neumann U87 GOLD
Old 16th May 2018
Here for the gear

Neumann U87 GOLD

Hello everyone,
I'm new here, so bare with me while I navigate the threads.
I know there are short discussions out there about sound quality of the U87 gold, history, and even some talk about the value.
I'm hoping someone can shed some light on what they are worth nowadays. And I'm hoping someone with an UNBIASED opinion, who has some real knowledge of the value of mics like this. Thanks in advance for any and all info!!!
Old 16th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musictomyears View Post
Hello everyone,
I'm new here, so bare with me while I navigate the threads.
I know there are short discussions out there about sound quality of the U87 gold, history, and even some talk about the value.
I'm hoping someone can shed some light on what they are worth nowadays. And I'm hoping someone with an UNBIASED opinion, who has some real knowledge of the value of mics like this. Thanks in advance for any and all info!!!
Neumann u87 AI vs. U87

Any particular reason you want the gold?

I'm aware the older u87s all sound slightly different, and I've never personally used a gold.. but I haven't read anything indicating that the gold components alter the sound much (especially for the hike in price)
Old 17th May 2018
Lives for gear

The gold 87 was an anniversary commemorative edition. It's real gold on the plating and a very limited number were made. Not sure on the value but, as with most things like this, time plus original condition generally means rising value. At worst, it's a very nice 87 system but is functionally no different than a standard 87 of the same vintage. I do know for a fact that Neumann was quite fussy about QC on these, so these should be prime examples.
Old 17th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by burp182 View Post
(...) I do know for a fact that Neumann was quite fussy about QC on these, so these should be prime examples.
If you "do know his for a fact", please detail what exactly you know about preferential selection for the Gold Edition, and who your source for that information is.

From my knowledge of the company's policy and philosophy, it makes no sense what you say: customers would be pissed if they found out that they got leftovers from 'extra fussy QC' mics put aside for special series or customers.

To my knowledge, Neumann's quality control is exactly one and the same for all mics issued (there were some pair-machings for pair sales for a while, but that period is over as well, and it was not based on QC).

Last edited by Klaus; 17th May 2018 at 07:17 PM..
Old 17th May 2018
Lives for gear

I was sales manager at one of Neumann's largest single US dealers. When these microphones were announced, the head of production in Europe sat at my desk and told me exactly what I said here. Believe him or not at your own discretion but the information came directly from the horse's mouth.
Old 17th May 2018
Lives for gear

Who was the person who told you that? "Head of production for Europe" is not a title I recognize.
If you are uncomfortable to publicize his name, you can PM or email me.

Thank you
KH

Last edited by Klaus; 18th May 2018 at 12:33 AM..
Old 18th May 2018
Lives for gear

"In Europe", not "for Europe".

PM sent.
Old 18th May 2018
Lives for gear

Sorry for "for" vs. "in". I had hoped for further clarification through your PM, but I understand your situation.

I will inquire with Neumann's management and post once I have a reply. I have a hard time believing that such suicidal policy would ever have been adopted by Neumann.

Last edited by Klaus; 18th May 2018 at 02:25 AM..
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search